need a roll lesson

Open Discussion

sean ross
Name: sean ross

need a roll lesson

Post by sean ross » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:48 pm

I'm looking for someone to teach me how to roll. Recently bought a Jackson super hero. Will pay for a teaching session. Been fishing from kayaks for many years but new to whitewater kayaks. thanks Sean 501 940 5560.

Lupe
Name: Heather Huckeba

Re: need a roll lesson

Post by Lupe » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:49 pm

It would help to know where you are. If you are near Little Rock, then there are free UALR pool sessions and there are several folks who will be there willing to teach you to roll. (Closed this Saturday for holiday, but usually open on Wed and Saturday unless swim meets close it)

http://www.arkansascanoeclub.com/Defaul ... eId=490025

Also, folks might be willing to work with you at Rockport before or after the "peak" surf times at the ledge. With the drought this year, the releases are very short, so folks probably will not want to lose play time to work with you, but would be willing to do so after the water drops.

For either of these, post up when you can go there and see if someone will be there who can help to be sure you have someone to meet up with, although chances are very good you can show up at either and just ask around and likely find someone to work with you...just don't be shy about asking.

If you're not near central Arkansas, post your whereabouts and others in your area can chime in.

Assuming the release at Rockport is still 12-4 tomorrow (Saturday), I plan to be there from 3-5ish and would be willing to work with you after the water drops...sometime after 5 probably.

PS - it can help when first learning to be sure to have nose plugs and/or goggles so you can open your eyes under the water to get oriented.

Good luck!
I've heard that into every life a little of it must fall,
but you'll never catch me complaining about too much of that southern rain.
~ Michael Timmins, Cowboy Junkies

Shep
Name: Paul Shepherd

Post by Shep » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:10 am

The Northwest Chapter will be hosting a roll session on Saturday Morning at Rendezvous this year. We've got 3-5 people lined up to teach kayak rolling, and I am looking for someone to help me teach open-boat rolling as well. </shameless plug>. Hope you'll join us!

Thanks,
Paul
Paul Shepherd

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats (said the water rat solemnly)." - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

sean ross

Post by sean ross » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks. I'm in Little Rock, guess that would've helped to mention that. Went to Rockport last weekend. Will try it again. Are people usually at the pool sessions at UALR? I stopped by one Saturday and nobody was there.

Lupe

Post by Lupe » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:28 pm

During warmer months, not very many people go to the pool on a Saturday...most would rather hit Rockport or do other things outside. Wed nights have more people going regularly.

I'll be in an orange kayak, purple helmet at the ledge today...maybe see you there.

sean ross

Post by sean ross » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Thanks, I'll be there. I'll be in an orange Jackson

Lupe

Post by Lupe » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:28 pm

Shep wrote:The Northwest Chapter will be hosting a roll session on Saturday Morning at Rendezvous this year. We've got 3-5 people lined up to teach kayak rolling, and I am looking for someone to help me teach open-boat rolling as well. </shameless plug>. Hope you'll join us!

Thanks,
Paul
Oh, oh, oh! I'm happy to help teach kayak roll, but sign me up for open boat rolling! I really, really want to learn how to roll my canoe!!!! (and maybe by then i'll FINALLY have my pump installed)

Social Media