Dallas Standing Wave, Status?

Open Discussion

MaxTexan
Name: dave

Dallas Standing Wave, Status?

Post by MaxTexan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:24 am

I have to go to Dallas early next week. Is teh standing wave accessible? The current flow is about 650 cfs, is that the sufficient to surf?

thanks in advance

Renee H

Re: Dallas Standing Wave, Status?

Post by Renee H » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:51 am

Dave - when are you going to be in Dallas? I will be there next week as well? Sunday - Wednesday. Staying in Las Colinas for a seminar and plan to have my boat with me if it will fit in the rental car!

Big Daddy D

Post by Big Daddy D » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:56 pm

I actually had dinner with the project manager of the D wave last weekend. He was passing through Salida and we got together for some food. The latest on the Dallas Wave is that it has been handed over to the people in charge of the bike trail. It is still not officially open and they have changed the lock on the gate so the old combination we had does not work. He doubts it will open anytime soon, because of...well...politics. However, you can park at the DART station parking lot on the east side of 8th Street and hike down with your boat. Follow the concrete path for several hundred yards and then cut under the railroad track bridge and follow the dirt road down to the river. It is maybe 1/3 of a mile hike.

I have not been on the wave recently at 650. My guess is that it's not much at this level. At best, a small pocket on surfers left on the top wave, but mostly greening out at this level. I believe Lorraine went down there recently at around this level, so she may have recent beta for you.

If you get lucky and a thunderstorm hits, the wave may come up, or you may contact Phil and get a lap or two on White Rock Creek. It has some fun surfing at 1000 cfs and above. Hope that helps.

MaxTexan

Post by MaxTexan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:31 pm

Renee..... I trip wil be a quick one. I have a presentation to make Monday moring and plan to drive home that day. I was in Ft Worth this week so far; so I need to be hone for family and work next week.

Big Daddy.. thanks for the beta.. perhaps Lorriane will post. As I recall from an earlier post the river downstream is deep enough to practice rolls, etc. right?

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Post by kayakmamma » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:43 am

Hey guys-- all that BDD said is correct. It's still fun, and good practice even at this level. Call me and let's go paddle!
Renee- have fun FrIday night! It doesn't look we'll be coming up for Surf/Turf because the release is so short. It's hard to justify drive 4+ hours each way, when the A/C went out in my van- bummer. :thumbdown: 682-551-three one zero one
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

MaxTexan

Post by MaxTexan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:23 pm

KM,

My presentation is in the mornig on Monday. I will probably seekout the standing wave early afternoon (1-2) before returning home. Hope to get under way towards Amarillo by 3 pm.

Dave

MaxTexan

Post by MaxTexan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Can you get me a litte better idea where the 8th Steet DART station is? thanks

MaxTexan

Post by MaxTexan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:23 pm

If in Dallas... you should go. At 550 cfs the waves are a bit raggy for great surfing but fun area to practice. I accessed the ww park via the Santa Fe Trestle Trail. Trailhead is in the parking lot east and south of the intersection of 8th and Cornith. The walk down is 5/8 mile. A killer at 102, bright sunshine.

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Post by kayakmamma » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Glad you had a good time MaxTexan! :clap:
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

MaxTexan

Post by MaxTexan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:52 am

more water less walking would have been nice... it has been since 4/30 that I have been in a boat!

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Post by RomanLA » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:56 pm

I'll be passing through Dallas this weekend. Anyone know the status of the wave?

MaxTexan

Post by MaxTexan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:54 pm

There waw no one around to bother me when I was there in July. Just a long wal (abut 1 miles) to the wave. If it is 500 cfs and above, it maybe worth the stop.

Big Daddy D

Post by Big Daddy D » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:22 pm

RomanLA wrote:I'll be passing through Dallas this weekend. Anyone know the status of the wave?
If you go down there, PM me. I can give you the combo to the lock so you don't have to walk. But it's barely 400 cfs. Not much to write home about.

Social Media