Info on dam3 to hardy

Open Discussion

gibson84
Name: brian gibson

Info on dam3 to hardy

Post by gibson84 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi Guys,

Last year my wife and I stayed a week in the ozarks and really enjoyed fishing spring river between dam 3 and the bayou, this year we want to explore further but I am looking for an idea of how rough the ride gets. I've read on a few sites that it can be rough, can most big drops be portaged if needed? How is high falls? is there a bypass channel? We will have fishing gear and not exactly looking to get dumped.

We will be in 2 native watercraft ultimates

Also, any tips on the south fork? I would like to take my father in law on a 8 mile or so trip in the yaks on the south fork but, any suggestions on launching would be great!

Thanks,

Brian

Al Donaldson

Re: Info on dam3 to hardy

Post by Al Donaldson » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:01 pm

Dan:

Between the Bayou Access and Hardy, there are about 15 ledges ranging from 1 foot to 3 foot drops, one mandatory portage at a low-water bridge, and the High Falls, which is a pretty legitimate 4 to 5 foot drop.

Many of the ledges do have "work arounds." but some do not. The High Falls can be avoided wither by running another interesting ledge to river left or can be portaged on extreme river right.

There is a photo of High Falls being run in an TB Arkota at:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11559649 ... banner=pwa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your own ability will determine whether or not you can run the lower section without mishap. Personally, I'd not run the lower section with any valuable gear that is not lashed into the boat...

(but, then, that is just me...)

Regards,

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Ave.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
alandonaldson@cfu.net
(319) 277-3194

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Re: Info on dam3 to hardy

Post by Deuce » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:09 pm

The South Fork is a great little fishing float, Check with South Fork Resort for launch and shuttle info. They're nice folks and will help however they can.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Social Media