Fishing kayak advice needed

Open Discussion

Jaredpcci
Name: Jared

Fishing kayak advice needed

Post by Jaredpcci » Tue May 15, 2012 1:28 am

Kinda starting to get the itch for another boat. I'm really interested in a big fishing kayak. I will also use if for solo overnighters so it'll have to have some room for gear. I'm considering a Wilderness Systems Commander 140.

Pros/Cons? Any advice is welcome.

plastic worm

Re: Fishing kayak advice needed

Post by plastic worm » Tue May 15, 2012 12:51 pm

I don't have a WS but I do have a native ult 14.5 that I love. I don't think there's much difference between these boats. I saw the native 1st and knew it was right for me. So I won't recommend a specific boat. However, I can say that hybrids are great for fishing and solo camping. I stand and fish often so the stability is great in the native...not sure about the commander. If that is something that you're interested in you should give hybrids a look...I will say that I'm 35 and consider myself very fit, what is easy for me might not be for someone else. The good stuff- weekly 10-12 hour fishing trips are common for me, mine isn't difficult to paddle or uncomfortable to sit/stand. The seat is great...never have back pain...and I can take it out for a camp chair (just bring a crate or something to set it on for a better sitting position). I take mine everywhere...lakes (big/small), Ozark rivers/streams. Weekend camping trips are no concern...longer than 2 or 3 nights would require some thought. I have no regrets. If you have specific questions let me know.

Camping earlier this month.
Also-when needed I can take along a full size cooler.
Attachments
camp on Crooked creek 2012.jpg
bass 2.99.jpg
Blog@: http://looknfishy.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FB@: https://www.facebook.com/looknfishy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IG@: https://instagram.com/looknfishy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jaredpcci
Name: Jared

Post by Jaredpcci » Tue May 15, 2012 5:50 pm

PW:

Where do you fish most often? How does your boat paddle with a load of gear?

Jared

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Tue May 15, 2012 11:02 pm

You really can't lose.. Commander or Ultimate = great boat for fishing and camping.
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

plastic worm

Post by plastic worm » Tue May 15, 2012 11:26 pm

Most of the time I fish in SE Ark or LA. I'm from NLR so I get up there pretty often also...about 1 weekend a month. I try to get to the buffalo or crooked creek a few times a year. I do all my kayak camping in the ozarks.

I would say that it paddles good w/ gear...assuming you mean camping gear. I keep the weight under 100#'s, including me that's about 60% of it's max capacity. But I try to keep it as light as I can b/c there is a loss w/ the additional weight. It's a breeze compared to my 169 discovery canoe. I can 180 it in a few strokes and park it in slack water w/o spooking every fish w/in casting distance. I'm sure it's slower but I don't notice how much slower b/c I'm fishing. Last June I went camping on the buffalo w/ my brother in the canoe (2 nights gear), we drug a few times and had to walk once. Went back 2 weeks later in my kayak (1 night of gear) and never got in the water. Hope that helps. It's not an issue for me.
Blog@: http://looknfishy.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FB@: https://www.facebook.com/looknfishy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IG@: https://instagram.com/looknfishy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stymie

Post by stymie » Wed May 16, 2012 9:09 am

Jared,

How do you plan to use the boat?
What type of water so you plan to fish the most, moving or flat?
What times of the year do you plan to fish?

I have an Ultimate 14.5

The commander is very similar in design but I have never paddled one. It is a tunnel hull or double pontoon hull like the ultimate so I would think the following would apply to the commander as well.

What I have found after 3 years with my Ultimate.

It is a great boat but it has some limitations.

It is not the best solution for late fall winter and early spring. These are the times we have the most water. Because it sits so low waves from riffles come over the bow at will. It can make for a wet cold ride at those times.

If you plan to do any longer float camp trips like the lower buffalo you are limited to the gear you can take. I had to start thinking light and small. The boat can handle the weight no problem but because the gunnels so lo you can create a top heavy load and make the boat very slow on flat water.

If you plan to fish year round and camp a lot I would consider a canoe.
I have a Mad River Legend 15 converted to a solo boat.
It cost the same as my Ultimate. It weighs the same as my Ultimate. I can stand and fish out of it. It drafts less water than my ultimate. It is fast on flat water even loaded.

It has become my go to boat. I load it before my ultimate without even thinking about it.

Spend a little time thinking about how, when and where you want to use a boat before making a decision.

plastic worm

Post by plastic worm » Wed May 16, 2012 11:22 am

I agree w/ stymie you have to decide where you'll use it most. Since I only use it in the ozarks a few times-I have a bow skirt that I use when on the river. It helps some but I do get water in the boat. For me it's the best option...during the summer we take our ski boat to the lake. I want to fish so I have a boat that I can take along...in the morning I fish and in the afternoon we ski...I would have gotten a solo canoe if I were up there more...and will most likely in the future...there isn't 1 boat that does everything well...you need a fleet :grin: . I have a ski boat, alum bass boat, tandem canoe, and solo kayak.

Dannyboy
Name: Danny

Post by Dannyboy » Wed May 16, 2012 1:46 pm

I have a WS Tarpon 120 Angler that is a little different, but I absolutely love it and can't sing WS's praises highly enough. Best constructed kayak I've ever owned! My GF however has the Mad River Synergy 12, and they make a 14' model as well. It's very similar to the Commander so you might want to look at those as well. I'm Very impressed with her's and its ability to haul more gear and stay drier than my Tarpon, and plan on adding a 14 to the stable as soon as opportunity arises. For what its worth. Here's a link:
http://www.madrivercanoe.com/product/in ... synergy_12
"Never Argue with an idiot - they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Corran Addison

jreddig
Name: Jeremy

Post by jreddig » Mon May 21, 2012 9:24 pm

I just recently purchased a jackson coosa for river fishing and it is very nice. The seat, which has a high and low position, is amazing. I am around 165 ish and can stand and fish in it comfortably. It truly was designed for river fishing. I have yet to camp out of mine but it has a ton of storage in its hull. It really is a neat boat that is designed around river fishing. It even did well offshore in the gulf fishing for king mackerel last week. Jackson also has the the Cuda that is larger and would be more suited for open water fishing.

We (my dad and I) also have a native manta ray 12 and an ultimate 12 as well. I obviously prefer the Coosa but the manta and ultimate are nice as well. I really like SOT kayaks though, and the jackson Coosa has been the best SOT river fishing platform I have found. Try several and pick the one you like. The guys at Ouachita Outdoor Outfiitters (OOO) in Hot Springs will be more than happy to let you demo any of the above boats mentioned and pick the one you like. However, be warned you will come away from OOO wanting a boat, or two, or three.

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Tue May 22, 2012 10:56 am

jreddig wrote:I just recently purchased a jackson coosa for river fishing and it is very nice. The seat, which has a high and low position, is amazing. I am around 165 ish and can stand and fish in it comfortably. It truly was designed for river fishing. I have yet to camp out of mine but it has a ton of storage in its hull. It really is a neat boat that is designed around river fishing. It even did well offshore in the gulf fishing for king mackerel last week. Jackson also has the the Cuda that is larger and would be more suited for open water fishing.

We (my dad and I) also have a native manta ray 12 and an ultimate 12 as well. I obviously prefer the Coosa but the manta and ultimate are nice as well. I really like SOT kayaks though, and the jackson Coosa has been the best SOT river fishing platform I have found. Try several and pick the one you like. The guys at Ouachita Outdoor Outfiitters (OOO) in Hot Springs will be more than happy to let you demo any of the above boats mentioned and pick the one you like. However, be warned you will come away from OOO wanting a boat, or two, or three.
I've been eyeballing the Coosa since it came out. Seems like it'd be right up my alley. Any cons so far?
You come too.
Robert Frost

jreddig
Name: Jeremy

Post by jreddig » Tue May 22, 2012 6:28 pm

No complaints or issues thus far. Like any boat it has it's strengths and weaknesses. A couple things that are noticeable is that it likes to catch the wind alot. Prob due to its shape and seat design. It is better with the seat in the low position but still catches alot of wind. It is also rather slow compared to our other boats. And I would have hinged the hull access hatches opposite the way they are currently. The front one is kind of difficult to fully access from the seated position or even while in the boat.

All in all no complaints, just observations and suggestions. Alot of what some people may not like about the Coosa are a necessity to make it the great river fishing boat it is. You may or may not like it, just have to go paddle one and see.

Social Media