Top 10 things at canoe school...(whitewater school)

Open Discussion
Ryan Center
Name: ozarkpaddler

Re: Top 10 things at canoe school...(whitewater school)

Post by Ryan Center » Mon May 07, 2012 9:39 pm

1. Getting to see people I don't get to see but once or twice a year.
2. Ken Wallace for saying something about Dave Renfro missing.
3. Finding Dave Renfro.
4. Bringing most of the campers together Saturday night to see the log of interest.
5. Glad to be a part of the best club in America.
6. Paddledog's wife for getting the baskets there just in time for the fish fry.
7. Getting the 2nd fryer going and having a huge load of stress lifted away.
8. Hush puppies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9. Mark and Pattie for doing a great job as always. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
10. Turner Bend

P.S. baseinba and kru, there was no blow log at turner bend. that was a log of interest!!!

JB2012
Name: James

Post by JB2012 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:50 pm

I had a great time----and really enjoyed that fish dinner. Great! Nice campfire.

DMG
Name: Dave Renfro

Post by DMG » Mon May 07, 2012 11:53 pm

I guess I should weigh in on my Top Ten since everyone is throwing my name around. Here are mine in no particular order:

1: My cheaply-bought entry into that exclusive group of people who have had to be searched for, even if I was found in perfect health, with plenty of food and water, on a heavily travelled road only a few miles from camp. I'm counting it. Thanks, guys!

2: Getting back to camp before Stephen's chicken and dumplings was all gone.

3: Amos and Big Ryan "expressing" fluid from my blister . . . on Stephen's cooler.

4: Stephen's breakfast burritos. Sublime!

5: New friends.

6: Everyone respected the rules and refrained from lighting any dangerous blowlogs.

7: Ken won the boat.

8. Fish and pancakes.

9. Marc and Patty can just hang out next year.

10. Not a lathe or milling machine in sight!
"...a light falling sound, as of grains of sand being sprinkled from a window overhead, gradually spreading, intensifying, acquiring a regular rhythm, becoming fluid, sonorous, musical, immeasurable, universal: it was the rain." --Marcel Proust

kru1
Name: Kristian

Post by kru1 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:40 am

11. I nearly forgot, the A-10 flyover. They were so low I thought they would hit the trees and crash
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Post by kayakmamma » Tue May 08, 2012 11:05 am

1. Getting to be a part of fabulous instructor Liz Caldwell's and Victor's class! Yay K-11!
2. The awesome students who were so game and enthusiastic: Dwayne, Tammy, Laurie, and Kevin!!
3. Getting to take my kiddos: Maddy, Conner, and Mark to WW School! A huge thanks to their wonderful instructors!
4. Getting to paddle on the King River- so beautiful (and so much wildlife-at least 20 snakes)
5. Tom, Stephanie and their kiddos greeting us on the King, knowing they had waited at the take out all day.
6. Seeing a legendary blow log in person, along with the moon and Whip o' will's.
7. Being a part of the ACC-so many great folks
8. Getting my new-to-me boat: a Dagger Mamba 7.5. Yay I love it! Thanks Minna!
9. Tom Burroughs' inspiring work with my daughter Maddy, taking the time and doing so much good.
10. Having so much fun with my North Texas River Running buddies! Go NTRR chapter!

Thank you all for a wonderful weekend. We are all ready looking forward to next year!
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

Lupe
Name: Heather Huckeba

Post by Lupe » Tue May 08, 2012 9:38 pm

I had a blast...got to be a student again, this time in Steve Shepherd and Arthur Bowie's canoe class. My shoulder injury is still limiting what I can paddle in my kayak, but now I can learn all my favorite ww runs all over again in a ww canoe. Discovered that with the right outfitting I can kneel in a canoe without my legs falling asleep right away (this was a big concern for me!). Also learned a lot of kayaking skills do transfer over to canoe...learning canoe with a solid kayak foundation is not at all like starting to learn it from scratch.

I was drawn to trying this as a way to challenge myself in a new way because of an injury, but I think it would be a fun challenge for anyone. I had a student on my kayak class a couple years ago who was trying kayak from canoe, and I think he had a fun time trying something new, and I definitely had a great time trying something new.

If you think you've been to WW School too many times as a student...consider switching one year! It's fun!!!

Don't be surprised to see me in an open boat sometime soon (if it ever rains again). Don't worry, though: I'm not giving up my kayaks...just expanding my horizon!

:D :D :D
I've heard that into every life a little of it must fall,
but you'll never catch me complaining about too much of that southern rain.
~ Michael Timmins, Cowboy Junkies

Shep
Name: Paul Shepherd

Post by Shep » Wed May 09, 2012 1:21 pm

Thanks Lupe! I was hoping the crossover students would enjoy it, and it really sounds like both of you did. Tom Burroughs, very rightly, pointed out to me that we should be encouraging people to go both ways. Hopefully ya'll will see me in a kayak on the Mulberry or Piney before 2012 is out. :)

Shep
Paul Shepherd

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats (said the water rat solemnly)." - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

ShayA
Name: Shay

Post by ShayA » Wed May 09, 2012 9:48 pm

I second all of these and will add...

11. The OOO crew and the gracious paddler with the green hornet Remix XP that gave me a hatch latch off her boat. The OOO guys and gals are truly great folks.

12. The NTRR paddlers I got to spend my first trip with and special thanks to Lorraine who made me a sandwich for Saturday because I got in too late Friday to order a world famous Turner Bend sandwich.

13. Great new paddling friends.

14. Woody and his snake radar.

15. Turner Bend store for stocking earplugs so I didn't hear the bocce ball playing Saturday night.

-- Shay

Social Media