Hi-N-Dry Paddle Shaft Float Invention

Open Discussion
RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Re: Hi-N-Dry Paddle Shaft Float Invention

Post by RomanLA » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:56 pm

I could see where it might be helpful. I've put a pfd on a paddle blade before to help someone keep it on the surface. Personally, I started learning my hand roll using one of my kid's pfds (not while they were wearing it lol). It might be nice to have a Lo-N-Damp version for people wanting less flotation. :)

shaftfloat
Name: Gary

Post by shaftfloat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:32 pm

I'm planning in the next video to show a proper form roll going under on one side and coming up on the other side that is not a backdeck rodeo. A c-to-c roll to be exact. This should clear up a lot of misconceptions that were created by only showing two people who can't roll without the device and have sat in kayaks only a handful of times. Also it never showed anyone go completely underwater... didn't think it had to.... You absolutely can go completely under with this device on. I know how to roll without it and nothing changes with it on except it giving you extra oomph and room for error. If the device makes contact with water a foot or so outside the boat, you don't tip. If you hold it next the boat and lean out over it, your center of gravity goes past it and its buoyancy becomes irrelevant - you flip upside down. While upside down, I can raise my hands over my head, to either side, you name it. The float doesn't have enough strength to yank me this way or that. I control it. Not sure if my words are going to paint a picture or not so I'll just get more video up as soon as I can.

Karla
Name: Karla R.

Post by Karla » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:41 am

Doug made a float with some water noodles and I was not getting my roll and tried it twice last night at the pool and it worked. Maybe it will help ones to start with and then try without afterwards to get your paddle to the surface.

Karla

justin.payne

Post by justin.payne » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:37 am

Wow....I forsee these being sold next to the paddle leashes and pin kits that people that would buy shaft floatation dont know how to use. But what am I saying....I love watching a class II paddler attempt a class IV run because he spent 2 grand on a full face and dry suit. I bet there will be lots of pinned boats this year.

Adam Willard
Name: Adam Willard

Post by Adam Willard » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:57 am

Well I had two of the floats last night at roll class, of course I had to try it out first :D So i just paddle around with it and found that to take a forward stroke your paddle must be 100% vertical so the float doesnt touch the cockpit and to get proper blade depth(cpr) So that would be a good thing for new paddlers too. Ok so lets get to the roll. So if you just fall over and try to get in your set position it is a little difficult. The float is extremely buoyant so you have to use a little force( upper body weight) when rolling over in your set position. Once upside the float will pull both arms to the surface. Now if an experienced boater is trying it they will find it extremely easy to roll. It doesnt get in the way and keeps you in your set up position for a sweep roll. It does slow the sweep down because of having to move it through the water. I had two partcipants that know how to get in their set up position but are punching their none sweeping blade and pulling with their sweeping blade. In my opinion the float doest help with someone that is punching out and doesnt help with their sweep. It does help 100% for holding the boater in thier set up. It also gives the boater and the instructor a little ease when teaching their hip snap. We did have one person get their roll with it on her paddle. When she would sweep and follow the sweeping blade with her eyes she would roll. If she didnt do those things she wasnt rolling with the aid on her paddle. I wouldnt allow a patcipant to have it on a paddle in a river. In my opinion if a paddler is on classII+ or higher they need to be working on their roll in a controlled environment to learn proper technique first. Im not saying a person cant work on their roll in a river with it. I just dont want to give new boaters the impression that with the float they can run bigger water. Every new boater needs to learn how to roll, self rescue and swiming in moving water with their gear. So with all of that said i would give the float a thumbs up to help with rolling but not to replace learning proper technique. My personal thoughts on it reminds me of learning to ride a bike. Once i learned how to balance, turn, stop and all the other cool stuff my parents took the training wheels off. The float is a a great training aid in a controlled environment for learning to roll, just dont put in the place of learning your roll.
Sincerely,
Adam Willard

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:58 am

Adam,

Thanks man for a well executed test and report on this device.

I appreciate you doing this test.

It answers my questions.

dave
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Post by RomanLA » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:36 pm

Adam Willard wrote:In my opinion the float doest help with someone that is punching out and doesnt help with their sweep. It does help 100% for holding the boater in thier set up. It also gives the boater and the instructor a little ease when teaching their hip snap.
I'm guessing the biggest benefit would be to those teaching the C-to-C roll.

RiverRummer
Name: BUH

Post by RiverRummer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:26 pm

aren't these like the paddle floats for rec. boats, but slightly different setup?
seems like it would make it harder to get a correct setup and roll? or easier to develop a dependency on the float instead of learning the correct rolling method.
are these just for training in a pool somewhere?
I hope so, but could be wrong. (usually am)
Can't imagine paddling down the river with that thing on my paddle?
but if only used as a teaching "aid" And not used too long, maybe it can help beginners learn to roll more quickly.
but My hats off to you for taking the initiative, and coming up with new ways to make it even easier for beginners!
and it's too bad that there are always people out there who are quick to criticize or bash something they have not tried.(or do not understand)
I do however like the "drop a 50 footer without a broken nose comment" :)lol
Maybe one of them can come out with a skirt with airbags that deploy upon impact (like in your car)....(using those Co2 cartridges)
it often takes a few failures, before success. but you will never get the success without trying new things in the first place.
But you saw the need, had the vision, and then actually did something about it. (something most people never do) keep it up! I hope it works out for you.
Good Luck.
where are these made? ( just curious)

RiverRummer
Name: BUH

Post by RiverRummer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:34 pm

Great write up Adam, that's the kind of stuff we need to see!
Thanks for the firsthand knowledge. I'm sure it cleared up many questions people have. it did for me.

shaftfloat
Name: Gary

Post by shaftfloat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:47 pm

I would recommend this device to people just starting whitewater on safe, class I-II rivers whether or not they have a roll. If they already learned their roll, and they are already doing class II-III but their roll is inconsistent, I think they will feel the benefits more than anyone. But perhaps I'm biased because that was me last year. I could roll in a pool 5-6 times in a row, I got rolling lessons from two instructors, I could roll in a rapid, but my combat roll was unreliable and I would get panicky too easily when underwater in a rapid and just wet exit after 1 attempt. With this device, I am extremely confident and roll with ease. It will be interesting to hear more tests done with beginners. Use of the device as a learning aid for someone with no roll instead of a confidence boost and aid for someone with a basic concept and some practice rolling is fairly untested and I imagine individual results will vary...

shaftfloat1
Name: John

Post by shaftfloat1 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:47 am

Nantahala Cascades Highlights Using Hi-N-Dry Rolling Aid

West Fork of Tuckaseegee River Highlights Using Hi-N-Dry Rolling Aid

Social Media