Hi-N-Dry Paddle Shaft Float Invention

Open Discussion
shaftfloat
Name: Gary

Hi-N-Dry Paddle Shaft Float Invention

Post by shaftfloat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:16 am

I invented a device for the sport of kayaking. It makes rolling a kayak a breeze and is great as a confidence booster. It is especially great as a learning aid for beginners. Several instructors have told me they plan to use one with students. Check it out: shaftfloat.com

hi-n-dry-kayaking-roll-paddle-shaft-flotation-device-gary-downing-sr.jpg

Fish

Re: Hi-N-Dry Paddle Shaft Float Invention

Post by Fish » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:27 pm

Can you say paddle sponsons? 8)

canoe

Post by canoe » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:13 pm

I saw this on another board, and there where some concerns about liabitity, as well about how this product might encourage some folks who wern't quite ready to step up a level or so, to do so too early. I'm not a K1 boater, so I don't know that I have an opinion that counts. dale

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:47 am

canoe wrote:I'm not a K1 boater, so I don't know that I have an opinion that counts. dale
Ha! You should know your opinion counts to us!

Fish - that was my first thought also; I immediately flashed back to our GC discussions!

Tip to the inventor: Don't get crazy and start filing lawsuits and accusing people of mass murder if they fail to require your invention to be sold as "standard equipment" with every kayak paddle made!
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

panicman

Post by panicman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:29 pm

looks like it could be a usefull tool. Now I can drop that 50 footer and not break my nose with my paddle.

CAPTAIN ALEVE
Name: Mike Coogan

Post by CAPTAIN ALEVE » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:50 pm

Don’t be surprised if you see a product of this type at Canoe School before long. The “shaft float” concept for beginning kayakers has caught the attention of the ACA which is studying whether or not to require its use at ACA sponsored paddling schools. Wisconsin just began requiring all paddle-powered craft to have shaft flotation devices that meet the Type I Coast Guard requirements. Discussions have already taken place between the AGFC and a state legislative committee about whether to implement the same requirement in Arkansas. The Gazette reported about three weeks ago that the topic was brought up in a committee meeting earlier this month. What probably is driving the movement nationally is the backing of both the Mustang and Revere pfd companies. They have come out with a CO2 powered, automatically inflating version that they are selling at below cost to paddle manufacturers. Sales of refill cartridges will be their source of profit. Check the web and you will find many versions of the foam model are now available, including some with drink holders in the foam. For that reason alone I’ll bet we’ll see them at the Spring River later this year.

Captain Aleve, alias Mike Coogan
PHOTOS: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17863908@N03/sets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More paddling info at http://class2arkansas.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:07 pm

Captn, maybe in this politically correct, big government knows best and take zero chances in life situation we live in today, your post may well be correct.

My personal opinion is requiring a bunch of foam on your kayak paddle" (next would be single blade paddles) is a dumb idea for most paddlers.

some might say well Dave, you support PFD's why not a paddle PFD.

my response is a PFD is designed to be worn close to your body, not hinder movement for the most part and stay with you if properly sized and worn. A paddle shaft is designed to give you power and control strokes and in my opinion should not be attached to your body or have some cumbersome chunk of foam on the shaft to get in the way of proper paddle technique.

At some point in time boaters need to take responsibility for their gear, learning how to paddle what ever they use and generally do what is needed to develop their skill set not rely on a chunk of foam on their paddle shaft.

Sorry for the semi rant, in my opinion all we need is another device designed to make money for some manufacturer with political contacts and give the officials more reasons to harass boaters or develop another bureaucratic paddle police function.

On second thought, maybe some gyro mounted beer cozie that keeps your Bud Lite safe might change my mind!
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Fish

Post by Fish » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:59 pm

panicman wrote:looks like it could be a usefull tool. Now I can drop that 50 footer and not break my nose with my paddle.
You'll need the new High-Brace Airbag(TM) for that. Combine it with the Helium Bag Lift System(TM) on your kayak for pillow-soft, no-risk landings off of big drops! Drop it like Bradt or Tao with all of the thrill but none of the spinal fractures!

- Fish

Roger

Post by Roger » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:09 pm

Dave, hard to read the intent of Cap'n's post due to the nature of the electronic medium.

Money quote is
CAPTAIN ALEVE wrote:What probably is driving the movement nationally is the backing of both the Mustang and Revere pfd companies.
Get the salesmen/lobbyist for the PFD companies out of the business of "selling" the need for these laws to our representatives as something necessary. This is a prime example of the "free" market at work on all levels of our country's government.

Gotta create a steady market for the product even if it is a stupid product.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:39 pm

Good eye Roger.

Still seems a lot of buddy buddy stuff to me between these manufacturers and the various agencies.

I just do not see the logic of using these devices unless the individual wants them.

My thanks to you for a good detail read and Mike for posting this information.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Roger

Post by Roger » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:06 pm

Dave, really do not like politics on this board to be honest. Except sometimes politics come to the paddling community. Land use, land owner rights, protection of the watersheds for whatever reason. Heck, even water rights when you start looking at how the waters in our rivers belong to certain states and the primary use of those waters directly affect our sport.

Lots of cookie-cutter legislation being enacted on the local, county, and state levels of government that is being produced by some groups that operate nationally as tax-free entities. Not saying that this is a product of the group that I have in mind but it sounds like something that they would endorse.

What Coogan describes is the classic push of business on government especially in the day of Citizens United. What a misnomer.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

CAPTAIN ALEVE
Name: Mike Coogan

Post by CAPTAIN ALEVE » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:06 pm

As I mentioned, my primary source of information was the Gazette article from about three weeks ago, I believe it was in the Sunday edition that came out on the 1st.

1st of April edition.

Hello, Fish?

Those floats might actually be useful for beginners, as advertised.

Cap'n
PHOTOS: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17863908@N03/sets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More paddling info at http://class2arkansas.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

paddledog

Post by paddledog » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:20 am

Is it just me or does no one else notice
that you can't even go fully upside down.
I am for what ever works, just seems
unrealistic of a starting point to learn to roll.
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:37 am

It's hard to not be skeptical or kid a little bit when something new shows up; I hope the inventor (who is also a guest on our board) understands that and doesn't get discouraged if we can't resist making a few humorous comments.

People used to laugh at boaters who wore nose clips; now the general consensus is that it is at least "OK" and probably helps prevent a lot of nasty sinus infections.

All kidding aside, I'd like to try this out with someone learning to roll and see if it helps them get down some of the motion concepts or not. In the videos, it is pretty clear that if you lift your head, you still don't come up. But you can get a breath, and when you correct and roll the boat up with your lower body while keeping your head down, then things start working for you. That is a critical and yet difficult to teach concept for most beginners. I've tried teaching that with pool floats, but it generally confuses beginners more because they just lose their grip on the float; at least this float is gripped exactly the same way you grip your paddle, because it is the paddle. I do still believe it would be good to transition past using this "training wheel" as quickly as possible, so that you don't end up depending on something that adds nearly two pounds of weight to your paddle. Time will tell.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Adam Willard
Name: Adam Willard

Post by Adam Willard » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:40 pm

Hey Cowper, if your coming to ww school and helping with a class ill have one you can borrow. We have about a month of roll class left so ill find out pretty quick if they help. To the inventor my hats off to you for thinking outside the box, and good luck!!!
Sincerely,
Adam Willard

Social Media