Glover River - Southeast Oklahoma

Open Discussion

Cabra Loca 87
Name: Reese

Glover River - Southeast Oklahoma

Post by Cabra Loca 87 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:06 pm

Wanting some tips for the Glover River in Southeast Oklahoma. Where is a good put in and take out point for a day trip of around 5 river miles? I have read reviews on southwest paddlers website, but the road numbers are wrong and google maps shows it to be a maze of dirt roads that one could easily get lost in. I live in northeast texas and normally go to the Lower Mountain Fork or Cossatot Rivers since they are both about 2 hours from my house. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

MaxTexan
Name: dave

Re: Glover River - Southeast Oklahoma

Post by MaxTexan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:54 pm

American Whitewater site has pretty sketcky info also. The link to the source of the info paddleyak is not useful, site under construction.

panicman

Post by panicman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:39 pm

real good fishing river is what I know and watch out because locals down there might not take kindly to you floating thru their property. Remember it is in oklahoma.

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:30 pm

Okieboater might be able to help. Send him a PM.
You come too.
Robert Frost

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:01 pm

I ran it a couple times back in the mid 70's.

If memory correct it was a fun nice scenery little stream for canoes and fishing. Only one rapid I remember and it was not much. Water quality was good.

Seems like there used to be a Boy Scout camp where we launched one time.

Sorry but that is all I remember. We found the Cossatot a short time after running Glover and Mt Fork and that was it for the Glover.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Cabra Loca 87
Name: Reese

Post by Cabra Loca 87 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks for the info Okieboater. Never been on the Glover and just considered it for a change of scenary. I hope they let up on the dam releases a bit for the Lower Mountain Fork. Its been rollin' for a few weeks now...well over the re-regulation dam.

okieboater

Post by okieboater » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:26 am

One creek we really liked in that area and had fun on was the Eagle Fork. Runs into Mountain Fork. We put in up high at a spot called Cucumber Creek and run down to the Mt Fork. This little jewel of a stream makes you think you are in CO (takes a bit of imagination but you have to see it to believe it). Great water quality, excellent scenery (there are a few summer homes close to the creek) and worth the effort to get a run in.

:thumbdown: BEWARE at runnable levels there are a couple reversals that need to be portaged. If memory correct they are at bridge crossings. So, if you do run the eagle fork, be super alert in the upper parts for reversals. I think the highway is OK 259.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

Jim E
Name: Jim Enns

Post by Jim E » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:15 pm

Most all of the Glover runs through the Three Rivers Wildlife Area. It requires an annual permit to access. $40 for residents and $85 for non-residents. They recentally changed the boudaries around the river making it even more confusing...
I have only run the river once because of the permit thing.
Eagle Fork creek is a great run and have done it a few times. Normally run from SH114 at Octavia and take out at the "The Narrows" on the Upper Mountain Fork since the creek feeds it about a mile above. Can take out at the old highway 259 bridge just upstream from the river an creek confluence but it is a bit steep around there. The Upper Mountain Fork has some bigger rapids when it is up but there are some pretty long pools in between!
Just living the liquid lifestyle!!!

Jim Enns <*)))))))))><

ROBERT GEORGE SCHARNHORST
Name: rgs

Post by ROBERT GEORGE SCHARNHORST » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:34 am

the eagle fork is a trill. i put in at low water dam #1 (mile 0.0 in river and rapids book) and took out at the narrows. it is a better float then mtn. fork. river and rapids is the only book i have found with any ok. rivers. the glover is one of two ok. rivers i have left to do. i have done some scouting and yes it is a lot of dirt roads. the camp is called camp glover and it is at mile 10.3 and the book shows two rapids between there and the next bridge. i really want to put in where the west fork and east fork come togeather ( mile 0.0) but this is in the wma. i think the wma has grown some since i was over there. it seemed that most of it was forrest co. land. maybe the club can contact the wma and get a one time waver and in return we can give them some press ( video, internet, newspaper). i want to paddle this river real bad.

robert

L.A.paddler

Post by L.A.paddler » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:29 am

IMO Buck creek on highway 2 is the best WW run in this area that holds water for more than a day. And the main reason I say this is because of access, you can drive a 2wd vehicle to the put in. I know Pine creek has bigger drops. But only a few of us have access to it and only when it is not deer or turkey season. At good water levels Buck is a very continous II+ III creek. At high water it is a three mile class III rapid basically. There are very few pools on this run. It is, again IMO Oklahoma's best kept WW secret creek.
Myself and a couple of others are working to buy some land near the put in. In hopes we can continue to have access to this beautiful creek. I am afraid if we do not get this done quikly we will lose access, and that would be a very big shame in my eyes. Wish us luck and I will keep you guys posted on what comes of this.

Thanks, Terry DeMoe

Directpoppy
Name: David Blair

Post by Directpoppy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:47 pm

okieboater wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:01 pm
I ran it a couple times back in the mid 70's.

If memory correct it was a fun nice scenery little stream for canoes and fishing. Only one rapid I remember and it was not much. Water quality was good.

Seems like there used to be a Boy Scout camp where we launched one time.

Sorry but that is all I remember. We found the Cossatot a short time after running Glover and Mt Fork and that was it for the Glover.
Camp Glover.

okieboater

Post by okieboater » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:59 pm

Note: That Boy Scout Camp may not be a public put in. If memory correct, we were working off a map. Saw the BSA camp and just drove in. No one there and we had a shuttle bunny so we launched, did the run and got picked up on the paved highway.

Terry is a great source of information on OK little run creeks. Worth while to chat with Terry (a good friend and boater)

Pine and Clear Creeks are solid fun runs, been a while for me to run them but Terry, Randy Jackson and a few other ACC boaters made several runs back in the day. As Terry mentioned Buck creek holds better than Pine and Clear. We spent time with OK State Parks and several other organizations hoping to get Clear Creek into a park of some type. Lots of interest but no one had the money to invest. Clear Creek reminds me a lot of my birth area in North GA. Randy and myself spent several weekends scouting that area. Lots of short steepies in the area to be run. But, you have to camp there the night before and hope it rains all night. Which is what Randy and myself did. Beautiful little area around Clayton. Lots of Texas 4 wheelers love this area.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

Social Media