Anybody for some backpacking?

Open Discussion

ouachita hiker
Name: Tom Trigg

Anybody for some backpacking?

Post by ouachita hiker » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:21 pm

I know that the water is nearly non-existent. If you have given some thought to heading into the woods on foot I would like to invite my friends in the ACC to Backpacking Arkansas's first ever Gathering of Hikers. This will be the weekend of Oct. 15th and 16th. You don't have to be a member of BPA.com to attend and it is free, except for the camping fee here at Horshoebend. We will have outdoor related workshops all day long beginning at 9 AM. At the present time I am expecting over fourty folks here that weekend plus some cub scouts that will be independent of our activities.

The schedule is below:

The weekend of Oct. 15 and 16 BPA.com will sponsoring backpacker/hiker workshops at Horseshoe Bend Park, five miles from Dierks, AR.
Here are Coordinates for HSB. 34.14142583 -94.093311658
The workshops are below:

8:00 to 9:00 Registration

9:00 to 9:45 Make Your on Backpacking Meals, Mark Adams (trailrelic), Discussion after.

10:00 to 10:45 Backpacking Stoves, White Gas, Canister, Alcohol, Wood, Esbit. Differences, pros and cons of each. I will demonstrate the NEW SOTO Micro Regulator stove, the canister stove that can be used in very low temps and use all of a canister. Discussion after.
by Tom (ouachitahiker)

11:00 to 11:45 Pitching a Tarp and Ultra Light Gear. Jim Ennis (ULhiker), discussion.

12:00 to 1:00 Noon meal on your own! Since this will be a family oriented event I will encourage all to refrain from drinking Alcohol except on your on camp sites,esp. since we are now to having a cup scout troop the same weekend! Also drinks must be in a coozie or some other form of cover, that is COE rules.

1:00 to 1:45 Hammocks and keeping warm in a hammock. Mike (Smokehouse). If you have a hammock you are encouraged to put it up around the pavilion so everyone can tryout a backpacking hammock. Mike will do the talk.

2:00 to 2:45 DIY Gear", or "Backpacking on the Cheap. Bill will do a presentation on how to build a cat food stove. Bring your empty cat food cans! Plus he will bring some of his DIY gear, if you have some of your own bring it also!

3:00 to 3:30 Ultralight Kits and Tarp Camping, Ulhiker

3:30 to 4:00 Trail Maintenance and Trail Building, Ouachitahiker, AR_hiker, ED

4:00 to 5:00 Open to prepare you meals for the potluck.

5:00 to 6:00 Potluck, dutch oven cooking at the pavilion

6:00 (or when ever) Fitness Challenge awards presentations and prize drawings.

When the awards presentations are over and all of the prizes are drawn we will gather around the campfire and talk backpacking!

The gear swap will actually go all day. We should have plenty of room to have all set up there gear. Place their name and asking price. Most of the workshops will either run from thirty to forty five mins. Folks can get with each other in the between time or after the awards presentations. I will at a later date place a separate area of the forum for you to list what you will be bringing with you for the gear swap. This will be the perfect time to "clean out" the closet, so to speak and help some new folks get into backpacking without breaking the bank.

Sunday the 16th, for those that want to hike, I will lead a hike in the Caney Creek Wilderness Area. We will go in from the WEST trail head, ford the Cossatot River, normally low, and hike to the first crossing of the Caney Creek which is approx. 2.2 to 2.4 miles. Take a break, snack and head back. This is a different area than the East and not hiked as often.

http://www.backpackingarkansas.com

Commercial contributors are: Ouachita Outdoor Outfitters, Ouachitamaps.com, Trailhankie.com, and Tim Ernst THANK YOU!
Not your typical camp ground host!
Big Tom T.

RussellPresley
Name: Russell Presley

Re: Anybody for some backpacking?

Post by RussellPresley » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:08 am

I wished it wasn't at the other end of the state or I would come to it!

ouachita hiker

Post by ouachita hiker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:03 am

Just wanted all to know that if you are teetering on the edge about coming to HSB this weekend don't worry about contacting me just come! This will be the biggest thing to come here since the early Home Town Throwdowns!
Should be between 40 to 50 attending and that doesn't include some cub scouts that will be here!
Big Tom T.

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:17 pm

The schedule of events is just what I would like to be a part of. Great information for canoe camping as well. Wish I could be there but I am helping with trail building on the Buffalo for three weeks.

Be advised, as of right now, there is a Burn Ban in effect. We are in desparate need of rain. http://www.arkfireinfo.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

ouachita hiker

Post by ouachita hiker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:04 pm

Yes I know all to well about the fire ban. BUT we have a fire place in the pavilion and I have gotten a ok to use it since that fire isn't exposed. We will be having a discussion at the end of the day on Sat. about trail building and trail maintenance, mainly encouraging more to get involved. By the way there are plans to build a trail down here between HSB and Jefferson Ridge.
Big Tom T.

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 am

temp.jpg
Click on picture to enlarge.
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

Social Media