U of A OCC Pool Sessions

Open Discussion

Regud
NW AR Chapter President
Name: Ryan Dugger

U of A OCC Pool Sessions

Post by Regud » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:54 pm

The U of A Outdoor Connection Center has several pool session over the next few weeks at the HPER pool.

Sept. 6, 8, 20, 22 & Oct. 4, 6
7:30-9:30 pm

Pool Sessions:
Free for Students
$5 other

They are also offering 2-day roll classes, if you want to learn the C to C.
Roll Class:
$25 Students
$35 other

http://urec.uark.edu/7541.htm
- Ryan

"Confess your Swims!"

ozarkin
Name: Chanel

Re: U of A OCC Pool Sessions

Post by ozarkin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks for the post Ryan! It was good to see you out there this week.

-Chanel-
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul." - John Muir

ktmusa45
Name: Jay

Post by ktmusa45 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:41 pm

A friend and I were gonna come from Tahlequah to the roll clinic but I guess since we arent students we cant attend the roll class but can attend the pool session. Is there usually several people there? some of which we might be able to beg some help from...

Shep
Name: Paul Shepherd

Post by Shep » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:02 pm

You can attend the roll session, it is just more expensive. $35 for the public at large. This includes 2x2 hour sessions where thye assume you have never been in a kayak before. During the first hour of the first night, you go over general boat parts, wet exiting, and land school for rolling. During the second hour, you get in the pool, demonstrate a wet exit, and then work on rolling with the instructors. The second night is all in-pool and rolling. The biggest challenge for you might be driving over from Tallequah two nights in a single week.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul Shepherd

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats (said the water rat solemnly)." - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

ktmusa45
Name: Jay

Post by ktmusa45 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:50 pm

Thanks Paul! hope to see everyone there!

terrirox
Name: Terri

Post by terrirox » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:04 am

So what exactly goes on at the pool sessions?? I had intended to just practice my roll at the pool sessions...or would I have to enroll for the $35 classes???

Also, I have a rec boat and would like to practice in a white water kayak...are there extra boats??

Peace

Shep

Post by Shep » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:42 am

The classes I have described above... the open pool sessions, which it looks like are going on at the same time this year, must be in the diving section right across the bulkhead. (Roll lessons are in the shallow area so that the instructors can stand in the water to assist.)

If you show up without a boat, there might be boats available, but they will be used by the class participants first, so you might be out of luck. If they have more boats than students, you will be able to use whatever is left over. If you are not taking part in the lesson, the fee is $5 per open-pool session for non-students. There are often other people there at the open-pool session who are glad to let people try out their kayaks (or canoes, if I ever manage to make it this semester!)

Does that answer your questions?

Thanks,
Shep
Paul Shepherd

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats (said the water rat solemnly)." - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

ARzach

Post by ARzach » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Paul's description is a bit misleading, in that the classes and the open sessions are mish-mashed. Important to realize they are seperate entities..

Class (with instructor) - $35+

Roll-practice Session (no instructor) - $5

Any time you need a boat Terri, just holler. I've got an Embudo sittin' in my garage that needs someone to paddle it (and hopefully fall in love with it and buy it on down the road, so it will no longer be hogging valuable garage space). Until sold though, it is the perfect loaner :)
Smile, summer run-off is coming!!!

Shep

Post by Shep » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Didn't mean to be misleading... Thanks for clarifying Zach! What he said is exactly correct.
Paul Shepherd

ARzach

Post by ARzach » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:58 pm

Shep wrote:Didn't mean to be misleading... Thanks for clarifying Zach! What he said is exactly correct.
Come on Shep, don't make me schedule a :box: match :NoNo:

Just kidding. I know you weren't trying to be misleading, and it was clear to me. I just thought for the uninitiated, that mentioning both events in close proximity was causing some confusion.

Now that it's cleared up, the next person to ask the difference gets icy-hot smeared all over their back-band, and thigh-pads! :flame:

:beer2:

--Z
Smile, summer run-off is coming!!!

Social Media