OT: Janet Napolitano Protest Monday, State House Convention

Open Discussion
flow
Name: Phil

Re: OT: Janet Napolitano Protest Monday, State House Convent

Post by flow » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:02 pm

I used to like purple snowcones! That is until I offered a bite of my purple snowcone to my girlfriend ( Janice) we were 9 and in love! She took my purple snowcone, bit off the bottom and sucked out all the juice, handed it back, all I got was the ice! Since then purple snowcones are just too painful!
I know this isn't about paddling but then neither is the rest of this thread!

GutIt
Name: Terry P.

Post by GutIt » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:13 pm

I‘m not so sure what jumping into a lake and swimming across it has to do with boating either. With the possible exception that a “kayak” was actually mentioned in the thread as well as a “lifejacket program”. I would never have known this if it hadn’t been posted here.

Nor did I see any relevance whatsoever to a boating forum watching that posted awesome biking video that was posted as “OT”. Which, if I may add, I thoroughly enjoyed! I would have never seen it otherwise.

The list goes on Ad Infinitum if you want to search this Forum for non-boating postings.

Is it okay to post “OT” up front and bring your non-boating thread? Or is a matter of politics agreeing with the majority and if you don’t, you are wrong and wrongly posted? I always enjoy the occasional “OT” posting as long as they are posted by a respected, or a “semi-regular” poster rather than an obvious first-timer/spammer. Regardless of whether or not I happen to agree. Seems if its okay from time to time, its okay. If not, then not. Lose the gray area that is open to interpretation and ridicule and reduce the “animosity” (still yet another thread).

I have to fly constantly to make my living and Jack has some real live points that certainly deserve our attention. Is it relevant here? No more or less so than the above-mentioned threads that have not caused so much controversy with the exception of the perceived political slant.

For the record, I am certainly okay with ad hominem attacks if I have one coming with this posting! There is certainly enough fodder for the canon! As long as you know me well enough to make it stick, then I’ll most likely admit to it!

Seems like this feeble old mind may need a word or two of explanation!
Keep Your Stick in the Water!
-Terry-

Fish

Post by Fish » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:42 pm

GutIt wrote:Is it okay to post “OT” up front and bring your non-boating thread?
Yes. But if your post is 100% political, expect to be made fun of - or worse have your entire thread (gasp!) moderated. :wht:
GutIt wrote:Or is a matter of politics agreeing with the majority and if you don’t, you are wrong and wrongly posted?
No. Don't care what your politics are, everyone should know and respect my grandma's old rule: you don't discuss religion or politics at the dinner table. I like talking politics, but this forum's like a big family dinner, minus the southern fried chicken and mashes potatoes and gravy...
GutIt wrote:I always enjoy the occasional “OT” posting as long as they are posted by a respected, or a “semi-regular” poster rather than an obvious first-timer/spammer. Regardless of whether or not I happen to agree. Seems if its okay from time to time, its okay. If not, then not. Lose the gray area that is open to interpretation and ridicule and reduce the “animosity” (still yet another thread).
Surely the area isn't all that gray? Everyone ought to have enough sense to know that politics and religion are inflammatory topics. If you want to post or debate that stuff, great! There are lots of other web forums devoted to that - go knock yourself out! Other than that, there are posted guidelines - very clear. But mainly it's my granny's old rules for livin' again: play nice; don't call names; if you hurt someone's feelings apologize; if you gotta live in that dumb glass house for goodness sake don't throw stones; etc.
GutIt wrote:I have to fly constantly to make my living and Jack has some real live points that certainly deserve our attention. Is it relevant here? No more or less so than the above-mentioned threads that have not caused so much controversy with the exception of the perceived political slant.
Sure he has some points. But this ain't political "slant." It's a political cliff. Political slant is when someone says, "hey I don't think the government should be spending my tax money on river gauges" or "hey, I think no one ought to ever cut down trees in the national forest" or "Fish looks a lot like if Vladimir Lennin and Frank Zappa had a love child." When your post is about a protest against a major current political figure and mentions half a dozen hot-button political issues in the first paragraph... that's a wee bit more than just a "slanted" post. It you're seeing it as merely slanted perhaps you're leaning way over to one side...
GutIt wrote:For the record, I am certainly okay with ad hominem attacks if I have one coming with this posting! There is certainly enough fodder for the canon! As long as you know me well enough to make it stick, then I’ll most likely admit to it!
OK, you asked for it: Jermdog is not very nice. But you seem to be GutIt. Let's me and you and Jack paddle some little plastic boats sometime, and then we'll get some beers and talk politics all you like, since we won't be sitting around a dinner table, virtual or otherwise. :beer:

- Fish

CapnTom
Name: Tom Schietzelt

Post by CapnTom » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:50 pm

I STILL like PURPLE SNOWCONES!!!
Did I mention...I LIKE PURPLE SNOWCONES!!!

flow

Post by flow » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:09 pm

Very well said Fish!

flow

Post by flow » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Purple Snowcones are the root of all that is wrong with the world!!

Wildwood
Name: Jan Johnson

Post by Wildwood » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:29 pm

I like R A I N B O W colored sno cones.
(That's the nearest I can get to tie-dye.) :grin:

Today is Bill Clinton's birthday. :clap: I miss Bill! Great economy, no wars, and a little something on the side . . . :yahoo:

Jan
Jan Johnson

"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave intending to arrive safely in an attractive, well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a paddle in your hands, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

flow

Post by flow » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:44 pm

Rainbow snowcones! Now your talkin!!!

GutIt

Post by GutIt » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:31 pm

Fish wrote:
GutIt wrote:Is it okay to post “OT” up front and bring your non-boating thread?
Yes. But if your post is 100% political, expect to be made fun of - or worse have your entire thread (gasp!) moderated. :wht:
Got it (well, except for the 100% political statements that are made on here about the all-important conservation/access issues that we, as boaters face. And, if I may, one of the main reasons I renewed my membership again just today. As it turns out, there are statements made consistently about politics and politicians here that don't have our agenda in mind. There are movements mounted here to attempt to influence. I have been one of us who never fail to make that attempt. We have a lot at stake, and I have never seen any of those threads (gasp) moderated.)
GutIt wrote:Or is a matter of politics agreeing with the majority and if you don’t, you are wrong and wrongly posted?

No. Don't care what your politics are, everyone should know and respect my grandma's old rule: you don't discuss religion or politics at the dinner table. I like talking politics, but this forum's like a big family dinner, minus the southern fried chicken and mashes potatoes and gravy...
Not to bring up the "other" taboo, but we always did Sunday Dinner, and if we were lucky our Preacher would come over for fried chicken, mashed taters, and all the trimmin's we could afford to have, which weren't many. We sat down and it was all about Family. I see this Board and the Boating Community as the best part of my extended Family.

GutIt wrote:I always enjoy the occasional “OT” posting as long as they are posted by a respected, or a “semi-regular” poster rather than an obvious first-timer/spammer. Regardless of whether or not I happen to agree. Seems if its okay from time to time, its okay. If not, then not. Lose the gray area that is open to interpretation and ridicule and reduce the “animosity” (still yet another thread).
Surely the area isn't all that gray? Everyone ought to have enough sense to know that politics and religion are inflammatory topics. If you want to post or debate that stuff, great! There are lots of other web forums devoted to that - go knock yourself out! Other than that, there are posted guidelines - very clear. But mainly it's my granny's old rules for livin' again: play nice; don't call names; if you hurt someone's feelings apologize; if you gotta live in that dumb glass house for goodness sake don't throw stones; etc.
Fish, your Granny is certainly a Sage and Rules to Live By. God Bless Her (sorry about the religion thang again). I wish more would follow Granny's Wisdom. And I apologize in advance if I hurt any feelings here (thank you, Granny).

You are, of course correct. There are posted guidelines and as I reviewed them, I saw that it was not only the OP that could be perceived as not following them. Have you reviewed them lately to confirm for yourself? And yes, it seems to be a Touch of Grey to me.
GutIt wrote:I have to fly constantly to make my living and Jack has some real live points that certainly deserve our attention. Is it relevant here? No more or less so than the above-mentioned threads that have not caused so much controversy with the exception of the perceived political slant.

Sure he has some points. But this ain't political "slant." It's a political cliff. Political slant is when someone says, "hey I don't think the government should be spending my tax money on river gauges" or "hey, I think no one ought to ever cut down trees in the national forest" or "Fish looks a lot like if Vladimir Lennin and Frank Zappa had a love child." When your post is about a protest against a major current political figure and mentions half a dozen hot-button political issues in the first paragraph... that's a wee bit more than just a "slanted" post. It you're seeing it as merely slanted perhaps you're leaning way over to one side...
See above response. Perhaps I am leaning one way or another, and perhaps I am not so much. Thank you for suggesting that I am falling off your "political cliff" on a public forum, without knowing me one way or another, and one in which you are a respected poster. I promise not to return the favor, sir. I don't have the pleasure of knowing you well enough to make that call. I am starting to see no difference here and am beginning to wonder exactly what it is that you are saying to me. And Vladimir Lennin and Frank Zappa? I'm impressed! Frank is one of my Personal Heroes!
GutIt wrote:For the record, I am certainly okay with ad hominem attacks if I have one coming with this posting! There is certainly enough fodder for the canon! As long as you know me well enough to make it stick, then I’ll most likely admit to it!

OK, you asked for it: Jermdog is not very nice. But you seem to be GutIt. Let's me and you and Jack paddle some little plastic boats sometime, and then we'll get some beers and talk politics all you like, since we won't be sitting around a dinner table, virtual or otherwise. :beer:
I don't care if Jermdog isn't so very nice! Let's see if when you, sir, Jack, and I get it going, we include Jermdog too! I have been properly trained and while I can do campside mashed taters and trimmin's, I'll fry up a couple of birds, hand plucked, cleaned, and cut in advance! We can heat it over the fire or do it one of my favorite ways! Cold!

After The Run.
-Terry-

Fish

Post by Fish » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:53 pm

And Vladimir Lennin and Frank Zappa? I'm impressed! Frank is one of my Personal Heroes!
Just for the record, I've only been told look like Zappa, not that I am like Zappa. And only if he's having a bad hair day. And a bad face day too.

Also jermdog and I neither one can probably make it for the Ozark river or beer for a while. We're both on diaper patrol these days. :D

- Fish

GutIt

Post by GutIt » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:08 pm

Fish, Jermdog?

That you two are on Diaper Duty only serves to renew my Faith in Humanity! The Future is on!

May you both seek Life's Greatest Treasures.

And may you find them in the Hearts of Those You Love Most.

Seems that you have!

Right On!
-Terry-

JackZ
Name: Jack Zwaan

Post by JackZ » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:15 am

I said OT, I don't expect all to agree. But I see BOTH parties of this country slipping into Statism and it is something that is near and dear to me and I want my paddling friends to be aware. I try and listen to the wise words of Thumper the Rabbit, "If you don't have anything nice to say, than its better to say nothing at all." However, feel free to disagree, I can take it, but I would appreciate a little respect, Fish. I just wish it would rain already :?
Last edited by JackZ on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

JackZ

Post by JackZ » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:17 am

All human interaction is politics, these issues are just a little bit more important than others, thats all.

JackZ

Post by JackZ » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:26 am

And i didnt even make the event, I just copied and pasted it. What is so controversial about Liberty though. Don't worry America, the Libertarians are coming.

ckuntz
Name: ckuntz

Post by ckuntz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:33 am

:eh: ....
Please God, let it rain.

Social Media