Need info on a canoe trip for this summer please

Open Discussion

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Need info on a canoe trip for this summer please

Post by kayakmamma » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:50 pm

Hello,
I am planning a canoe camping trip to North Texas or Colorado in July with my family. I would like some suggestions on rivers or campgrounds that offer canoe trips. I am coming from Phx. and my parents are driving down from Illinois, half way is Amarillo, and we would like to meet in the middle.
I am from Illinois and growing up, my parents and I would travel to Eminence Missouri to a campground every Summer. We would start with spending the night at a campground, the next morning the Campground would provide a canoe and transportation upstream. We would start on the Jack's Fork River on day 1, stopping along the way for a packed lunch, swimming, rock diving, etc.. and at the end of the day the river ran past the campground where we would stop and spend the night in our tents. The next morning we would start out again and at the end of day, the Jack's Fork river merges with the Current River. The campground again provided transportation back to the campground where we would relax for another night before heading home. I would love to find something similar for this summer.
We will have an 11 year old and a 4 year old with us so as much as I would like to try crazy extreme stuff, their safety comes first.
As for location, we were wanting to meet half way which would be Amarillo if by the southern route or Colorado Springs if by the Northern. Do you know anything about Co rivers? We don't have to stay in or around Amarillo, that is just the normal halfway point. If the weather is cooler and better river country elsewhere we can travel there.
Thanks again, I do appreciate your time.
Rick Emery
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

canoe

Re: Need info on a canoe trip for this summer please

Post by canoe » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:27 pm

Buffalo River in Ar. would best meet your needs, if there is water.

Highlander
Name: Steve

Post by Highlander » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:31 pm

Agree with canoe. Don't know much about the Colorado area for family type floats but the Buffalo in AR is great as long as you avoid the weekends. Lot of outfitters and places to stay. Am a frequent floater of the Jacks Fork/ Current but for mileage and convenience for both sides of the family the Buffalo is the place to go.

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:09 pm

This is half way and you won't find a better bunch of people.
http://www.ozarksociety.net/2011__colorado.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If that does not work then I would leave the paddlng gear at home and head for the Amarillo area and camp at Palo Duro State Park. Make sure you see the outdoor drama "Texas" http://www.palodurocanyon.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and spend a day at the panhandle plains Museum http://www.panhandleplains.org/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Post by kayakmamma » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:22 pm

Awesome responses, thanks guys. :D
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

Social Media