Big Freakin' Exciting News in Big D

Open Discussion
Big Daddy D

Big Freakin' Exciting News in Big D

Post by Big Daddy D » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:30 pm

As many of you know, The Dallas Standing Wave has been under construction for several months. Several of us have been working with the city and got to test paddle the waves. It's not officially open yet, but will open sometime in March once they finish the landscaping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgM1qNYMrRs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heck yeh! Dallas is now on the whitewater map. :clap:

BDD

FarPastGone
Name: Matt

Re: Big Freakin' Exciting News in Big D

Post by FarPastGone » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:35 pm

FING SWEET!

- Matt

A Savage spanke

Post by A Savage spanke » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:38 pm

That top wave looks sick, hope I get to play on it sometime
It could be worse, it could stop raining
call to paddle 479.518.0017

ARzach

Post by ARzach » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:45 pm

FarPastGone wrote:FING SWEET!

- Matt
What is a Fing?
Smile, summer run-off is coming!!!

FarPastGone
Name: Matt

Post by FarPastGone » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:14 pm

I could be wrong, but I believe FING is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era.

- Matt

ARzach

Post by ARzach » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:35 pm

FarPastGone wrote:I could be wrong, but I believe FING is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era.

- Matt
So the new wave is going to be large enough to facilitate playing in one of those? Awesome!
Smile, summer run-off is coming!!!

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Congrats to all involved.

Looks like a fine play spot
and
goes to show that dreams can come true!

Hats off to Dallas !!!!
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Big Daddy D

Post by Big Daddy D » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:17 pm

I received a private message with several questions, so I'll answer with what I know, but there is still a lot to learn about the features at different water levels.

The river will have water year round. The base flow is between 400 - 450 cfs. The good news is that it has a water shed over 6000 square miles. I've been watching the gauges and it doesn't take much rain to bring it up. In fact. we got between a quarter and half inch the other day and it hit 1200 cfs.

You can check the correlation to rainfall and gauge level over the past 30 days here:

http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/ ... o=08057000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will be a public park. There will be parking, but no restrooms since it's built in a flood plane. No fees that I know of. It is located about 3 minutes south and west of downtown Dallas.

My impressions so far (based on only 3 visits). Matt and Phil can chime in here as well.

The top wave is very friendly. Nice foam pile, good eddy service and it doesn't trash you. At 650 cfs it's fun and you can get cartwheels. At 1100 cfs, it's awesome, deep and should be good for loops, etc. At 490, the top wave was shallow, but still excellent for surfing and spinning. Better playboaters than I may be able to get wheels or loops off the back of the pile. I think between 1100 and 2000 it will be incredible. I know at 6000 it's washed out. Have no idea what it's like other levels. We'll find out with time.

The lower wave. I think this feature only gets better as it gets bigger. In the video, Matt is surfing it at 1050 cfs. At 650, it's harder to stay on. Only got short rides. I bet at 1500 to 2000 it turns into a really nice wave. I've talked with the engineers about it and they are still talking about tweaking it. They may add some boulders below it to help pool up the water behind it. But that is just speculation right now. At 490, it doesn't offer much.

The eddy lines at the top wave are not bad at all. Below the second wave, they are quite squirrelly, with one whirlpool that will stern squirt you. Not anything bad, it just takes some work to get across them.

What else?

They are building a boat launch ramp, similar to what Malvern has. I think they may do one above for put in and one below for take out. (Not 100% sure on that)

I don't think there will be camping at the park. Not sure where the nearest camping would be. It's in the middle of an urban area. (But Renee's sister lives close by :wink: ) Sorry, Renee.

They are building a trail system that will connect to it. The trail opens in July and should allow you to bike as well.

Not sure about teaching SWR classes there. I think that subject can be broached down the road.

I'd like to get a web cam install on the bridge above the park. If anyone can send me info on what's best and how to do that, it would be much appreciated. It would be nice to be able to check it at different levels from your laptop.

Lastly, the city is very friendly to paddlers. They want this to be a huge success. A lot of people who don't paddle have stuck their necks out on this. So please help support us when you're in town. I think they are planning a ribbon-cutting, grand opening sometime in March. I will send an invite, but it would be great to have lots of paddler show up.

BDD

Roger

Post by Roger » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:49 pm

Good news for you guys, for sure! What are you seeing in the way of water quality?

Also, with that in play and Dierks and Rockport, somebody might want look at the logistics of putting on a series of events with an overall winner!

Just ideas! And if Oklahoma ever got it right, you got the tri-state series!
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

gannon311
Name: jeff gannon

Post by gannon311 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:47 pm

That top wave freakin sweet!!!!!!! Looks like in march ill be going to the big D and i do mean Dallas!!!!!
http://community.webshots.com/user/gannon311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Flipit

Post by Flipit » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:30 pm

Water quality doesn't seem bad. Minimal trash floating around. I would bring your noseplugs though. This is 'Big City Paddling'.

Camping: Closest I can think of is Cedar Hill State Park at Joe Pool Lake or Corps of Engineers at Grapevine Lake- neither of which are really close.

JTarver

Post by JTarver » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:42 pm

That's awesome!..we watched the video tonight after the pool session. I will definately be planning some weekend trips to the big D too. What better way to spend a weekend than paddling and sightseeing around the city. I will camp in my truck if need be.
Please keep us posted of the March opening, and first chance I get I will come down to show my support for the project. Great job guys!
Joe
And all this life we've glorified
Robbin' from the blind
It's not easy, you see
Don't think i don't know sympathy
My victims in my shadow
Starin' back at me

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:09 pm

Big Daddy D or any of the Dallas play park insiders:

Would one of you folks please email or PM me directions to or basic location info of the white water site? The name and contact info for the design engineers would be good to have as well.

One of the Tulsa Wave supporters and decision makers is going to be in Dallas tuesday and would like to see the park.

Much appreciated.

dave
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Big Daddy D

Post by Big Daddy D » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:34 pm

okieboater wrote:Big Daddy D or any of the Dallas play park insiders:

Would one of you folks please email or PM me directions to or basic location info of the white water site? The name and contact info for the design engineers would be good to have as well.

One of the Tulsa Wave supporters and decision makers is going to be in Dallas tuesday and would like to see the park.

Much appreciated.

dave
Done. Check your PM

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:40 pm

This is HUGE news; I'm really happy for you guys and hope I can come check it out in person sometime!

Edit: Is the location N32.7532 W96.7914, which is under an old abandoned railroad and a newer Dart line, 0.3 miles downstream and SE of North Corinth Street?
Last edited by Cowper on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Social Media