Fun on the Spring River - another Rec School Come and Gone

Open Discussion

Liz Caldwell

Fun on the Spring River - another Rec School Come and Gone

Post by Liz Caldwell » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:04 am

Rec School is over for another year, and I wanted to thank all those who made it possible. We had 32 students, some new to paddling, some not so new, but everyone learned a lot and made new paddling friends. Mammoth Spring State Park's Adam Davis and Dave Jackson welcomed us to their lake, where a couple of classes held instruction on Saturday. Thank you Adam and Dave!

We had a medivac helicopter pay a visit to Riverside campground when a young man NOT in our school let go of a rope swing and landed on a stump just as several classes rounded the bend to get out at Riverside on Saturday. Jim Krueger pulled him and a buddy who was trying to rescue him out of the water with his kayak. Ann Davis, who was in Jim's class, called 911. He ended up with a bruised spine, broken leg and concussion.

As always, the volunteers (on their own time and gas money) make the school. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! A special shout out to our amazing "assistant To the director" Michael Strobel who helped with a lot of the preparation.

Canoe Instructors and Staff:
Al Donaldson (who drove 600 miles from Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
Painter Bob
Patti Van Camp
Marc Van Camp
Margaret "Stan" Barteldt
Dave Hochstedler

Kayak Instructors and Staff:
David Loving
Michael Strobel
Grant Strobel
Larry Crane
Mike Byrum
Heather Huckeba
Louis Covington
Pat Crane
Mike Stanley
Victor Lawrence
Clif Andrus
Jim Krueger
Marlo Krueger
Gary Rowland

Shuttle, registration, potluck, etc:
Beth Forbes
Minna Ulmer
Karla Rowland
Dave McClanahan
Kristin Parsons
Josh Felton
Last edited by Liz Caldwell on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liz

Clif

Re: Fun on the Spring River - another Rec School Come and Gone

Post by Clif » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:27 am

Was it Grant Strobel that I had the pleasure of chasing not one but 2 boats and paddles down out of Saddler's on Sunday? Thank you for that sir. Boat wraslin' is hard on an old man.
You sure this is on the right channel?

Jaytee
Name: Julie

Post by Jaytee » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:00 pm

I had posted this in another thread below but it merits repeating here!

I can't say enough about how great Rec School was this year. The shuttles, the instruction, the people, the food. I withhold compliments only for the temperatures.

I know this is a massive undertaking. And having taken the canoe class this year I want to give a special shout out to the absolute first class talents of that team. Seriously. I learned a TON and instructors for that class traveled a long way (Springdale, Jasper, Little Rock, and Iowa!) and gave up their weekends to help those of us who under pressure can spaz the difference between a pry and a draw. Thanks to all of them.

I'd hope the "canoe" side of rec school can continue to grow ... handling a canoe like Al, Stan, Mark, Patty, and Painterbob should not be a lost art.

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:13 am

Now that Marlo and I are home and have had a day to rest and square-away equipment, it's time I too add our THANKS to Liz for organizing another great Rec. School, all our fellow instructor&staff friends, and all of the students who attended. What a nice weekend, many thanks to you all!

As Liz mentioned, there was an unfortunate injury incident as we were finishing up the river portion of training on Saturday afternoon. A local young man named Coby Poe, age 21, fell out of a tree about 10 feet down onto a partially submerged log, sustaining multiple injuries and in great pain.
This incident unfolded as My kayak class, followed by Al Donaldson's canoe class were finishing running the last rapid of the day.
Without going into more detail, I would like to credit the unknown older man who had been swimming with Coby for his quick action to keep Coby from drowning, he put Coby in a swimmer rescue position and held to the kayak with the other arm. I'd like to credit Ann Davis for quick action to get the medical authorities on the way and then to provide first-aid until the EMTs arrived, and Marlo who assisted Ann to the extent she could.
I'd like to thank Painter Bob who quickly assumed my class duties when I
turned away. Credit to the students and staff of both classes who got taken-out quickly and removed their boats from the scene so all would be clear for the EMTs when they arrived. Thanks to all of you!
The next day, I had the chance to visit with Coby's mother and learned the extent of his injuries, and that he had been discharged from the hospital, and was doing much better. She was most grateful to all concerned.

Best Regards
Jim

SteveGabbard
Name: Steve Gabbard

Post by SteveGabbard » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:50 pm

Jim,

I may have to start hanging with you. A foot entrapment last year and now this.

Are you trying to set a record or something?

Good job!

Social Media