Colorado Vacation

Open Discussion
Fish

Re: Colorado Vacation

Post by Fish » Wed May 12, 2010 1:28 pm

Team Stupid may be represented out there 4th of July too. Location undetermined.

Gordon Kumpuris
ACC Communications

Post by Gordon Kumpuris » Wed May 12, 2010 2:23 pm

Thanks again guys for all the comments. Gonna pitch it to my girls this afternoon and see if they bite. Looking at getting out there the week before the July 4th weekend and being there through the 4th. Harlen, Fish, I'd love to meet up and perhaps paddle with you guys. would likely need to secure a raft or at least a spot on a raft for my 12 year old.
Skoboten!

Fish

Post by Fish » Wed May 12, 2010 3:31 pm

Team S member Zach W. has connections in the rafting industry on the Arkansas R. If you're looking to rent a raft there, you should get in touch with him (ARZach on the board). He may be able to hook you up.

I'm not sure we'll be in the upper Ark region then. May stay in the front range, possibly the Poudre. Camping up along the Poudre is legendary. Those are the best USFS campsites out there in my opinion. For the weekend of the 4th, you'll definitely need to reserve sites anywhere you go.

My favorite places are mostly all primitive with no facilities. Clear Cr. (Ark) is one of those. I think the site I love so much on the upper Roaring Fork has a bathroom - no shower though. It's amazing, though you're camped a long way from the Ark R. if you go there. Still, it's almost worth the trouble!

Good luck, and let me know if you're interested in the Poudre. I think that's probably where we'll be heading.

- Fish

Cathy

Post by Cathy » Wed May 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Sorry to get a little off subject, but which place has the best park and play...Salida or BV? Ya know, like Hell Hole or better. We're gonna stop by there for a day on our way out to WA.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Wed May 12, 2010 8:14 pm

Neither BV or Salida is what I expected. Think of Rockport type play spot but on a creek maybe 20 feet across.

last year I went down to the new BV WW park built by the new subdivision on main street just maybe a quarter mile down stream from the BV play spot. This one looked like it could be the real deal.

I understand they have made a lot of progress on it and it may well be open this late may or june.

I hope you guys can check it out. And, give us a update.

Like I mentioned before, hit up the cafe in the subdivision for lunch as it has micro brews and good food.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Flapjack
River Valley Chapter President

Post by Flapjack » Wed May 12, 2010 8:41 pm

Gordo, being teenager they will want showers daily, 2 places come to mine alittle more expensive than most. My personal choice is chalk creek camp ground in Nathrop very nice with lots of shade, better hurry though camp spot go fast around the 4th. Next is the KOA east outside Johnson Village ok spots lots of rocks for climbing and they have stables for horse back riding. There are several others up and down hwy 285 in Ar. valley. Have fun its a great place to go. Flapjack
Livestrong

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed May 12, 2010 8:55 pm

I think the elephant rock area is now off limits. Ruby Mountain is a good campground on the river, but I suggest reserving something for FIBArk. You can find primitive camping on BLM land, but can be a little rustic for kids.

briansauer
Name: Brian Sauer

Post by briansauer » Sat May 15, 2010 11:27 am

I recommend stopping by the Royal Gorge and rafting or looking off the bridge or doing the "Skycoaster" thrill ride where you swing off the edge of the gorge (I did it and loved it!).
In Salida, stay at http://www.simplelodge.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (great hostel with all you can eat waffles in the morning - reserve the single bedroom if you don't want to stay in bunk beds. Brown's canyon is a riot! I did it in a dynamic duo tandem whitewater kayak with Rocky Mountain Outdoor Center. I had a guide in the back that knew the river and we didn't flip once! Kayaking or rafting is all great fun there. They rent lots of duckies for those who don't have a good roll. FIBArk goes on in late June in Salida.
Moab, UT isn't too far from there and they have tons of cool stuff to do - check it all out on the web.
Good Luck

http://www.fibark.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://simplelodge.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If there is magic in this world, it contained in water.

DCrowley
Name: Daniel

Post by DCrowley » Wed May 19, 2010 7:28 am

Hey guys,
I posted on here a few months ago.
I'm a Brit heading over to Fayetteville early June for work/competition. (Solarsplash, just incase any of you are involved!) and looking to do some boating afterwards.
Colorado has been recommended, is anyone heading up any time between the 14th and 25th of June, and be happy for me to tag along?
I'm a competent G4 paddler, but don't know how the grading over here will compare with over there.

Cheers,

Social Media