Search and Rescue on Devil's Fork

Open Discussion
lbaker
Name: Leigh Baker

Re: Search and Rescue on Devil's Fork

Post by lbaker » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:15 am

WOW is right!
Kudos are certainly in order for all the SAR folks that helped turn this into a positive outcome.
I have to say it has had an impact on me. For years, I have hiked and paddled solo, sometimes because of personal/spiritual needs, and other times just because I didn't have anyone to accompany me (one of the reasons I have joined ACC and other groups.) I am always well prepared and aware, plan the trip below my ability level and have, fortunately, never had an "incident." However, this incident leaves me reconsidering my decisions to solo on many levels, none the least of which is that I'm close to 55,and knowing that at some point, call it what you will, luck/good karma, runs out. I had planned a solo photo hiking trip for next weekend up to the upper Buffalo, and while planning to stay on established trails,I will reconsider my options in light of this post.
I wish Ed a quick recovery,
Leigh
Leigh Baker

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit."
Ed Abbey

Stan

Post by Stan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:52 am

I invested in a PLB last year. It is an ACR MicroOFix 406. I decided that it was the best available PLB for me. Since my husband Gordon's death, I do lots of solo hiking and paddling. The SPOT system is not appropriate for me because there is no one at home to get a message that I need help. I do keep my family in Wisconsin informed about "big" trips but I take lots of short trips and telling them about each one is just not reasonable.

My PLB distress signal includes my GPS coordinates. Not all PLBs do that. Some have the capability of interfacing with a GPS to get & send the coordinates. BUT I figure that if I have activated my PLB, then something really bad has happened and I may not have the wherewithal to setup that interface.

My PLB sends out a two signals. Satellites pick up the 406 MHz transmission with GPS coordinates. SAR knows of my position to within 110 yards. A second 121.5 MHz signal can be used to home in on my exact location.

My PLB is registered with the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). (No charge.) The PLB cost me $650 but I do not have any annual or monthly fee. The battery life in the PLB is 5 years. The battery also must be replaced if the PLB is activated. Then the PLB must be returned to the manufacturer for a battery change. I figure that after 5 years, new & improved PLBs may be available & I might invest in one of those.

My PLB weighs 10 oz and is waterproof to 16 feet. It fits in my baggy hiking pants pockets & in my paddling jacket. I keep it attached to my person and very accessible.

Owning the PLB has not really changed what I do or where I go. But having it along, gives me some peace of mind that if I do get into trouble, there is a good possibility that I can get help.

"Stan" (AKA Margaret Bartelt)

Renee H

Post by Renee H » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:58 am

http://www.findmespot.com/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just curious because I go on some hiking trips by myself (not terribly long, but some more remote), but if you had your cell phone and GPS, could you send out a text with the coordinates? I always let Scott (or if he is out of town, a friend) know where I'm going even if it is just Pinnacle Mtn with an estimated time that I should be done. I guess with a cell phone, GPS and SPOT personal tracker, you would probably be in a better position to get help if something went wrong. I've never worried to much about injuring myself as I do about getting attacked by something or getting lost, but this incident makes me think a little more about the "what ifs?"

Stan

Post by Stan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:38 am

I am often in places where cell phones just don't work. I usually take my cell along because if I do have cell phone reception then calling for help is much more efficient. BUT if I have a nasty fall or injury or if I am capsized on some big body of water (e.g. Lake Superior), I may not be able to use my cell & GPS. Hopefully I will be able to press the "distress" button on my PLB.

As for getting lost. I try my absolute best not to let that happen!!! I carry a compass, paper map & GPS. When I was poking around in the Big Woods alone last winter and was way back in the middle of nowhere, I had a backup compass, map & GPS.

I consider my PLB to be insurance which I hope never to use.

Clif

Post by Clif » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:55 am

Texts can get out with only a small window of service. Most places in AR your plan, Renee, would prolly work..... that is what I have been told. Not an expert by any stretch. I have sent texts out from deep in the nat forest in Richland and Illy Bayou watersheds while showing no signal.

So where ya roam has lots to do with it. And was Ed in any condition to be sending a text?
You sure this is on the right channel?

panicman

Post by panicman » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:26 pm

Wow! Good to hear all is going to be well. :clap:

Sounds like that little device saved his life.

Edcooley
Name: Ed Cooley

Post by Edcooley » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:34 pm

I can't add much to this discussion as things are mostly accurate.

What I would like to add is my undying gratitude for all the brave men
women who would simply not give up on me. You think you are
carefull but unexpected will stll happen.

I was standing on the bank above the falls enjoying the view and
contemplating how to shoot such a wonderful location when the
ground under me gave way.

I tumbled backwards 25 feet or so and landed on my back partially
in the water. This happened at 2pm and i did blackout. A cut on
my head sent blood over both eyes. Since i couldn't read i pressed
all the help buttons.

The rescue crew arrived at 9pm and it took 12 grueling hours for my rescue crew to haul me out to where a helicopter airlifted me to fayetteville regional medical.

My son in law has written a post on his blog with more details.

http://www.traviswilliams.net/twin-fall ... e-details/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I cannot thank my rescuers enough, you can't imagine the horror
of watching nightfall come when you know you won't survive. That
emotion was totally eclipsed by the friendly voices of the forestry service
rescue party.
experience was totally eclipsed by that first flashlight shining through
my raincoat hood and hearing the friendly voices of the forest

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:41 pm

Ed,
Thanks for sharing your experience with us first hand - we're all trying to learn from it, and I predict a mini-spike in the sale of Spot and other rescue beacon devices in Arkansas.

Given the significance of your injuries, maybe "speedy" recovery is too much to ask for, so instead I'll wish you a FULL recovery!
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

tlwilliams479
Name: Travis W

Post by tlwilliams479 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:57 pm

Ed has surgery yesterday to repair his pelvic fracture. He was in a great deal of pain last night because they had to put his leg in traction to align his pelvis. The nurses gave him a tranquilizer that allowed him to get some rest overnight.

He is doing very well today and can raise the head of his bed so that he is in more of a seated position. The doctors will operate on his ankle tomorrow sometime. Ed is very grateful for everyone's thoughts and prayers.

He really enjoys the cards and message that he is receiving. You can send him a message at ed@traviswilliams.net. If you would like to send a card, please mail to the address below.

Ed Cooley
c/o Travis Williams
PO Box 2136
Rogers, AR 72757

I will be going over Friday evening and will be taking any cards that he receives in the mail before then. E-mails are forwarded to him as soon as they are received.

Our entire family thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers. Please continue to pray for Ed as he is still in the early stages of recovery.

Karla
Name: Karla R.

Post by Karla » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:52 pm

Wish him well for me. Just cannot imagine what he did go through and the surgery also. Keeping in our thoughts and prayers.

Karla

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Post by RomanLA » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:47 pm

This was the top story in the Spot News email today.

GaryPaladino

Post by GaryPaladino » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:28 pm

Wow, what a story.

I have a feeling we might be watching a re enactment on one of those survival shows on Discovery channel next year!

Social Media