Raft repair question

Open Discussion

boba
ACC Conservation

Raft repair question

Post by boba » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:21 am

My old raft (~20yrs) has seen too many shoals/gravel bars. The tubes are still air tight, but the bottom is rubbed off exposing some kind of cord material. I need a serious patch. I am thinking something like an old fashioned innertube patch except about a foot across. Anybody with experience to help me out here?
Bob Allen, ACC member since ~1984

http://ozarker.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

panicman

Re: Raft repair question

Post by panicman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:27 am

What kind of raft? I'm new to the rubber world myself but check mountainbuzz.com and do a search. A lot of good info there. I have read some on what they call gacoflex I think that sounds like a rubberized paint type stuff that you paint the bottom with.

Roger

Post by Roger » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:31 am

Bob, go to here and ask: Get alot of good feedback. Be sure to specify the raft brand:

http://www.boatertalk.com/forum/RaftZone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Free registration. Or tell me the brand and I'll post for you.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

A Savage spanke

Post by A Savage spanke » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:49 am

Tufflex. i'm not sure where to get it, but you apply it yourself. Careful though, it makes bottom of the boat super sticky. No so much fun on the ocoee with a seven load of fatties!
It could be worse, it could stop raining
call to paddle 479.518.0017

mgood

Post by mgood » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:50 am

Don't do the innertube patch. It's a different type of material and won't hold if you hit a rock. Its best to get the boat fixed properly, so you won't have to drop another 2 grand for a new boat.

robkanraft

Post by robkanraft » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:41 pm

Good advice and proper materials are available from AAA Inflatables in Denver. Or, if you are inclined, you could ship it to them for reconditioning. rob
robkanraft(means rob-kansas-rafter)
robert poole

Crane

Post by Crane » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:08 pm

Bob, depending on the make of the boat, you should be able to buy repair cloth from any of the major outfitters on line... NRS, Cascade, Star, etc. Some even sell chafe strips, which is worth considering, where you'd basically add a patch down the length of both tubes... Call your manufacturer & they should be happy to discuss repair questions/options with you. Good luck!
Crane

mgood

Post by mgood » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:08 am

Also, just food for thought- I know a former raft guide on the Ocoee for 17+ years who Rino-lined the bottom of his boat because he was tired of having to constantly repair it. The good news is that he won't have to for a LOOOOONG time, the bad is that it is kind of ruff on the skin while carrying. If you're having problems with stuff wearing thin, I'd definitely consider this.

boba
ACC Conservation

Post by boba » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:47 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was hoping for a cheap and quick fix. I see now that I need to go back to a dealer and get proper patching material. BTW, the raft is an old self-bailing 14 foot NRS (Hyside?). Its the one you rowed with me several years back, Larry. I have pictures of you at the oars on Piney one day.
Bob Allen, ACC member since ~1984

http://ozarker.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crane

Post by Crane » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:22 pm

Hypalon is not that tough to put a patch on... even Roger has managed it!! I'd not skimp, since if it's patched right it'll give you tears more good service!! Good luck! Crane
Crane

Social Media