Question for Cossatot experts

Open Discussion

Gordon Kumpuris
ACC Communications

Question for Cossatot experts

Post by Gordon Kumpuris » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:29 am

A "local" woman who was fishing at the Cossatot hwy 278 takeout yesterday was overheard referring to what we assumed was the Falls area upstream as the "sheep den". As in "ya'll come down from the Sheep Den?" Does anyone have any idea if this is indeed a local term for The Cossatot Falls area? And if yes why?
Skoboten!

rickyrod
Name: rickyrod

Re: Question for Cossatot experts

Post by rickyrod » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:41 am

I think , NOT sure but kinda sure Ramsey told me that his dad said that when they were boys the only way to get to the(falls)was by dirtbike , to a place called shepsden.from the Wicks side. I assume that the riverright side past the falls is the spot that the locals played and jumped off the bluffs, according to them.I think it has somthing to do with the large bluffrock they used to jump from. I will ask next time I talk to him. He called friday to tell me his Mom keeps rubbing it in his face ,that the tots up. and all he had was a couple small lakes to paddle in Illinois. :( (poor RAMJAM)
Last edited by rickyrod on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:47 am

I started boating the Tot in mid '70's.

Heard the falls area referred to as Sheeps Den, do not remember the entire story as to why.

Back in those days, the roads were pretty much 4 wheel drive and the camps at the Falls area would sometimes get pretty loud.

Not that many boaters in those days but the Falls was a pretty busy hang out for locals.

Jim Simmons might have the entire story as he was boating the Tot before I was.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Gordon Kumpuris
ACC Communications

Post by Gordon Kumpuris » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:50 am

I heard from a "reliable source" this morning that the Sheeps Den is the first big bend in the river below the falls accessible or once accessible via forest road.
Skoboten!

Jeremy M

Post by Jeremy M » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:56 am

It might refer to the way the local tribes hunted sheep? Possibly herding them off the cliffs...I mean if I was a Native American and had that at my disposal, I sure as heck wouldn't waste an arrowhead that took a long time to make. This also might explain the Skull Crusher? If explorers saw the natives doing this...could be why they named it Cossatot or whoever named the river...

?? I don't know, I'm just brain storming....
"For the last word in procrastination, go travel a river reluctant to lose his freedom to the sea."
-Aldo Leopold

rickyrod

Post by rickyrod » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:36 am

also remember Bob talking about deercamp there also , can't remember the story but it had to do with an old deercamp onthe river that loc's used before service roads where built. Goattrails and amimal trails only,but the name (sheeps den) had somthing to do with a cave or a geological feature at that place and somthing about domesticated sheep.Not sure there where wild sheep in the indian days around here but I could (and ussualy am)wrong.

mgood

Post by mgood » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:22 pm

Deer camp rapid is below the falls- a class III depending on the day. The camp is still there if I'm not mistaken...

As for the Sheeps den- if you look on the signs put up within the last decade or so, you will see directions that point to the Falls Campground- I always assumed that's what they called the campgrounds.

Roger

Post by Roger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:03 am

Sign at the short road into the Falls says Sheep's Den is in that direction. It is located just down of the Falls and on river right. Think the story is that is was used as a pen for sheep by a local back in the day.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

rickyrod

Post by rickyrod » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:19 pm

Thats more like the story I heard!
Roger wrote:Sign at the short road into the Falls says Sheep's Den is in that direction. It is located just down of the Falls and on river right. Think the story is that is was used as a pen for sheep by a local back in the day.

Social Media