Want to add longer crossbars to my Matrix

Open Discussion

lbaker
Name: Leigh Baker

Want to add longer crossbars to my Matrix

Post by lbaker » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:41 pm

Is there any reason (other than hitting my head) that I can't put 66" crossbars on my Toyota Matrix. I called Yakima and they say it's fine as long as I don't go over the 125 lb. mark. With two canoes, or my canoe and yak, I would still be just under 100, or at the most right at it.
Leigh
Leigh Baker

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit."
Ed Abbey

Tmuse

Re: Want to add longer crossbars to my Matrix

Post by Tmuse » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:07 pm

Do not go to long or you'll rip the rack off if you hit a tree in a tight spot. :hammer:

mhoward

Post by mhoward » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:16 pm

You could always build some extenders that you can slide out of your bars when needed.

Helped a friend put some on his little Kia years ago. Got pipes and end caps from HomeDepot of proper length Put the new pipes in the bars and drilled holes through both. Used some large clip pins to hold the bars. Now he has 72 inch bars when needed and 48 when not.

The one thing we should have done was dip the pipes in Plasti Dip to coat them with plastic so they would not rust.

Michael
If you live in Memphis, you better have a good vehicle and lots of gas money!

iYak

Post by iYak » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:33 am

You and many of your passengers will painfully regret the long bars (not to mention people walking through dark parking lots and banging into them). If you can work it out, I would make some extensions.

Recommended rack weight may be a little conservative:

Zach

Post by Zach » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:49 am

mhoward wrote:
The one thing we should have done was dip the pipes in Plasti Dip to coat them with plastic so they would not rust.

Just get the galvanized pipes.
I used the galvanized pipes when I made some extensions and haven't had any trouble with rusting.

Pad1dle

Post by Pad1dle » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:05 pm

My friend Sandy uses Yakima Hullraisers mounted on the ends of the 48" bars to transport her rec kayak at about a 45 degree slant. She still has room for her canoe or another kayak hauled flat on the remaining bars. Here is a link to Yakima. Jerry
http://www.yakima.com/racks/kayak-rack/ ... aiser.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You asked about wet suits for protection and Winter wear. I wore my 3mil Body Glove Farmer John wet suit for years for warmth and protection from rocks. It fit well and worked well. Wet suits are a little hard to find a fit that does not pinch behind the knees or fit properly! I now wear NRS Rodeo Pants. They are more user friendly, but are made with thinner neo. They are not as good as the 3mil for rock bump protection .
I live in Shreveport. I have a ladies large farmer john and a ladies medium full wet suit you are welcome to try on. My 2cents, Jerry Martin

Bob Stout

Post by Bob Stout » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:13 pm

Check out SPRING CREEK CANOE ACCESSORIES, http://www.canoegear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- I have a set on my NISSAN pick-up, which will be at Rendezvous. They're very strong and expand an additional 20" on both sides of the vehicle. The extenders are adjustable and can be removed, or only add a couple of inches to either side when closed.
We do not inherit the EARTH from our Ancestors, we BORROW it from our Children -- Native American Proverb

Bob Stout

Post by Bob Stout » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:50 pm

This is the same company where I purchased my rack, they've changed the design a little, but it still extends the same as mine. The extending rack is a bit hard to fine, but the suction cup mount is the same as my "over-the-cab" rack.
We do not inherit the EARTH from our Ancestors, we BORROW it from our Children -- Native American Proverb

Social Media