Ot-Devils Den

Open Discussion

hdh
Name: Harlan

Ot-Devils Den

Post by hdh » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:20 pm

A friend of mine at work (smith barney) is going to devils den all next week with her family .She was wondering if there are any sites or activites ect. They should Not miss .... Thanks for any help.
Harlan Dickson Hughes.....If you fly with the buzzards at night, you got to soar with the eagles in the morning!!!!!!

Max Carruth

Re: Ot-Devils Den

Post by Max Carruth » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:31 pm

Some great mountainbiking trails. Their not on the easy side though (some good hillclimbs). I also remember some caves that me and some buddies messed around in, they're on the hiking trail that leaves the visitors center. Easy hike and a cool place to hang out if its a hot day. Other people have probably spent more time there than I have though.
Max

Jim E
Name: Jim Enns

Post by Jim E » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:33 pm

Took the family there for Spring break. Plenty of hiking trails, mountain bike trails and amateur caving. They can check with the park office for daily activities, guided hikes and such. Several geo-caches in the area if they are into that.
I think it would be best for them to call ahead and reserve a site if they can. I'd figure that it gets really crowded during the Summer.
Just living the liquid lifestyle!!!

Jim Enns <*)))))))))><

Zach

Post by Zach » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:44 pm

There is the discovery trail that leaves from the visitor center. It goes by Devil's Den Cave and Ice Box cave as well as a nice waterfall. It's a short hike. Bring several flashlights if you want to enter the Caves. Devil's Den is lots of fun. Just follow it back till you can't or don't want to go any farther. Ice Box is more open and tougher to get around in.

There is also Yellow Rock Trail. You can get to it from near Campground A or from the top if you don't want to hike up. Great views of the valley. Short, but steep if coming from the bottom.

Butterfield trail is nice, but long.

They have regularly scheduled guided tours of the discovery trail that leave from the visitor center.

Campsite A is nice especially if you get a site near the river, but it can be a little loud (though the ranger keep it relatively quite at night). From campground A there is also a nice set of walk-in campsites just across the river if they want some isolation one night.

rickyrod
Name: rickyrod

Post by rickyrod » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:45 pm

One of the greats around here , but you must call in advance for sites especialy this time of the year due to the warm weather the caves are at there best for exploring. they have a store, large park , horse riding,and lake acctiviteis they will leave with many pic.s and memories., my kids love it.even the exwife liked it and she does not do the outdoors thang well.the kid will learn tons. a must see. and the view from yellow rock they will not want to miss for sure it overlooks the greater part of the valley and then some.

Steve S
ACC Secretary

Post by Steve S » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:52 pm

During the summer the restaurant and swimming pool are open, and there are paddle boats on the lake.

If you take mountain bikes, the Fossil Flats trail can be as easy or as difficult as you want to make it. If you want a relatively easy ride don't climb Racer's Hill and don't run the Gravity Cavity.
Steve Shepherd

"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." - Jim Whittaker, first American to summit Mt. Everest.

chris martin

Post by chris martin » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:36 pm

We stay there once
or twice a year. Summer has the pool, and lake activities,and the caves are nice. Great mountain biking, easy or more difficult whatever you chose and a good place to go and just relax. Although I do miss the old days when the cabins had no T.V.'s or telephones.

Social Media