Question for all you medical people

Open Discussion
Renee H

Question for all you medical people

Post by Renee H » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:31 am

Is it possible to damage or injure the rhomboid muscles when kayaking? If so, how? I am pretty sure I did something to cause this when I was at Dierks two weeks ago. Doctor said that based on where the pain is, it is around the rhomboid muscles. Anyway, I was told I should go see a physical therapist. Just wondering if it will do any good or should I just wait it out?

Dave Smith

Re: Question for all you medical people

Post by Dave Smith » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:28 am

Let's see your DOCTOR told ya to get physical therapy but you are asking here for a second opinion????? :poke:

Sorry Renee I couldn't help it but at least it's a bump :D

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:55 am

My first reaction is to agree with Dave. :lol:

Plus, it is always fun to :hammer: Renee because you'll rarely find a better sport.

Then I have to remember - we have folks like Canoe, Cathy, and others here - so maybe this really is a "one stop shopping" information place. But the user just has to remember to "consider the source". Take special note of legal answers from Kim T, DavidBob, Crane, special note of medical advice answers from Canoe, Cathy, Dru, Shannon, and many others in one of the medical professions, special note of river rescue answers from Walter F, Dee T, OzarkTom, and so on.

As long as you can figure out who you're really talking to, this board is truly an amazing place!
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

canoe

Post by canoe » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:01 pm

Rhomboid muscle strain/tear or tendonitis can be difficult. Go to the therapist, take you anti-inflammatories, take a little time off paddling, start paddling a 1 blade boat(kidding). Dale

Zach

Post by Zach » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:59 pm

Now that you have input from two doctors, you should be able to glean what the rest of message board can offer from HERE. :lol:

Renee H

Post by Renee H » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:21 pm

Dave & Cowper - you're right. I shouldn't question medical professionals :wink: I did make an appt and got in like an hour after I called. Turns out, it's not the muscle, but something I did to the joint where the rib cage joins shoulder blade. I am still trying to figure out what I did - I am guessing a really bad roll on the back deck in the creek boat in a sticky hole. He adjusted it and did the TENS treatment. I couldn't get him to give me an exact amount of time for it to heal. But I guess I was expecting a miracle in that I was hoping I'd be all fixed up today so I can paddle this weekend. Guess I'll have to "TRY" to take it easy, but it's gonna be hard :mrgreen:

Zach - you are too funny!!!!

Dale, that is exactly what he told me - "to take it easy." But I think he knew I was still gonna go this weekend. He said it was up to me on how long it takes to get better. I think I can use hand paddles this weekend instead of the paddle, because I don't seem to have as many problems. The past 2 weekends, I've been using my paddle and keep injuring myself. Guess I will stay out of the 3rd hole as well :wink:

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:28 pm

Crazy talk I know but maybe take it easy even meant no, as in zero, paddling for one weekend??? :poke:

only cause I love ya Renee....we can harass you more over margaritas tonight :beer:

Renee H

Post by Renee H » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:39 pm

Dave - I just HAVE to go to Dierks for the big party the Cajuns are throwing! I guess I could paddle downriver with some new people or help Adam teach his daughters, but I cannot just not be in the water. I guess I will stay out of the holes - just plain old leisurely paddling shouldn't bother me. And besides, you can harass me tonight, but Jenny will get my back. It would be like telling her not to do a run :)

hdh
Name: Harlan

Post by hdh » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:42 pm

It's better to wear out than rust out. :beer:
Harlan Dickson Hughes.....If you fly with the buzzards at night, you got to soar with the eagles in the morning!!!!!!

Zach

Post by Zach » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:02 pm

I thought social lubricants were supposed to prevent rust?

RichardL

Post by RichardL » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:29 pm

Renee,

To answer some of your questions that have not been touched on, I would say it is very possible to injure this muscle kayaking.

How? We all know how easy it is to injure ones shoulder, so tweak your body a little different with the right torque, directed the right way. That type of injury is very feasible with a bad posture roll.

Did your therapist advise you of any stretches that would help? I find thats the best way to prevent further injury. Other than completely advoiding the cause.

Just my two cents. Wish you could all see the whitewater here. Omg
"They got ninjad, and I now wear a keeper" Joe Tarver

canoe

Post by canoe » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:38 pm

Renee,
I not being the Dr but, knowing what he says is gospil . I'm pretty sure you should not paddle this weekend unless you do want to recover quick. some times those take months to repair from what I hear. Drink and watch the paddlers... Pam

druse

Post by druse » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:15 pm

Good advice to rest and not overdue it, which could lead to further injury. Like I should be talking here. Anyway, some new research indicates that massage therapy can assist in healing especially if you have trigger points that can be rubbed. Rationale is that it increases blood flow to the area increasing the body's inflamatory response that aids in healing and maintaing motion. Good excuse to go get a massage.

mshellabarger
Name: mark shellabarger

Post by mshellabarger » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:24 pm

hey I broke my hand and I didn't quit paddling, You've only strained a muscle... The key is to pre-medicate so you don't feel the pain... And to think of paddling as your therapy... It worked for me..

RandyJ
Name: Randy Jackson

Post by RandyJ » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:35 pm

My $0.02...

1) I've had very good luck with phys therapists. Thanks to my PT, my torn hammy is almost good as new after my up-close-and-personal encounter with Roadblock (Richland). Due to PT, I expect I'll now have much less scar tissue and therefore much lower chance of reinjury.

2). Warming up shoulders and arms with some simple motions and light resistance is more important than stretching before paddling. Save the flexibility/range of motion stuff for TV time.

3) Anti-inflammatories: yes, in moderation. Personal faves are Vitamin I (ibuprofen) and/or naproxin sodium.

Good luck on a speedy recupe! Wish I could be there @ Dierks this weekend, but I'm very happily paddled out for a few days. :-)
Let there be rain!

Social Media