How do I get started?

Open Discussion

thunderman
Name: Mike Francis

How do I get started?

Post by thunderman » Fri May 29, 2009 4:02 pm

I am looking to get into this awesome sport, but have no idea where to begin. I live in Benton and have a friend with a kayak that wants me to go with him. Where can I go to get the right equip and what can I do to learn? Also, where are there some good rivers in central Arkansas I can start on?

Mike

JTarver

Re: How do I get started?

Post by JTarver » Fri May 29, 2009 5:18 pm

Mike, welcome to the board, and welcome to whitewater! It'll change your life forever. I too, live in Benton, and will be happy to meet up with you sometime on the saline here in town and go over some basics...and probably log some river miles while we are at it. My schedule is kindof insane, but if I am available I'm happy to help you out. Also, you can find gear here on the for sale column of the message board, or you have Ouachita outdoors in hot springs , and they have a great selection and very knowledgable staff, or Ozark outdoors in Little rock that carries gear and boats also.

Where are you located in Benton, and do you know where the Lyle park access is at the saline river here?
I go there alot in summer if nothing else is running and practice flatwater stuff.
Hit me up when you can, and we will try to meet up soon.
Peace,
Joe

Also, what kind of paddling do you want to do, or do you have an idea yet? There is creeking, playbo
Last edited by JTarver on Fri May 29, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And all this life we've glorified
Robbin' from the blind
It's not easy, you see
Don't think i don't know sympathy
My victims in my shadow
Starin' back at me

JTarver

Post by JTarver » Fri May 29, 2009 5:23 pm

Mike, welcome to the board, and whitewater paddling!
I live in benton too, and do flatwater drills on the saline at the lyle park access in summer often. I would be happy to help you out, and maybe log some river miles too. My schedule is kindof nuts cause I work two jobs, go to school full time and have two kids, but when we can meet up I will be happy to work with you all I can. We are really close to rockport too, which is another fantastic learning spot. Malvern..22 miles from us. good stuff.
You can find gear here on the for sale portion of the message board, and also at Ouachita outdoors ( Triple O ) as they have plenty of gear and boats, and a very knowlegable staff to help. There is also Ozark outdoors in little rock, and they carry some gear and boats also.

Do you have an idea of what kind of paddling you want to do, there is creeking, playboating, slalom, squirtboating, etc. Figure that out, and it's a good start to lead you to where you want to be. Lots of youtube videos to help out with your choice.
Get with me when you can, we will arrange a time to meet, and get you boating!
Peace,
Joe
Robbin' from the blind
It's not easy, you see
My victims in my shadow
Starin' back at me

JTarver

Post by JTarver » Fri May 29, 2009 5:24 pm

LOL, sorry about the double post, the first one disappeared, so I didn't think it posted. The second is mainly a recap. lol
Joe
Robbin' from the blind
It's not easy, you see
My victims in my shadow
Starin' back at me

mgood

Post by mgood » Fri May 29, 2009 8:31 pm

Mike- Welcome to how you're going to spend your time off of work/school/money/significant other's patience for the rest of your life (hopefully).

Social Media