Intervention

Open Discussion

rickyrod
Name: rickyrod

Re: Intervention

Post by rickyrod » Wed May 13, 2009 4:37 am

And Renee, It's good to know when someone is jokeing around ,and not. It's seems to be a rare thing these daz. :twisted: And realy about the club thing, I'm on the Heavener chamber o com. that's a club , I do projects for the surounding areas (city counc.) And of course alot of work at the wister state park all of wich are clubs, where I donate my time and work. The reason I haven't joind the ACC is the fact that I live in OKLAHOMA . what does that have to do with anything ,you might ask?anyone thats been around knows that jokes and coments at our expence happen all the time . but I don't take it personal.do I?Then I get to thinking mabee arkansans think they are beter then OKIES< or TEXANS< than I remember I was born in Ft. Smith. ARK>but Yea we are looked down on because of were we choose to live . and I would'nt move for all the H20 inthe world.

michelle Ashford
Name: Michelle

Post by michelle Ashford » Wed May 13, 2009 8:05 am

I'm an okie and I belong to the ACC. The River Valley chapter... And I think it's great! But Renee you are right, doesn't matter what you belong to when you are on the water. We are all boaters and might i say that i have NEVER met a nicer group of people than kayakers... It is unbelievable how kind and helpful everybody is and willingness to teach others so they can better themselves on the water... it's a great comradery... I love arkies and I love the texans and of course I love the okies!!!
Go kayakers!!! :beer:

Renee H

Post by Renee H » Wed May 13, 2009 8:30 am

Ricky - ACC has 2 chapters in Oklahoma (Red Dirt and Dust Bowl) - located in OKC and Tulsa. Louisiana also has a chapter (ArkLaTex). It really doesn't matter where you live - you can join if you wanna.

Fish

Post by Fish » Wed May 13, 2009 8:37 am

Sure, everyone knows that Arkies are never the butt of any jokes. No one from those states has ever insinuated that we don't own a pair of shoes. Or that we've had relationships our cousins. Or various farm animals. Or that we brush our "tooth" every night. Or have the same DNA as the entire rest of the state. Or that we have to take out auto insurance on our houses in case a tire goes flat...

Yeah, I really feel sorry for the picked on folks in OK and TX. :-)

I paddle with Oklahomans and Texans all the time. And most of the folks I paddle with don't pay ACC dues. Like Rob said on this thread earlier, I think it's great to have ACC around and it's great if you feel like giving them some bucks to support what they do, but when it comes to paddling with people, pretty much all the ACC "members" I know could care less if you're carrying an ACC card in your wallet. (Not that there is even a card.:) ) And as far as TX, OK, LA, and AR are all concerned, all the folks who live in states where whitewater are in the same boat. None of those states is exactly WA or CO or NC or WV... or even TN! Man, I hate those guys! :wink:

- Fish

michelle Ashford

Post by michelle Ashford » Wed May 13, 2009 8:47 am

Well said Fish!! :clap:

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Wed May 13, 2009 8:59 am

I think it's funny to see so much "I don't care if you're a member or not, we're all just paddlers" but at the same time all the rah rah rah Go ACC that was thrown out when the raft was recovered. Once again, the ACC members need to ramp it down some with all the cheerleading. Jeez, give it a fricking break. :hammer:

Half Ton
Name: J Herrick P

Post by Half Ton » Wed May 13, 2009 9:34 am

Point # 1 - The Moores Raft was Recoverd by boaters who care :beer:

Point # 2 - I have been on the out and the in with the club. I have been disenchanted and enchanted with the club.

Point # 3 - I get the outsider/anticlub boater club/ independant/ soul boater type, I get the die hard ACC type, and those in between.

Point # 4 - not all non acc boaters are cool, not all acc boaters are cool, not all non acc boaters are @SSes and not all ACC boaters are @sses. But with anything in life it is a mixed bag and also like many have already said we is all boaters :beer: who like them waves !

Point # 5 - The reason I over came my inability to join the club was because, regardles of member or non member boaters, the ACC does put a lot of effort into river access and conservation issues. More consistantly so than any city, county, or non boater club or anti-club.

point # 6 - That time, effort, and consistancy is worth my 20 bucks, because the club as a whole, and non members too, combined stretch river cleanup/ access/ other issues way more than little ole half ton aka john pennington can do.

point # 7 - To me, an original soul boater/anti-clubber turned clubber.... I think the club is a good deal for someone to support for just those reasons....and the best thing is there's more reasons than that.

point # 8 - If you are against the way the club "is" or members "act" then join the club of adding to the "old schoolers" / "classics" that got it started.

Point # 9 - The originals aka "classics"/ "ole schoolers" deserve a lot of thanks and respect for getting the boat rolling, and while what has been created may not be perfect - what else is ? and how can it be made better?... by becoming involved in the continually adapting entity known as the ACC.

Point # 10 - I am an opinionated knuckleheaded lover of water and those who work to keep 'em in good shape and who regain rafts for the Moores.

If anyone wants to argue about any of those points please pm me. And I will argue with you till you no longer wish. If you continue to post argumentative stuff then I will pm you to death or until I get banned again :shock:
"The challenge goes on. There are other lands and rivers, other wilderness areas, to save and to share with all. I challenge you to step forward to protect and care for the wild places you love best"

- Neil Compton

Fish

Post by Fish » Wed May 13, 2009 9:57 am

tomcat wrote:Once again, the ACC members need to ramp it down some with all the cheerleading. Jeez, give it a fricking break. :hammer:
Tommy, you sound more than a little like a grumpy guy standing on the porch yelling at kids quit playing and having fun in the neighbor's yard. What the heck does it matter to you if anyone cheers for ACC? Do you just automatically take folks praising ACC as criticism of you? I love ya man, but it seems like you just might be the one with the chip on his shoulder.

I sincerely hope my cheerfulness doesn't offend anyone else.

- Fish

michelle Ashford

Post by michelle Ashford » Wed May 13, 2009 9:58 am

Didn't this start out as a cool story about a raft recovery? how did it get all turned around into issues of member or non members? doesn't matter, good thing is that they got their boat back. networking got it back for them. let's just all get along :beer:

Fish

Post by Fish » Wed May 13, 2009 9:59 am

Half Ton wrote:Point # 1 - The Moores Raft was Recoverd by boaters who care :beer:

[Nine more points...]
What he said.

- Fish

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Wed May 13, 2009 10:09 am

michelle Ashford wrote:Didn't this start out as a cool story about a raft recovery? how did it get all turned around into issues of member or non members? doesn't matter, good thing is that they got their boat back. networking got it back for them. let's just all get along :beer:
Michelle, as I've already pointed out, it was the rah rah ACC over the raft recovery that left a bad taste in my mouth. You were there....who was the first person to tell you that it was in fact the stolen raft at the Falls? Hint...who ask you to help remember the suspects license plate number as we were ALL figgering out the next move. What I saw that day was a bunch of boaters coming together to assist....and the first to play the club card were those overzealous members who just couldn't stop themselves from making it a club issue.

fish...the above paragraph bout sums it up dude.

jclaudii
Name: Jason N

Post by jclaudii » Wed May 13, 2009 10:18 am

Hey all, I'm a non-member that has been on here for years. I have loved being on this board and hearing all the talk that comes from both sides so I am very glad that it stayed open to non-members. I think this club and board is great for people to contact one another and make plans about shuttles, trips, cleanups, etc. Not to mention all the talk about accidents, recovery's, paddling tips, strainer warnings, and tall tales.

I hope the paddling community will still "play nice" together just like bikers wave at other bikers as they go by and the Jeep crowd tends to stick together as well. I know there are bad apples in every group (even in the above examples), but the overall difference of the whole can be noticed. I will join the club one of these days, but until then I will help the club out every now and then by buying a sticker (or other merchandise), or showing up to a cleanup event.

I have been in clubs enough to know if you want something done a certain way, then you should get involved in the process. One of the clubs I'm involved in post their club minutes and agendas online for everyone to see. This has helped alot in basically getting the "secret room" stuff out in the open for everyone to look at and either become involved (if it interest them), or to contact someone about the issue and discuss it more.

I would like to thank everyone who has helped keep the ACC board open to all kinds of paddlers regardless of membership status! Thanks! :beer:

Fish

Post by Fish » Wed May 13, 2009 10:20 am

Chip. :poke:

prophet
Name: Grant Nally

Post by prophet » Wed May 13, 2009 10:30 am

i'm glad this stuff is coming out now so we can move on to a new topic in July and August

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Wed May 13, 2009 10:32 am

Fish wrote:Chip. :poke:
club card :poke:

Social Media