Buffalo River Question

Open Discussion

mgood

Buffalo River Question

Post by mgood » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:01 pm

I'm planning on heading up to float the Buffalo with some friends who don't have much experience, and I was thinking of doing an overnight float from Ponca down to highway 7. Do y'all have any suggestions as to who is the best/cheapest outfitter to contact for shuttle/rental? We're all students, so saving money goes a long way. Also, if there's a better section for a two day trip (better scenery/more rapids), please set me straight. I haven't paddled the Buffalo since I was 7, so its been a while. Thanks

Louiscov
Name: Louis Covington

Re: Buffalo River Question

Post by Louiscov » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:01 pm

Congratulations on selecting THE TRIP on the Buffalo: For best scenery, best rapids you have hit bullseye with Ponca to Hwy 7, water permitting. No need to look further if your trip is in the next six weeks. You can incorporate some wonderful side hikes and enjoy the river at it's most beautiful, interesting best.

I've had great fortune with Buffalo Outdoor Center in Ponca. You'll get other replies with this query, & I'll send one later with more detail.

louis c

Contact info Buffalo Outdoor Center: http://www.buffaloriver.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Wind In the Willows

"I am haunted by waters." A River Runs Through It

louis covington

ebell
Name: eric

Post by ebell » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:13 pm

That is a great float. If your a student at the U of A you can rent canoes for $30 per weekend. BOC will charge your for a canoe and a shuttle fee as will Lost Valley ( the other outfitter in ponca). I have used BOC and they have always done what they said they would do. They are not the cheapest or the friendliest. In the future I plan on giving Lost Valley my business. I just checked their prices. Lost Valley is a little cheaper I believe. I just haven't been a fan of the personal interaction with the owner of BOC. They have always performed as they said they would however. I personally would rent boats from the school if at all possible and run my own shuttle. have fun.

eric

mgood

Post by mgood » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:44 pm

The only problem is that we'll be driving in from out of state, so I only have one car to run shuttle. Preferably, I'm looking for the cheapest to rent two canoes and somehow make the shuttle.

Louiscov
Name: Louis Covington

Post by Louiscov » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:03 pm

Here's two other rental/shuttle businesses to check prices on that I've used and been pleased with for rental/shuttles. Both are in Jasper:

http://www.gordonmotel.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.riverviewmotelandcanoe.com/canoe-rental.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On this trip I like to drive in to Kyles and observe the takeout so as not to miss it, set up camp, drive on to Ponca, then paddle a lightly loaded, sporty handling canoe back to Kyles, then paddle on to Hwy 7 the next day, drive back to Kyles to pick up gear. Kyles is a beautiful campground, but you must not miss it with your gear there. You could paddle to Erbie campground day 1 and do the same thing. That shortens paddling on day 2 when the river slows a little, but the campground is not nearly as beautiful as Kyles.
"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Wind In the Willows

"I am haunted by waters." A River Runs Through It

louis covington

Randy Dodson

Post by Randy Dodson » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:05 pm

check out the post on the recreation page, EXCELLENT OUTFITTER: BUFFALO RIVER CANOES.

They're just a little ways north of the Pruitt access.

Based on what Tim has to say about them, I'd check em out.

Lots of people use BOC in Ponca and like em but I too have found that they just aren't very friendly and they are high. But they will get your vehicle shuttled for you.

Lost Valley has always been good to us and they have a cool store.

Buffalo Adventures used to be the best but that was back when Ron and Deb Gregory owned it. I think they've sold it but it's another option you could check out.
Parrot Head Paddler

Mtngal
Name: Gerry Hemmer

Post by Mtngal » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:40 pm

The rental rates are set by the National Park Service, I'm not sure about the shuttle rates, but a phone call or 2 will answer that. I agree that Lost Valley is nicer than BOC and as to Buffalo Adventures....I do not recommend them, but send me a PM if you want more details....my 2 cents worth. Too bad as the Gregorys were great.

(edited by Boofmaster)

Social Media