How to get the US Army Corps on your side!!!!

Open Discussion

KAYAKN

How to get the US Army Corps on your side!!!!

Post by KAYAKN » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:20 pm

What do you guys think would be the best way to get the Corp on our side?? This site would be a great teaching spot, has a huge recovery area below. There is also some strong eddies below. They have around 3" to 5" eddie walls with some standing waves in a wave train. Ive talked to some local ww boaters that have surfed this in the summer months, TONS of snakes and gators. Bet the newbies would learn to roll FAST :lol:

EDDIES

HOLES

Tmuse

Re: How to get the US Army Corps on your side!!!!

Post by Tmuse » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:57 pm

what is kayaking illegal or something? You should get out on the water and check it out at different water levels. Just :hammer: the snakes and gators with your paddle when they get to close for comfort. :poke: :beer:

turboturtle

Post by turboturtle » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:35 am

Yeah, If the area is not posted for trespassing or boating, then go for it. try it out.

The COE is not known for working with the private citizen on any level. Its only through the graciousness of the individuals working at Dirks that any communication exists at all.

I suggest someone apply for a three day release at Dirks and host a rodeo. Their are others who have done this over the years for slalom racing back in the day.

My two cents worth

Bob
Ten Thousand RPM's One Mile an Hour!

"Get a little every time you go"- Cowper

KAYAKN

Post by KAYAKN » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:36 pm

I dont think boating is illegal, they just look at us like we are nutts when we talk about ww. Folks just dont know. The only way i think we will get the ok from them is to tell them we can use it for a "safe" teaching tool. We could have a intro swr class there once some rocks have been placed. We could have some intro to ww class there also. On the swr part we could even do over head rescue. The location has HUGE potential. Just got to do some talking with the correct, open minded folks.

mgood

Post by mgood » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:51 pm

I've been paddling here for years. There's no gators, but beware the snakes when you put in. No one has ever told me not to paddle, and I've talked to many state troopers about it. The area is a public park, and the corp seems to be fine with it. I wouldn't ever want to swim here, but I learned quite a bit by park and play here. It hasn't run in about a year and a half- when I was 16, my dad and I were playing in it twice a month it seems. The only way to catch it is when it's dumping outside. Just for a future reference, it only is runnable when it is around 145/146 on this website : http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterCon ... 8&dt=S&d=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm going out to run it at around 4 today- if anyone's up for it, I'll meet you there.

Also, if anyone is ever up for helping me rearrange the rocks to make everything cleaner, I'd really appreciate the help.

mgood

Post by mgood » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:54 pm

Also, on a side note, the lower picture you took is best at around 144/143. They're slanted standing waves, but fun nonetheless.

KAYAKN

Post by KAYAKN » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:42 pm

Mgood
Man oh man i would love to come help move some rocks!!! I have two little ones and just cant break away during the week due to homework. Maybe we could set a date for some weekend rockin!?!?!
Adam

mgood

Post by mgood » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:46 pm

Agreed. But it's got to get down to 142 for it to be possible to move anything. And I vote that we wait till it's a LOT warmer. Maybe we could propose this at the next Ark-la-tex chapter meeting...

KAYAKN

Post by KAYAKN » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:53 pm

Sounds good to me, will you be there??? Sounds like you have a ton of info.

mgood

Post by mgood » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:00 pm

Well, as long as the meetings are on Wed. nights, I can't make them. Or if they stay at their same time. I've got soccer practice for Centenary then, and I can;t exactly miss (if I did, i'd be running till next year). My dad's rep's the Goodwin's at the meetings- he'll have more info than I do.

KAYAKN

Post by KAYAKN » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:39 pm

Mgood
Do you guys know how to convert the lake height to cfs for the output of the spillway? I cant find any info, maybe looking in the wrong places.
Adam

mgood

Post by mgood » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:01 am

No idea how to convert to cfs. But after going out there yesterday, I'd say that the new level for any whitewater paddling is 147/148. Things have moved around in the last couple of years and made it a lot bonier-146 is just too low. Also, there's a log in the middle that we need to pull out.

JTarver

Post by JTarver » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:30 pm

Here, use this. It's much easier..and you don't have to know how high the lake is to calculate.
Try a few different calculations, double check yourself. Here is the site:

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalo ... ec/ec1369/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe
And all this life we've glorified
Robbin' from the blind
It's not easy, you see
Don't think i don't know sympathy
My victims in my shadow
Starin' back at me

KAYAKN

Post by KAYAKN » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Joe
Thanks for the info.
Adam

KAYAKN

Post by KAYAKN » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:27 am

This is the info i just received, Joe can you do anything with the numbers.
Mr. Willard,
That site is owned and operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and is available at http://www.rivergages.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . From the home page, select the Vicksburg Disctrict and then the Red River basin. The Wallace Lake gage is the fifth one down the list. The gages available for Wallace Lake are the tailwater, on the downstream side of the spillway, and the pool elevation. The tailwater gage appears to have malfunctioned and I have notified the Corps.

If we can help with anything else, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Aub N. Ward
USGS, Louisiana Water Science Center
Ruston Program Office
3095 W. California Ave.
Ruston, LA 71270
Phone:(318) 251-9630 ext. 15
Mobile:(318)548-1637
Fax:(318) 251-0372

Social Media