Favorite class 3-4 runs in Ark.

Open Discussion
okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Re: Favorite class 3-4 runs in Ark.

Post by okieboater » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:16 pm

My favorite all around kayak float in AR is Cossatot. Upper Richland is close but compared to the Cossatot the logistics are harder and it does not run as much.

Good camping, great rapids, play and good drops, White House for chicken fry steak after the run
and
it runs a lot more than the other class 3/4 runs in my opinion.

Just post on this msg board when you get here. Some of us are retired and every day is play day for us.

But, if the Cossatot is running, you can almost every time get a shuttle going if you camp at the falls or hang out at the take out
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

A Savage spanke

Post by A Savage spanke » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:24 pm

YAY CLARKSVILLE!!!

The hailstone. Lots of fun, continous, and (I believe) in Newton County (prettiest in arkansas).

Please do not come to arkansas to go to wister wave.
It could be worse, it could stop raining
call to paddle 479.518.0017

Lifejacket
Name: Adam Snodgrass

Post by Lifejacket » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:29 pm

Glad you brought that up Spanke, I have been wanting to get in on that run and the Hurricane creek Greg keeps telling me about. Problem is I don't remember which Hurricane creek it is.
Yellow Extrasport now above a blue Liquid Logic Hoss

Trismegistus
Name: John

Post by Trismegistus » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:13 pm

"Please do not come to arkansas to go to wister wave."

Wouldn't quite make sense, would it? Nothing against Wister but....

RandyJ
Name: Randy Jackson

Post by RandyJ » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:34 pm

Peter Holcombe wrote:
What is that surfboard looking contraption?
That is a SUP (Stand up paddle surfboard). A new way to surf taken from the beaches and recently brought to the rivers. I think it is going to gain popularity this summer here on the Colorado rivers. Just another way to surf/play on the rivers. Seems weird but I cant wait to get on one.
Looks fun, and would definitely spice up an old familiar run. I ran across this on Mountain Buzz - check it out.
Let there be rain!

mgood

Post by mgood » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:40 pm

From what I have done in AR, the most consistently running, fun river is the Cossatot. It is a great river with a wide Class range, and a great river to learn and perfect all the moves on. I learned how to eddy hop in the Esses, how to spin because of the section from Ed Banks downward, and ran my first class IV on the Machine. Anyone in the paddling community (not just in AR, but also in LA and the surrounding areas) recognizes and respects a successful run of the Cossatot. I always used to measure my paddling ability by what I ran on this river. I think that I entered into a higher level once I first ran the falls.

That being said, my favorite river as of today is Upper Richland. The scenery, remoteness, and rapids are unbeatable, and it holds for a few days so it's possible for the guys far away to catch it once in a while. Several rapids require a few "must-make" moves (like Lower Screw Up or Crack in the Rock)- there's only one or two of these on the 'tot. If you nail these, expect a huge confidence boost in your paddling. I also had a great experience being lead down by guys who gave me a few good tips (thanks Heath). In my opinion, Richland is a big step up from the 'Tot, and hopefully will serve as my introduction to Ozark creekin (assuming that I'll ever get a creek boat). I feel very confident now about my paddling and knowing what I can handle, and a large part of that was paddling Richland for the first time.

Trismegistus

Post by Trismegistus » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:41 am

mm mm good! Like minds!! And I do so have to concur that I haven't found a better stretch in Arkansas than the Esses for practicing one's "eddy hops" -- strong, steady current, dozens of eddies -- a few folks like Lance know them all intimately (I tend to miss 3 out of 4) -- and if so desired you can repeat the run (it's relatively short) by lugging your boat back up stream (or better yet just repeat the entire run) to refine your technique.

And likewise I consider Richland to be the "classic" Ozark - yet to run the upper Buffalo though...on my list.

Lifejacket

Post by Lifejacket » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:05 am

Trismegistus wrote:and if so desired you can repeat the run (it's relatively short) by lugging your boat back up stream (or better yet just repeat the entire run) to refine your technique.
I don't know about the lugging your boat back up stream, I have portaged this section before and it is not fun. I will quote Rusty "Its only a class III rapid, but the portage is class VI+. I would rather swim then Drag any day! :poke: " I think better to just repeat the run from Ed Banks to Sandbar.

Trismegistus

Post by Trismegistus » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:07 pm

Point well taken LJ -- I guess when I'm paddling the Esses I'm not paying particular good attention to anything beyond the shoreline. I humbly stand so corrected. Thanks.

A Savage spanke

Post by A Savage spanke » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:53 pm

Not Hurricane (never ran it, even though I hear it is awesome) I was talking about the Hailstone. I really don't think that richland is any harder than it is (havn't got to do either with a whole lot of water though), as far as beauty and remoteness they might be about equal (hailstone might be more remote).

Fish's comment about E.F.L.B. is right on, that thing is a blast too! If you can possibly do the sandy springs section I'd highly HIGHLY reccomend it. That day was one of the best days on the water (which means it greatly surpasses days not on the water) I've ever had.

Lifejacket

Post by Lifejacket » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:35 pm

A Savage spanke wrote:Not Hurricane (never ran it, even though I hear it is awesome) I was talking about the Hailstone.
What I was trying to say is I want to run both Hailstone and Hurricane. I am assuming it is the Hurricane on the Piney and NOT the Dullberry. :lol:

Zach

Post by Zach » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:25 pm

I'd put Hailstone higher on my list, except for how long it is. It is nice to finish the day wanting more. Get off Tot or Richland and I want to go back to the start again. Get off Hailstone and I don't want to even get in my boat for a week.

A Savage spanke wrote: I really don't think that richland is any harder than it is (havn't got to do either with a whole lot of water though), as far as beauty and remoteness they might be about equal (hailstone might be more remote).
There are lots of rapids on Richland that are long enough that flipping at the top can mean hitting lots of rocks while upside down (Knucklebuster, left side of Crack, Confluence Rapid, Apple Pie, LS, Maytag). Most of the drops on Hailstone are a single drop with a relatively mild run out to a pool (though if you have trouble on an early one, you're in for a long day since they only get tougher for the next 8 or so miles). Though I'm in the same boat, haven't been on either at higher levels to see what they do.

Heath

Post by Heath » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:01 pm

I am going to go with fish on EFLB I may even like it more than Richland.

great run with lots of waterfalls coming in every where.

]prob is a dont ever remember doing it at a sane level. :hammer: maybe onceupon a time but not sure.

Heath

Boofaholic
Name: joe cutrer

Post by Boofaholic » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:30 pm

Comparing the hailstone to richland is rediculous.Richland fat is PHAT!Anywhere close to zero is great and when its + expect one of the best bigwater creeking runs around.Add in a Devils huck or two and no comparison.Unless Eflb is fat and Barberry is up it doesnt get my vote, but then we arent talkin class 3-4 now are we? In fact if Eflb were to be up I would really like to do the Barberry/Sandy double.Talk about a sweet yet brutal workout! :crazy: So I vote Richland if we are talkin about something caught fairly often. (Unless the hard to catch creeks count, then Im voting Beech. Scenery unrivaled, rapids all day! :drool:
http://teamgreensboatingblog.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Savage spanke

Post by A Savage spanke » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:57 pm

maybe I just need to stop doing big water play runs and start hitting these creeks at higher levels

Social Media