Warning! Dangerous sieve on Frog Bayou

Open Discussion
tkennon

Warning! Dangerous sieve on Frog Bayou

Post by tkennon » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:28 pm

Last Saturday (2-14-09) was a perfect day to run the classic “Lancaster to Rudy Run” on Frog Bayou. The water level was 3.4 on the Rudy gauge with clear skies and the temperature predicted to reach the mid 50’s. I have made this run close to 100 times, and I have never known there was a sieve or dangerous crack in the rocks on Canyon Falls Rapid (the last major rapid on the run about ¾ of a mile before the takeout at the Rudy Bridge).

This day would be different from my previous runs. I decided to try a different approach and run the rapid on river right. This approach was my first mistake. All was fine until I began to make my turn to the left and I was blocked by the ledge just below the hole in the center of the channel. With nowhere to go, I hit the ledge and flipped. When I came up, the boat was on top of me, pinning me to the infamous boulders at the bottom of the rapid on river right. I was able push the boat off me and towards the current on river left. This is when things got a bit tense. I felt the current pulling me slowly under the boulders through a sieve that I never knew existed at this spot. This was not a good feeling! I was now facing the boulders and being pulled slowly under them but I was able to hold my position with some difficulty. The one thing I knew was that I did not want to explore this sieve. I slowly inched my way to river left and was able to get my feet in the current that was deflecting off of the solid part of the boulders. The downstream current then caught me and helped pull me off the boulders and away from the sieve. John Pearce was poised at the head of the eddy on river left getting ready to throw me a rope. His dad, Larry, was doing his own self rescue low in the eddy on river right. Once I was out in the main current, Jim Jones and Jim Simmons were there in their tandem boat to help me get to shore. Then they rescued my boat and paddle. I was probably in danger about a minute and half, but it seemed much longer!

Personal observations

Accidents can happen on any stream. I mentioned earlier that I have paddled Frog Bayou many times. Always be aware of risks and be prepared.

My swiftwater training was invaluable in this situation. I am convinced it helped me remain calm and determine my options. I knew if I could remain stable, help was close by, and so I did not do anything that made the situation worse. I also knew that self rescue was my best bet even though others were close by. In this short period many of the skills taught and practiced in the swiftwater course helped keep me calm and effect a self rescue.

This hazard is real, and everyone needs to be aware of the existence of the sieve at Canyon Falls Rapid. I will go back at lower water and check it out to see it in more detail. Even if I had passed through the sieve, the danger always exists of additional blockage from tree limbs. I am also convinced that at levels about 3.4 the margin for error is very small. Stay away from river right in this rapid; it is not worth the risk.

Finally, I was fortunate or maybe lucky. But I think some of the luck was due to previous swiftwater training and proper boat outfitting. I had good airbags in my boat that prevented a more serious pinning with the boat facing upstream.

Tom Kennon

Ryan Viser

Re: Warning! Dangerous sieve on Frog Bayou

Post by Ryan Viser » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:46 pm

Wow, thanks for the info and the warning Tom. Glad you made it through the incident unscathed. Kudos for remaining calm. If you do make it out there at lower water you should snap a pic so we can see what it looks like.

Ryan

Fish

Post by Fish » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:23 am

The sieve in the rocks on the river right side is more prominent at lower water, but it's probably at its most dangerous at the level you had. I always point out the sieve to folks who are with me who are new to the creek. More advanced boaters often run the right side and then cut left, but, as Tom's incident shows, even a very experienced boater can get pinned up on the right side in the rocks and be in serious trouble - it's a very tricky run over there (I used to call the rapid "Invisible Rock" since the main pin rock is very hard to see from upstream). I'll echo Tom's sentiments that the only really safe route through the rapid is to run far left. With beginning boaters on the run, we often set a rope on the left bank just in case.

The ironic thing is that I was just telling some folks about that sieve a couple weeks ago when we ran the Frog at the same level, 3.4, pointing out the water going into the rocks and under them. I said something like "it looks dangerous, but I've never heard of anyone having a problem there". I'm glad indeed that you're OK Tom, and thanks for the detailed report on the hazard and your experience!

- Fish

paddledog

Post by paddledog » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:51 am

Some of us know that as "Screaming Left Hand Turn" rapid.
I have a photo somewhere of it almost dry,
from this you can see there is more than one "body size" opening in the rocks.
I will see if I can find and post it soon.
If you sit in the river left eddy across from the boulder pile,
you will notice that almost a third of the water goes through the boulders.
If you were to go through some of the openings,
there would be almost no help.
Nothing could be done until the water dropped.
Congrats on remaining calm and performing self-rescue.
Remember, the first person on the site of a rescue is in the best position to help,
and the first person on the site of any rescue is always the victim.
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

T Yamashita
Piney Creeks Chapter President

Post by T Yamashita » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:48 am

Glad to hear it turned out well!!! That was too close for comfort. Sounds like you had a good crew with you so that was a big plus. :clap: :clap:

ty

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Post by RomanLA » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:49 pm

I'm glad you're alright! Good job staying calm!!!

Fish can you update your page to say there's a sieve at Invisible Rock? Also, anyone on the Arkansas Stream Team that can update the AW page?

http://www.ozarkpages.com/cgi-bin/crfind.pl?Frog
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... ail_id_94_

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:21 pm

Thanks for sharing this one. When you read accident reports, it is surprising how many involve a highly experienced paddler at a place known to be well within that paddler's capability, maybe even "easy" for him/her. I'm just glad your story only made the "near miss" category!
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Mike_P
Name: Mike Potts

Post by Mike_P » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:34 pm

Tom I'm glad you're OK! I actually paddled that run the day before & remember wondering what that rapid would be like on "Friday the 13th".

Don't know if you remember but you & I discussed the "class" of that rapid a couple of years ago on this board. First time I ran that rapid I thought class II+ was as big I ever needed to run. Here's that post:

http://www.arkansascanoeclub.com/mb/vie ... f=1&t=6030" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe it should be upgraded to "class III" in your next edition :-) Hope to paddle with you some day (tell Larry P. I said hi).

Mike P.
Rogers

tkennon

Post by tkennon » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:28 pm

Thanks for all the good comments on this situation. I really felt it was important to share this accident to alert the paddling community of the potential problems that exist at this rapid.

Mike, your points about the rating are well taken. The potential penalty is certainly more than class II. At higher levels even the left route is constricted by willows on river left, leaving a very narrow margin for error. Our tendancy is to downgrade the ratings of rapids as we all become more proficient with our boating skills, but this may one case where we may want to reconsider how we rate this rapid. I wonder how others feel about the rating of the rapid?

The Red Prophet

Post by The Red Prophet » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:22 am

Wow, close call. :shock: Were you underwater during this?
Wait... What?

Don Harwood

Post by Don Harwood » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:34 am

Glad you made it out of that situation Tom!
I heard about it but was unaware that it was you.
Very good that you are informing everyone!
That rapid has changed in the last few years to where the current flows more to the right than it used to.
At high water even, most of the flow goes right into the sieve now!
That thing is chocked full of wood from time to time also. :shock:
At higher water the eddy on the right down close to the pour-over disappears and the right line is much tougher! :hammer:
I would say that at higher water levels the rating for this rapid is class III.
I have been thinking about warning people about the new hazard at Canyon Falls Rapid for some time now as I use the long pool below there for flat water practice often.
Everyone beware and the next time you see it at higher water check it out as you go by on the left, hopefully! :chicken:
This rapid is no place for a swim :!:
"wherever there's water"

Fish

Post by Fish » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:55 am

Class 2.95?

- Fish :)

iYak

Post by iYak » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:04 pm

Class 2, with class 6 consequenses...

Maybe there should be a new river rating system that includes the rapid difficulty and the risk factor. In this case it would be a 2 / 6.

Or maybe a 2 / 5+ (you might find a way out of that sieve down there)

Fish

Post by Fish » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:43 pm

You're a bit too late Rob - that was proposed (probably several times) as far back as the 80's at least. I remember reading about how there would be a new rating system that would be like that: 3-5, etc. But in the end, I think the old rating system with all its ambiguity is the best, and apparently most folks agree. Whitewater defies a numerical description, and it seems like a bad thing if people feel they can trust ratings to keep them safe, to make their decisions for them. Perhaps it's best if you read/hear "class 3" and you wonder "is this an easy 3 or a hard 3 or maybe even a 4 that this book/person is calling a 3? Maybe I'll scout..."

Don't rely on ratings. Or guidebooks. Or even your river guide. Gather all the info. you can, and then use your own eyes and your own judgment to have fun and be safe.

Class 5-3 boater,
Fish

Boofaholic
Name: joe cutrer

Post by Boofaholic » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:34 am

I use a system similar to Rob's suggestion. I think I got it off of Corrans old creekin vid Legends of the Falls. Basically I rate the difficulty of the line/move, the risk or penalty for if I screw it up, and I also factor in where Im at in relation to getting help if I botch the line/move.(ultimate consequence factor).It makes perfect sense. For instance, you might fire up the same drop in a park n huck setting as you walked in a wilderness/self support setting!With no help for miles and no way out but downriver you just cant risk the same type of injuries.Anyways I think regardless of what system is used,you should always at least look at the line and its consequences.If you think you can stick it and wont have to pay the piper then fire it up!If its not a risk you are willing to take and you cant see yourself stickin it then leave it for next time! If nothing else you'll style a higher % of rapids that way. :oops:However as Daniel D. once said, you only have 1 chance to run a rapid blind. :wink: :poke:
JOE C
http://teamgreensboatingblog.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Social Media