Little Maumelle Clean-Up - SATURDAY FEB 7TH

Post by Lupe » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:48 pm

UPDATE:
Pinnacle Mtn. State Park
Saturday, Feb. 7, 2009
9am - 12 noon

MORE DETAILS IN POSTS BELOW!

Hi all,

Back in late summer we did a pick up with the park dept at Pinnacle State Park, but we primarily concentrated on the Big Maumelle at that time. The Park would still very much like our assistance in tackling the trash along the Little Maumelle now that the summer aquatic vegetation has died back which will make accessing the areas where trash accumulates on the Little Maumelle easier to access.

The Park will announce and coordinate the pick up around a day when it seems we could get the most on-water volunteers...they are looking at January 24, February 7, 14 or 28 (all are Saturdays) as possible dates.

Ideally, I would love to get not just a contingent of canoe and kayak paddlers, but also a couple jon boats who could help out. We'd like to tackle the 4 mile stretch from Pinnacle Mt. State Park down to Burnett Road private boat ramp, but there's a lot of nooks and crannies and shoreline through there where trash collects, and there are also usually a few large trash items that will be unwieldy for the smaller boats. My feeling is that jon boat or two working as a team with some paddlers could make a good impact.

I would also like to either take some pictures of the trash that comes in from the little streams from West Little Rock, or maybe even see if a local reporter would want to come along to document the pick up. I'd love to see if we can use the opportunity to raise awareness about how trash on our streets and parking lots ends up in our waterways...

Right now I'm not picking a date, but would like to hear from folks who would be willing to help out, and any preferred dates. After I hopefully hear from some others, I'll work with the Park to finalize the date, time and game plan.

Please post or email or pm me (buttons below).

Thanks everyone!
Cheers,
Heather
Last edited by Lupe on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I've heard that into every life a little of it must fall,
but you'll never catch me complaining about too much of that southern rain.
~ Michael Timmins, Cowboy Junkies

Lupe
Name: Heather Huckeba

Re: Little Maumelle Clean-Up - volunteers?

Post by Lupe » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi all,

I wanted to add that if you are a whitewater boater and want to help, but maybe you don't have a good boat for this flatwater trash pick-up...never fear! The Park can provide some tandem canoes for us to use, and some other club members with extra flatwater boats can provide some loaners as well. So if you'd like to help, but weren't going to speak up because you didn't think you could be much help in your little playboat kayak...don't let that stop you! :D

Thanks

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:58 am

I'm tinkin' bout it...
But won't think very straight or very far ahead, until they get me off night shift. :hammer:
My jon boat really has no more capacity than a tandem canoe, but I could bring it.

With the right words, we could probably get Chester to help.

CHAINSAWS. WOMEN IN UNIFORMS. :lol:
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Chester

Post by Chester » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:32 am

Huh? CHAINSAWS. WOMEN IN UNIFORMS uhh, when? ok! :drool:

Lupe

Post by Lupe » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:00 pm

Good news, although I won't be able to confirm until tomorrow...but it looks like I have a way to give us an alternate put-in/take-out for the clean up. This will let separate "teams" head to two different areas of the river to concentrate clean up efforts. With the alternate put-in/take-out it also means no one will have to schlep lots of trash very far...it really will make the project a lot more manageable! (and no need for jon boats after all...)

I'm going to decide this week when to schedule the clean up day...if you haven't contacted me but are thinking you will help out, please post/email/pm me. Right now I think Feb 7 or 14 look to be the most likely date, but I really want to schedule for when YOU the volunteers can most likely lend a hand!

Cheers

Lupe

Re: Little Maumelle Clean-Up - SATURDAY FEB 7TH

Post by Lupe » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:23 pm

Okay, we're going to schedule the clean up on Saturday Feb 7th. I don't have a start/meet time yet...probably 9/10am or so, but I'll update that as we get closer.

I have identified the main "trash fields" along the Little Maumelle where either most of the trash seems to collect, or where larger trash items are located with GPS coordinates.

What we'll be able to do is have 2 teams of paddlers: one team will start at Pinnacle Mt. and cover about a 2 mile area down to a private take out that the Park can access. The Park will be able to provide shuttle from this take out back to the park after the clean up, and they will handle collecting all the bags of trash that are collected and deposited there.

The second team will be able to use a private alternate put in off Ranch Road, thanks to that local Neighborhood Association. From there, this team will cover about a 1 1/2 mile stretch of a branch off the Little Maumelle and the Little Maumelle proper (they will take out at same launch). This is a particularly trashed out area...we will get A LOT of bags of trash collected from this stretch...it REALLY needs a good clean up!

Remember, the park or other club members can provide extra boats if you want to help but need a more appropriate boat...but little boats can also be teamed with canoes to help in the collection.

If we can get a good group together of say 2 teams of 5-6 paddlers, this will go pretty quick and make a great difference! I hope to see a lot of you out there! Please let me know if you intend to come!

Thanks!

EDITED TO ADD:

COME OUT AND HELP GET RID OF SIGHTS LIKE THIS ALONG THE LITTLE MAUMELLE!

okraman
Name: Carl Dyer, Sr

Post by okraman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:58 pm

Lupe,

Depending on the weather, my wife and I would be interested in helping (at this point I don't see any scheduling conflicts). We participated in a cleanup a year and a half ago last September on the Maumelle. We have our own canoe. It is also possible we can convince another couple w/canoe to join in.

okraman

Lupe

Post by Lupe » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:16 am

Awesome! I hope you and your wife can come out, and your friends too!

I really think this is going to be a rewarding experience for those who can make it.

Check it out y'all, we're going to have some ww to paddle this weekend, so everyone get out and get ourselves a little moving water fix, and then next weekend come out and enjoy this Little Rock gem, and help get the waterway cleaned up! :D

PS Everyone should plan to head to Gadwell's after the clean up for HOT CHILI, GOOD BURGERS, AND COLD BEER! Oh yeah!

Lupe

Post by Lupe » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:32 pm

Alright, weather forecast is looking good!

Pinnacle Mtn. State Park
Saturday, Feb. 7, 2009
9am - 12 noon

Meet at Hwy 300 Boat Launch
(location is the launch at east end of the picnic area at south base of Pinnacle Mountain.)

We'll divide into 2 teams: one team will start at Pinnacle Mt while the other team will head to Ranch Blvd (off Cantrell), but everyone meet at Pinnacle Mt. to pick up supplies and to get your assignment. If you have GPS - bring it, or even better, email me - I can send you GPS coordinates of key trash areas we want to hit!!!

Remember, if you need to borrow a boat, I can arrange to have some rec kayaks and tandem canoes will also be available from the park...but let me know in advance!

If you can, plan to stay for lunch afterward at Gadwell's Grill...BUT, if you can only give a smaller amount of time, I can assign you to the Ranch Blvd section where you could help for as little or long as you can!

THANK YOU!

MStrobel

Post by MStrobel » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:44 pm

Lupe,
I plan to be there with my canoe and trolling motor.

Michael

Lupe

Post by Lupe » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:49 pm

Yay!

:clap:

Susan Tinker

Post by Susan Tinker » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:30 pm

I'm so sorry Heather, I can't make it. Ya'll have fun!

Susan Tinker

Liz Caldwell

Post by Liz Caldwell » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:34 am

Mike and I will be there.
Liz

Susan Tinker

Post by Susan Tinker » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:01 am

Hey Heather;
You are more than welcome to borrow a boat from me! Hope you have a great time and get lots cleaned up too! So sorry I can't make it!
Susan T

denergyo6

Post by denergyo6 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:55 am

I'll be there to help with canoe in hand.
Karl :D

Social Media