Bayou Chapter of ACC?

Open Discussion
Butch Crain

Bayou Chapter of ACC?

Post by Butch Crain » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:13 pm

I'm told that the board of directors may recognize any group of 15 or more members as a chapter if asked to do so in writing.

Any of you in Louisiana, Texas, or south Arkansas interested in forming a Bayou chapter, please post here or PM.

hdh
Name: Harlan

Re: Bayou Chapter of ACC?

Post by hdh » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:18 pm

I know we have 6-10+ Paddlers Here in Shreveport-Bossier....The ACC roster would be good place to start. I think its a good idea!!!

Harlan Hughes
Bossier City,la
Harlan Dickson Hughes.....If you fly with the buzzards at night, you got to soar with the eagles in the morning!!!!!!

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Post by RomanLA » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:10 pm

hdh wrote:I know we have 6-10+ Paddlers Here in Shreveport-Bossier....The ACC roster would be good place to start. I think its a good idea!!!
The BCOS roster would probably be a quick way to find your 15.
Last edited by RomanLA on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:13 pm

Good luck ladies and gents!

It worked for Oklahoma City and it can work you you all.

dave
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Butch Crain

Post by Butch Crain » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Not sure how it would be received, but why don't one of y'all post the invite on the BCOS message board.

I've been boycotting it until they get over that "you can't see what we're talking about or what trips we're planning on the message board unless you're a member" deal. Not the best way to recruit new members to BCOS.

CSH
ACC Member at Large
Name: Chris Handley

Post by CSH » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:56 pm

I'm in Lufkin, Texas and would be interested. I might even be able to make it up to Shreveport for a meeting a few times.

Chris Handley
Chris Handley

lbaker
Name: Leigh Baker

Post by lbaker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:01 pm

I'd be very interested!!!
Leigh in NE TX
Leigh Baker

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit."
Ed Abbey

Louiscov
Name: Louis Covington

Post by Louiscov » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:10 pm

I'm in if we do it & it'd be great to have a group to talk paddlin' with.

Louis Covington
Haughton, La.
"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Wind In the Willows

"I am haunted by waters." A River Runs Through It

louis covington

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:34 pm

Butch and Louis,

The first class I taught as a new' basic 'kayak instructor was to six most astute&fun lady students in the Bayou Chapter. If I were more computer savvy, I would surely post our class picture I have in my file. :)

Best Regards
Jim

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:36 pm

The Bayou Chapter of the Ozark Society is a great bunch of people who do more than just paddle. They do a lot of hiking, cycling and backpacking. Plus just hang out at someones place. You don't starve when you are with them.

I hold membership in both the ACC and OS even though there is an overlap in what they do. I was a member of the Bayou Chapter as well for several years. I have some very special friends in LA as a result.

So long as it did not undermine the BCOS (Bayou Chapter of the Ozark Society) I would say starting an ACC chapter might be a healthy thing.

BTW, the BCOS conducts a canoe school each spring on the Ouachita /Caddo rivers.
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

Renee H

Post by Renee H » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:47 am

Butch,

I think Adam Willard is working on this. I have sent him an email and left a phone msg, but I think it's in the works.

Richard,

I was a member of the Bayou Chapter Ozark Society and yes, they are a great group of people. They do stuff other than paddling, but I think the reason Adam was looking to form a Shreveport chapter of ACC is because there are several ACC members that are in the Shreveport, Monroe, Ruston, Texarkana and East TX area that don't have an affiliated chapter. Also, there are some paddlers in El Dorado and Magnolia and Camden that might be interested in attending meetings that are a little closer. Hopefully, they get this in this in the works soon.

Butch Crain

Post by Butch Crain » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:07 am

What about it Adam?

Should I delete this thread? Or keep it going so we know when we've got 15 people?

Also BCOS now has an open to the public Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4 ... 628&ref=mf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

courtesy of Rob Gaudet - thanks Rob.

Zach

Post by Zach » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:28 am

Seems they should be able to round up 15 without any trouble. I've seen them pull up at the Ocoee with that huge truck. It was like a clown car. 15 people might not have crawled out of that thing, but it was pretty close.

Dangerboy is down there too. If his boat goes down the river without him, does he and his boat count as two?

KAYAKN

Post by KAYAKN » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:12 am

Alright Zach now thats some funny chit!!! :lol: :lol: It would be a clown truck. Yes we had 14 1/2 paddlers get out de ride. The 1/2 is Spaz(Little Bro) Just setting here thinking Zach, i bet we did look like a bunch of clowns, if you had already found??? Oh never mind. :lol: :lol: That had to have been one of my best "TRIPS" out east. :lol: :lol:
On the chapter thing we would need to find our committee memebers. So who's it going to be???
Adam

Butch Crain

Post by Butch Crain » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:22 am

What will the committee members be responsible for and how many are needed?

Social Media