Bayou Chapter of ACC?

Open Discussion
mgood

Re: Bayou Chapter of ACC?

Post by mgood » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:31 am

I know three paddlers in Shreveport who'd be willing to join, including myself.

KAYAKN

Post by KAYAKN » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:41 am

You would need a;
Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary, and Treasurer to start with. As the chapter grew you would need a Clinic Chair, Conservation Chair and Publicity Chair. We would need to find a place to have monthly meetings, would we try to have clinics, roll class, outings and so on. If so we may need a Newsletter Editor to get the info out to everyone. Im sure im leaving out a few things but i think this would get the chapter started. All the members would need to found ASAP and get the info to the board meeting in Feb. to vote on it.
Adam

Lapaddld
Name: Diona Cost

Post by Lapaddld » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:47 am

I live in Bossier City and have been DYING for an ACC chapter down here! Heard through Andy Cheshier that is was a possibility. Hooray!!!!!!!!
Looks like we are finally going to get one!
:clap:

I am in!

Other Shreveport area folks to consider are Vernon Rainwater and his two bros Doug and Gary and their families........

Diona Cost

robkanraft

Post by robkanraft » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:20 pm

A Bayou Chapter could make for an interesting Rendezvous destination. Swamp Paddle School? Regional cook-offs...hmmm :D

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:06 pm

I can almost taste it,
Chicken Fried Steak
with
a side of shrimp gumbo

yum!
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Butch Crain

Post by Butch Crain » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:42 pm

Dave, I am to good eats what you are to paddling.

If we get it together, I'll be looking for a big ol' plastic TV tray (like the one Arthur has) to bring to meetings .

My count so far is 11 people interested.

KAYAKN

Post by KAYAKN » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:18 pm

For this to happen we need Board Members.

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Post by RomanLA » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:26 pm

I'm a little far south, but I guess this is as good as it gets. I can help out with bylaws, web design, or whatever over the internet. I'll be an ACA certified river instructor soon too.

Roman

KAYAKN

Post by KAYAKN » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:29 pm

I think we would use everything that is already in place with the Mother Chapter, wouldnt we??

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Post by RomanLA » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:43 pm

KAYAKN wrote:I think we would use everything that is already in place with the Mother Chapter, wouldnt we??
The ACC bylaws say that chapters shall have bylaws. I just made some for my club here that we could adapt. A facebook fan page would give us everything we need. I just set one of those up for my club also. I can make custom boxes for it as needed.

As far as meetings, I've found it pretty easy to find businesses willing to help out. For instance, I found a dive shop with a heated indoor pool. They let us use their classroom for meetings and then we can jump in the pool. I've also set up some club socials at bars and restaurants. They're usually willing to give you an area out of the way, if you need to have a meeting too.

Basically, it sounds like we just need to get a letter with 15+ member's names sent off asap. Then we setup a meeting to vote in the bylaws and officers/board members. I'm not sure which one comes first...kinda a chicken or the egg thing! lol

Oh yeah...the facebook page thing would eliminate the need for a newsletter. Anyone set as an adminstrator can post events to the calendar. You can send out event reminders to everyone via Facebook and/or email. Then they can RSVP whether they're a Facebook member or not. The event will show pictures of everyone that is attending too. Also, it has a message board, people can upload photos and videos, and you can blog trip reports (which we could submit for the ACC newsletter).
Last edited by RomanLA on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Butch Crain

Post by Butch Crain » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:50 pm

I'm not sure that we actually have to have the bylaws or the chapter board in place to get ACC approval for the new chapter.

Initially, I think all we have to do is present a letter with 15 signatures of ACC members with a brief statement of why we would like a new chapter.

I think we have enough people interested now to talk about drafting a letter and getting together to sign it. We could nominate officers at that meeting for a later vote, and then let our board work on the bylaws for approval later by the chapter members.

Lets start posting our reasons for wanting the new chapter and thinking about a tentative meeting time and place to sign the letter. I'm guessing some where in Bossier would be a good place - Good Eats Market on Airline comes to mind.

hdh
Name: Harlan

Post by hdh » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:54 pm

I think Rusty will make a good pres and Cory vice pres>>> :lol:

Harlan Hughes
boozier City,La
Harlan Dickson Hughes.....If you fly with the buzzards at night, you got to soar with the eagles in the morning!!!!!!

Lapaddld
Name: Diona Cost

Post by Lapaddld » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:28 pm

Harlan,

I posted the link on our http://www.locomtb.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website trying to generate some interest from the mountain bike club.............crossing my fingers and hope it helps.

Diona Cost

Minna Ulmer
Name: minna ulmer

Post by Minna Ulmer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:10 pm

Hey Adam,
Please count me in as one of the 15 you need. I had a great time at "Come paddle with us" last April. I also appreciate the special self rescue class you gave us and also my fun with yall on the Nantahala. I look forward to doing it all again this year too! Minna

lbaker
Name: Leigh Baker

Post by lbaker » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:09 am

Ok, I'm thinkin' major crawfish boil for the inauguration of our new chapter :lol:
Actually just have crawfish on my brain, as it's getting to be that time of the year :D
Leigh
Leigh Baker

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit."
Ed Abbey

Social Media