Food for Thought

Open Discussion

mgood

Food for Thought

Post by mgood » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:00 pm

I was just surfing the web and came up with an idea that can only benefit the ACC and this message board and would only take a few seconds,. I think that adding an ACC group to facebook could seriously get paddling and safety information across to college and high school students. After talking to lot of guys my age, the two biggest drawbacks to getting started in boating is insufficient knowledge of rivers (access, water level) and an attitude of not wanting to go without an experienced boater. I see more and more college-aged guys (and girls) getting involved in whitewater every year- this may not be the largest incoming age group to the sport, but it definitely would fall into a close second. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the ACC and this forum are mainly dedicated to providing information and connecting boaters- something that can be extended to facebook.

I'm not talking about any attempt to transfer this great forum over to that website. If nothing more, I think that at least a group name and a link to ACC or Ozark creek information summary would be sufficient. If you post enough links online, eventually someone will get there.

I'm posting this because I don't feel like I have the authority to make the group- I'm going to leave that up to admins or long-time ACC members. Registration to facebook is free and only takes a few seconds, and is an easy way to spread the word.

Some may ask- why facebook and not something like myspace? Well, to be honest, if you want to spread the word on that website, then more power to you, but I don't have an account on myspace and I don't plan on it. But some may consider posting segments of Arkayakansas on youtube with a few links. Once again, just to get word out.

Thoughts?

Renee H

Re: Food for Thought

Post by Renee H » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:44 pm

There's several paddlers with facebook accounts. Also, there is group that I'm a member of related to Buffalo River, where messages and updates about flows are sent to the members. I think this is a good idea, but someone would have to be responsible for setting it up and maintaining it. I guess you'd have to solicit a volunteer for it.

stormcrow
Name: LARAMY RIDLEY

Post by stormcrow » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:14 pm

I don't have a Facebook but I do have a Myspace and agree with the general idea. I have American Whitewater, NOC, Ouachita Outdoor Outfitters, and many fellow paddlers as "friends" on my page. Too me it would be easier to share photo's, receive updates, and post trips. Anybody that uses either of these "social networking" sites realizes the ease of use they have.

It would take a volunteer to set it up and then maybe just have a log in that everyone could use. I really don't see this happening though due to what all could end up being posted by any one individual that would in turn represent an entire organization. That and the fact that NOTHING seems too small to nit pick about on the board i.e., see the use your real name thread. Until then, as I've done, you can add a link to your Myspace or Facebook for others to jump to from the ACC board. And yes it is my real name.

Laramy
Not all who wander are lost

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Post by RomanLA » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:47 am

I set up a web site fan page at...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Arkansas- ... 8342937836

p.s. I disabled the blog and message board, so it wouldn't conflict with the forums.

stormcrow

Post by stormcrow » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:34 am

I broke down and created a facebook as well. The page looks good Roman.

mgood

Post by mgood » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:04 am

When I first joined on Sat, it went from 6 people to 43 today. Slight growth i'd say

Fish

Post by Fish » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:35 pm

Facebook is social networking crack. Beware!

The FB group will give us a great way to stay in touch... I know the message board already does that, but FB is just a different medium - it does add something to the mix. Thanks for the idea and for the implementation!

- Fish

Gordon Kumpuris
ACC Communications

Post by Gordon Kumpuris » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:16 pm

I discovdered f.b. about a month ago and I'm addicted to it like crack alright. It's great for those who are a little self absorbed which defines about all kayakers.
Skoboten!

Renee H

Post by Renee H » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:33 am

While I like Facebook, I still really enjoy reading stories and stuff on this message board. Also, they have not blocked ACC website at work :)

Graham

Post by Graham » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:25 pm

Really good idea. Joined today.

stormcrow

Post by stormcrow » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:52 pm

Renee- Google Kproxy at work. It should let you bypass your work filter on the internet. That's what I have to do. I can't even check ozarkpages.com from my work. Nazi's.

turboturtle

Post by turboturtle » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:56 pm

Dang Nazi's! I'm sure glad I work at a institute of higher learning. They block nothing unless you go to someplace really severely screwed-up. Know what I mean?
The idea of a Facebook to attract potential paddlers and new members is pretty cool. I'm going to check Romans page and see just what the draws like. Net Paddlers, Lol
Ten Thousand RPM's One Mile an Hour!

"Get a little every time you go"- Cowper

Social Media