Lost Paddler on Richland

Open Discussion
Lupe
Name: Heather Huckeba

Re: Lost Paddler on Richland

Post by Lupe » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:34 pm

In the photo you posted, is the biggest danger the completely upstream side of the rock, or is there also danger on the side of the rock that is facing you in the picture? It looks like the water is working from river right to river left there, so it's also going into the rock after it goes over that little 1 to 2 foot drop. Are you seeing folks getting pinned up above, or to the side?

From the picture, the up above looks the worst, but I just want to match that to what you all are seeing in person...

Hope my question make sense....

Thanks
I've heard that into every life a little of it must fall,
but you'll never catch me complaining about too much of that southern rain.
~ Michael Timmins, Cowboy Junkies

Trismegistus
Name: John

Post by Trismegistus » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:51 pm

Made sense to me...but alas that not be sayin' much...

But I assume there is a sieve under the rock midstream and the goal of the cautious paddler is to avoid being pinned on the upstream side of this mid-stream rock as some water (or boats, legs and arms) may get funneled into a sieve under this rock?

And I can't recall any significant rapids upstream of the Falls that made me pucker -- thus the next question -- where is the Rock Garden in relation to the Falls?

And lastly -- thanks for post Cowper. Tis' the type of information that makes the message board such a useful place to visit.

Be safe out there!

bryanpin

Post by bryanpin » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:18 pm

roadblock is upstream just a small rapid or two of crack in the rock. so it's upstream a good bit of the falls. Rock Garden rapid is obviously a boulder garden that has solid but not steep gradient for 30-40 yards or so, the the creek is turned left 90 degrees by the large bluff wall coming in. roadblock was formed by a big chunk coming off this wall. I've seen several go into the big ugly rock midstream, but both were because of either lack of information from the guide, or just panic. either way it's an easy move if you just paddle with purpose to either the rocky left side or hit the far right slot next to the bluff wall and slide down there. Cowper is dead on, it's a must make move, but not a hard one for a calm confident boater.

Mike and I did run a line on Monday (low 3's) that entered between two small rocks directly in front of the Roadblock rock itself. With some left momentum you can slide in left of a "square" looking rock and slide through avoiding the nastiness to the left of the big rock. I'd only consider this myself at the lower levels.
Bryan

RandyJ
Name: Randy Jackson

Post by RandyJ » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:29 pm

Trismegistus wrote:But I assume there is a sieve under the rock midstream and the goal of the cautious paddler is to avoid being pinned on the upstream side of this mid-stream rock as some water (or boats, legs and arms) may get funneled into a sieve under this rock?
Exactly. I eddied out below this rock yesterday. Lots of water coming out from under it, and quite a bit of wood jammed up under there. The upstream edge of this rock is trashy, but it's easy to recognize as you approach. Just don't get careless and drift in. Easy routes either side.
Let there be rain!

jclaudii
Name: Jason N

Post by jclaudii » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:05 pm

i've looked all over the site, has the "lost paddler" posted his story yet?

Renee H

Post by Renee H » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:53 pm

No, he probably won't because I don't think he uses the message board.

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:03 pm

I can't tell it with flair, because I don't know enough details and 50% of it is second hand; the 50% gathered from roadside conversations I overhead when he rejoined his friends the next morning and was telling his tales. But here is a summary of what I believe happened:
At Roadblock, he and his boat flushed into the rock, and pinned. He and the boat came out, his paddle never reappeared. He made the decision to walk out, carrying/dragging his boat. I heard he had dry clothes. It was relatively warm that day, but night temperatures probably dipped into the 20's. He had some type of fire starting equipment, but I don't know if it was a Bic lighter, matches, or something else. He hiked out on River right side, but I don't know anything about his exact route except that I believe it started by getting up on the ridges, not by following the creek channel. Near or shortly after dark, he started a fire and hunkered down for the night. Everything was damp, and initially the fire wouldn't start, but by finding some leaves up in the low branches, he finally managed to get something going which made the night bearable, but not comfortable. The next morning, he resumed his walk out, and was met along a trail by some locals who were intimately familiar with the area and had agreed to help search on horseback. By 9 AM, I got a phone call from Dale saying all was well; by about 10 AM, his boat was loaded on the car and he was looking a bit tired and obviously ready for a hot shower and some sleep, but was really in great shape for having spent an unscheduled night in the woods at sub-freezing temperatures.

Anyone who needs to correct or add to any of the above, go ahead, I'll appreciate the assist.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Prairie Tater
Name: Terry Prater

Post by Prairie Tater » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:07 pm

Am glad to see these kind of stories end happily. Walking out of a river gorge with your gear is a unique and humbling experience. Especially if you are by yourself. I've done it once, and I can tell you that I saw the sport of paddling in a whole new light. However, I actually believe it was good for me. I realized my limitations and figured out that you don't just jump on a creek without knowing some things about it. I think everyone should have to do it at least one time. Nothin' like some good ol' alone time in the woods to wake up your senses. :wink:

Prater
"Politicians and diapers need to be changed regularly, usually for the same reason." Mark Twain

hellbender

Post by hellbender » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:57 pm

ya got it about right cowper.he used the gaskets from his drypants for the fire,got scared crapless from a female deer talking in his ear,saw manbearpig,but more scared of the cats around richland though,and cold.he can tell the story alot better and make ya laugh better than anyone can.he feels real bad for dragging us out, but we would do it for any of our crew,and so would he.sooo thats about it,end of story and ready to move on. jodie b
Recreation OVER Conservation?

jermdog

Post by jermdog » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:56 pm

Nice
Rokken Like Dokken

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:45 am

Was river-right the best path to take back to the put-in? It would be helpful if we take this incident and discuss this and educate ourselves to best choice. I had a similar concern a couple of years ago when a paddler had an issue with his heart and wondered then which way was best to get a person out and back to the put-in. JB and I were discussing this and we both think that river-left (north side) would have been better. I also think that following the river itself by paddling the pools upstream and portaging/bushwhacking around the rapids would have been better than hiking up the hills on river-right and finding/following the hiker trail.

JB says that from the Big Eddy pool you can get back out to the shuttle road on the north side. Big Eddy is where you are finally getting past the upper willow jungles and into the first longer shoals, you come to a BIG eddy with a kind of field on the left where it looks like an old homestead on the left and the eddy has those big swirly eddylines on the right side of the pool....above the initial gorge rapids. You take out on the river-left (north) side at the field and JB says there is an old logging road back out to the gravel road. This wouldn't have been too far from where the Road Block rapid is located and as I said above, you can bushwhack and pool hop back upstream to get to that spot. Pool hopping isn't as bad as it sounds and prolly not as straineous (spl?) as climbing up a large mountain.....plus you get to keep the river in sight and not get lost.

Your thoughts?.......as this really needs to be resolved.

Zach

Post by Zach » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:56 am

From below Crack I hiked out on river left last year (missed the group and tried to catch up, decided I had gone far enough alone).

From just above crack you can follow the gentle ridge on river left till you hit a trail/old road. The road basically takes you back to the putin. Only problem is that the road crosses the creek a few times, so you have to get back in your boat and ferry across. If you've got your boat this is pretty easy, but swimming or wading in the dark or cold wouldn't be much fun (especially without a drysuit). Not sure what the best way out is if not dragging a boat and not wanting to get wet.

Pretty easy double track to follow most of the way, probably doable at night if you have a headlamp.

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:19 am

Zack.....good information. Did that old road take you to the Big Eddy I was talking about? JB says there is an old road back out to the main gravel shuttle road on the north side from that field. Seems that if you could find that field and road, you wouln't have to criss-cross the creek. But, crossing the creek should be a piece of cake if you have your boat.

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:27 am

Time, once again, for the "Hiker's Guide to Richland Creek"? MJ? :poke:

Terry, can't hardly imagine hiking out of a gorge dragging a canoe. At least you might be able to use it for shelter or the bags to sleep on.

How practical are break-down spare paddles?

Zach

Post by Zach » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:31 am

Not sure exactly what homestead I saw, after crossing over to the river right side then back to river left, I did see an old cabin/homestead. Not long after that the road started heading away from the river and came out a few hundred yards from the parking for the putin. But the homestead I saw was pretty far up towards the putin.

Nice thing about either the old road/trail or the river is you'll have a pretty good idea where you are at all times. From looking at the map, could be a good long ways over some rough terrain if heading straight for the main roads.

Social Media