Jones Center Roll Sessions (Saturdays in Springdale)

Open Discussion
dinan

Jones Center Roll Sessions (Saturdays in Springdale)

Post by dinan » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:53 am

Roll Sessions are scheduled for the following Saturdays at the Jones Center in Springdale, AR.

February 21st and 28th.
March 7th <---- New Date :clap:

All sessions are from 9:00am-11:30am.

Bring your boats in from the South Entrance its the door closest to the Airport. Rinse off your boat before putting it in the pool.

For directions:
http://www.jonesnet.org/contactus.html

Check the message board for updates. IF one of the sessions are canceled because of weather it will posted there.

If you can come and help teach let me know. Thanks.

David Dinan
david1dinan"at"gmail.com
Last edited by dinan on Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

paddledog

Re: Jones Center Roll Sessions

Post by paddledog » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:48 pm

Is this going to be an organized teaching session?
I realize there will be a number of people who show up
just to practice their established rolls.
But some of the folks who show to learn have trouble
hooking up with those who can teach.
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fish

Post by Fish » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:48 pm

No organized or paid instruction, but there are always folks there who will help someone learn on an informal basis. Usually boats are available to try out too. Come on out and join us there!

-Fish

paddledog

Post by paddledog » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:44 pm

I realize there are people there to help,
But when was the last time anyone actually mentioned it to the participants?
Think what it would be like to show up and nobody says a word, just gets in and start rolling.
What would you do?
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dinan

Post by dinan » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:52 pm

The past sessions I've been to we had at least 2 people show up to help teach. I think Eric taught about all of the sessions last year. I think all togetter we had about 4-6 new people learn their roll. When we see new people show up most of the senior club members do a good job of welcoming them and giving them the overview of how the roll session works. At least that has been my perception.

The biggest issues with doing a formal class is that its hard to get boaters to commit to several saturdays in a row. So far I've had zero people tell me they would be willing to help teach :wink: . Untill I get a couple of commitments from people to teach I can't garuntee their will be instructors there. If you can teach even for just one saturday let me know.

If your interested in formal instruction let me know.
david1dinan"at"gmail.com
replace the "at" with @

dinan

Post by dinan » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:05 am

Roll sessions are going to start soon. The start time of the roll session has been moved from 8:30 to 9:00. Feel free to get their a little early to unload your gear we just can't get into the pool untill 9:00.

If you can help teach let me know.

justin.payne

Post by justin.payne » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:41 am

I went last year with no idea how to roll. By the second or third day I did my first roll. Once you get it down that first time, very little instruction is needed. And with practice you will be able to get it every time. I will be there, and am willing to teach what I know. Ill be in a Pyranha S6F 193.

Victor Caballeros

Post by Victor Caballeros » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:41 pm

I'll be there for the whole time. I will try to do what I can to help out! I'm bringing two boats with gear to use
egestatem semper in angaria

dwilke02
Name: Derrick Wilkerson

Post by dwilke02 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:33 pm

what ages are allowed?

dinan

Post by dinan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:15 pm

Any ages are welcome. Several boaters have used pools sessions to introduce their kids to paddleing. I'm planning on doing it once my kids get a little older. If their not good swimmers I would recommend wearing a lifejacket.

Eric Esche
Name: Eric Esche

Post by Eric Esche » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:16 pm

First roll session of 2009 for the NW chapter is this Saturday, so I thought I might remind folks to rinse out their boats today or tomorrow while it is still warm outside, and while they are at it, to rinse off/out their wetsuit booties if they were like mine and maybe a tad muddy or sandy from their last river trip's takeout. Should be warmer than Saturday morning, and could get you in the building faster if your boat is already clean.

Another thing I encourage both participants and assistants to do is TRIM YOUR NAILS. I got scratched maybe 6 times last year in 9 sessions. No one ever means to do it, but things happen when you have folks upside down and disoriented for their first times. Just not one of those things you normally do before you run a river. If you want to wear your neoprene gloves or mittens, this works too.

At this point I still don't know whether or not I will be able to come. Having some problem with a "dipped" disc (C6) and I have been on meds since Monday's visit to see my doctor. Have stuff loaded, or staged to go, but I may be a no show, or just there for moral support. Bad enough for now that I told folks on the Buffalo trip there was no way for me to go and campout on river this weekend. Doctor and Susan agreed on that choice.

More than once last year, folks showed up minus some gear that they sort of wanted to use. If I had it with me, and in most cases I did) I loaned it freely, but some things like sprayskirts are not always interchangable so here's a checklist to let those who are new or (forgetful like I am) get in the swing of things. Even with a checklist I STILL forget stuff, like Susan's sprayskirt for the Kings river trip.

Roll Session Checklist:

Shortie wetsuit -yes, the pool is heated, BUT if you spend enough time in the water you may be more comfortable in one, and if you normally wear one on the river, your boat might fit better with one on. I get chilled easily, so I wear mine in the pool.

Swimsuit - You would thing folks would remember this, but I loaned out a spare pair of my trunks 4 times last year.

Nose plugs - not required, but most beginners learn faster when not stressed out by having water go up their nose, and are more comfortable learning how to hang in there with nose plugs on. I started out last year with 6 pair of Smiley's, and am down to three pair. At $7 a pop this gets expensive.

Goggles - No, you don't normally wear them on the river, but they sometimes help beginners be more comfortable while learning so I usually bring a set ot two.

Boat
Sprayskirt
Paddle
Sponges (also rinsed out)
Helmet (not required in the pool, but a good idea)
Lifejacket (not required in the pool, but you paddle with one on in the river, and they do affect your floatation and how you move, so it is better to wear one when practicing)

Crockies - Only if you wear your glasses in the water

Rubberbands - My hair isn't long enough to need them anymore, but some folks like to tie their hair back when in a pool, and I gave away some about half the sessions.

Wetsuit booties (not required in the pool, but you wear them on the river and you might be surprised at how sharp your foot pegs or someone else's are if you borrow a boat and you aren't wearing them. Also less likely to slip and fall on the tile around the pool if you wear them)

DRY TOWELS - NOT required, but I brought two with me last year, and loaned out one or both almost every session.

My checklist also includes dry clothes, DRY TOWELS, markers, whistle, gloves, first aid kit (it got used for bandaids, tylenol, and aspirin more than a few times last year) and this time my new camera, charged up and with a memory card. Susan got me a Pentax Optio W-30 for christmas.

If I show up and am not needed in the water, I might take photos and/or movies. I could upload them to webshots if you want to see them or tell your family and friends where to see them. Hard to take a picture of your self.

We sometimes go out to eat after a roll session. Great way to extend time being with friends, and you may find you've worked up an appetite.

Hope to see you there.

Eric Esche

Besides the folks who have volunteered to assist (2 so far), it wouldn't hurt if we also had those who are planning on showing up to learn post a note here so we have an idea of how many would like some help. We had 6 assistants at one of our last sessions last year and they were all busy at the same time. We counted 30 people in the pool at that session.

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:12 am

I think Steve is trying to make a good point, based on what I've seen at Little Rock sessions. We are all willing to help the new folks, but it is still possible for two people to have completely different perceptions of an interaction. If it is fifteen or twenty minutes before someone first offers to help the new guy (or girl), then during that first fifteen minutes, it can be very uncomfortable; like sitting down in a resturant and then the server never even comes by to say "I'll be back in just a minute". It doesn't take but about 3 minutes before we all begin wondering if anyone even knows we're there, or cares, and that often determines our mood for the next hour.

We can all put our best foot forward if we say something to anyone we don't recognize in those first few minutes. My most common line goes something like: "Hey, I'm going to go practice myself for a few minutes, but after that, if you want someone to spot you or help you get started on learning to roll, I'd be happy to help."

It sounds to me like several of you are already doing this; but if the "regulars" aren't there, then it would be great if whoever is there remembers to step up, make early contact and extend that helping hand to the newbies.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

dinan

Re: Jones Center Roll Sessions (Saturdays in Springdale)

Post by dinan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:33 pm

We have at least 4 voluteers confirmed for tommorow. I'll have to miss this one due my twins birthday. I'll be at the next one.

Fish

Post by Fish » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:06 pm

I agree - we always try to let new folks know what's going on, and offer to share boats and advice. We should have 4 or 5 folks helping tomorrow - thanks to all who volunteer their time to make these sessions really valuable for beginning boaters!

See you there,
Fish

dwilke02
Name: Derrick Wilkerson

Post by dwilke02 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:58 pm

hi. me and my friend will be coming to the Jones Center Tomorrow. we both have never rolled one but would like to learn. thanks

Social Media