Free Frights and Food in Winslow!

Open Discussion
Fish

Free Frights and Food in Winslow!

Post by Fish » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:36 pm

Just got the stuff for my costume... it's gonna be good! I've talked to a bunch of folks who are coming out in costume too. We will have a vote and prize for the best costume this year - I swear. The blow-log committee has located a prime log and we are in the process of harvesting it. Hairspray cans are loaded. We're set for takeoff.

See you there on Saturday night!

- Fish

Link to details and directions: http://www.arkansascanoeclub.com/mb/vie ... =1&t=10364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OzarkTom
ACC Education Chair

Re: Free Frights and Food in Winslow!

Post by OzarkTom » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:48 pm

Hairspray??? Fish, I just can't see you with "big hair..." Of course, we could give some to Jeremy to go with his costume from last year! Anyway, it looks like we've got folks from Dustbowl as well as Central coming to the party so lets show them how we do things up in this corner of the state.

See you all this Saturday night,

Tom
Tom Burroughs
Director,
Ozark Safety and Rescue Educators/
Clear Creek Paddlesports
SwiftwaterRescue@gmail.com

Fish

Post by Fish » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:05 am

Who all's planning on coming? Trying to get a burger count - not sure I'll have enough to feed the Central Chapter folks. :) NW Chapter? Central? River Valley? Dustbowl? How do I start one of them poll thingies? :-)

- Fish

A Savage spanke

Post by A Savage spanke » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:25 am

I'll probably be there, but I'm going to the game first.
It could be worse, it could stop raining
call to paddle 479.518.0017

Eric Esche
Name: Eric Esche

Post by Eric Esche » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:57 pm

I'll be there. I'll help with the cooking if you want me to, and bring my tongs and utensils. I'll be camping out. I don't have a blow log yet, but got a few things to put in one. Will also bring some stakes, wire, long screws, and a driver for a stabilization kit. May show up early to help set things up and start up a hydration station, strictly as a matter of quality control assurance you know, and ready the fire pit. Let me know if you want me to bring a table or two like last year and this spring or anything else.

Eric

OzarkTom
ACC Education Chair

Post by OzarkTom » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:21 pm

Eric, definitely bring the tables!

Tomorrows rain should dampen the woods down enough to keep ember stompin' to a minimum...
Tom Burroughs
Director,
Clear Creek Paddlesports

Ryan Center
Name: ozarkpaddler

Post by Ryan Center » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:18 pm

I will probably be picking up the blowlogs tomorrow if it ain't to wet to get to them. Can't wait until Saturday.
See yall there!

OzarkTom
ACC Education Chair

Post by OzarkTom » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:35 am

UPDATE :D

Last night Ryan dropped off two of the largest blow logs I've ever seen..... We're going to need several strong folks just to stand them up!

Also just a reminder, same as always, pancake breakfast will be served for everyone that camps out.

Tom
Tom Burroughs
Director,
Clear Creek Paddlesports

Fish

Post by Fish » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:50 am

Don't forget your cameras. This is gonna be good. :)

See y'all soon.

- Fish

Ryan Center

Post by Ryan Center » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:08 pm

The lowest turn out of people we have had at our Halloween party, but by far the best pyrotectics yet. Thanks for all that came out and the NW Chapter didn't represent very well. There was more Central Chapter folks there than us. Thanks for coming out.
As far as the Halloween Costume Contest, Shannon won the competition hands down.
The highlights of the night and into the early morning were, massive blow logs, lots of very loud explosions, Shannon's Costume, dog fight, shooting train with potato gun, and having county mounties come and find out what the "bomb explosions" where that were called in. "Man those were some loud potato guns." :lol:

Scroatch or somebody, would you post some pictures and video?

Eric Esche
Name: Eric Esche

Post by Eric Esche » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:50 pm

We had a great time. Thank you's to Tom and Stephanie Burroughs for having us over and everything, to Ryan and any who helped him gather 3 Very large blow logs (Ryan, that 8 foot blow log was really impressive, and you kept giving us one grand finale after another all evening. You really out did yourself), to Fish for getting all the food there, and bringing Sophie, and to everyone there for having a great time. Thanks also to Steve for his giving us an excuse for the sheriff's department (it must have been the potatoe gun those folks heard). Party went on way past when I went to bed the second time at 1:30 AM and folks went hiking to the trestle and other locations (while the local sheriffs department visited leaving Tom there by himself to explain what was going on). Actually Zach was there, but he was busy trying not to look as if he planned on driving that night. Heard some folks say this morning that they were just getting to bed at 5:30AM and we both heard the neighbor's rooster crowing at 5AM sharp. By my count of those who came and left and those who stayed, we had at least 45 folks there at some point, with a stay over crowd of 15-20. Not bad, but we had prepared for a lot of folks who said they were coming. And very generous of the Burroughs to host us when you consider Tom is leaving tomorrow on his canyon trip and couldn't really pack until today. Thank you Stephanie also for sharing this weekend with us.

Next year we will pull down all the signs on how to get there before we light the blow logs. Homeland security can find us with airplanes and satillites if they want to, but why give them banners showing them the way? Bet we went through a dozen or more propane tanks, and even more hairspray, carb starter, spraypaint, and foam it cans. Best show I have ever seen. We righted one log 4 times before it finally blew apart. And after the last log blew we cratered the fire pit a few times thanks to Ryans secret stash of propane and his bravery. I also need to bring a bag of potaoes for Steve next year and an extra bottle of gas for his Potatoe gun. Awsome! Think we have learned to go with 3 rock supports instead of trying to use cinderblocks.

Stephanie and Tom cooked us a fantastic breakfast this morning - big tray of biscuits, fresh apple butter and real butter, fresh stewed Granny Smith apples, German pancakes with raspberry jam and powdered sugar (a delicious sort of fallen souffle'), blueberry pancakes, a whole big box of sausage patties, continuous pots of really great coffees, hot chocolate, spiced cider, and tea - just what folks who have been up all night needed. Breakfast lasted nearly 3 hours, as folks straggled in all morning, but it took us nearly that long to cook all that food.

Anyway, thanks again to all, and looking forward to next year's party.

Eric

Ryan Center

Post by Ryan Center » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:22 pm

[quote=" (Ryan, that 8 foot blow log was really impressive, and you kept giving us one grand finale after another all evening. You really out did yourself),
[/quote]
Just to get the facts straight, it was 9 and a half feet tall. First time I had to use a ladder to load the festivities.
Thanks Eric for all your help too.

Fish

Post by Fish » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:31 pm

Not sure how we can ever outdo this one. Even lured a county sheriff way out of donut range to investigate what some neighbors thought might be Armageddon. I guess our goal next year will have to be to raise Homeland Security's color level from yellow to orange. :shock:

An unforgettable evening.

- Fish

ARzach

Post by ARzach » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:08 pm

Fish wrote: An unforgettable evening.

- Fish
Fishy,

That is not entirely true, the wild turkeys in the area may have enticed me into forgetting a few of the finer details of the evening :beer: .....

The blow-log was schaweeeet though! I do however wonder if I'll be able to enjoy any future blow-logs that aren't as impressively ginormous :crazy: ...

Thanks to our fabulous hosts as well as the folks who orchestrated the great flaming beast! :clap:

Maybe not as much thanks to the fella freely giving out the wild turkey :drool:

--Zach
Smile, summer run-off is coming!!!

Gery
Name: gery

Post by Gery » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:37 pm

:beer: :hammer: That was some of the best fireworks ever! The Eighties Ladies took me back to my happy place when my waist was thin and my hair was full :D My head hurt so bad Sunday morning I almost tried to camp til Monday, the turkey nipped me just as hard as it did zach :crazy: All in all, it was an epic adventure that I cant wait to top next year. Thanks Folks for having us all out and making it such a success! By the way, has anyone seen my bone? :lol:
Gery

Social Media