Current River Trip Report

Recreational and touring boaters
Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Current River Trip Report

Post by Deuce » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:36 pm

A handful of central Arkies will be hitting the road around 4:00 a.m. on Saturday, Febrary 16 to head to the Current. Our flotilla will include canoes, kayaks, at least one raft and a big dog. This will be a laid back trip, so hard core mile coverin' paddlers are welcome but should consider themselves forewarned. I'll post details as they emerge.
Last edited by Deuce on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Richard

Re: Current River Presidents' Day Weekend

Post by Richard » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:31 am

:clap:
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

Deuce
ACC President

Re: Current River Presidents' Day Weekend

Post by Deuce » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:34 am

Will this be the time I finally meet the elusive Richard??????????? :shh:
You come too.
Robert Frost

Deuce
ACC President

Re: Current River Trip NOW WITH A KINDA SORTA PLAN

Post by Deuce » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:53 am

First the disclaimer: Consensus seems to be cold weather is okay, but cold wet weather is a deal breaker. I'm down with that. I have plenty of rain gear, but five hours is too far to drive for three days of wet gear and wet firewood.

Now that that's out of the way, here is the current :ROFL: plan. Keep in mind it could change over the next week and a half. We will leave central Arkansas around 4:00 a.m. Saturday, February 16. We'll drop a vehicle (or more, depending on the size of the central Arkansas contingent) at Round Spring on the way to Cedargrove. For anyone coming from parts elsewhere that should put us at Cedargrove around 10:00. I know of at least one raft in the flotilla, so by the time we're rigged and ready to launch it will be 11:00. If there are those who want to go ahead and shove off before then that's cool as long as we meet up first. We wouldn't want the advance party to get too far ahead.

There will be some paddlers who will only join us during the day which should work out fine. I understand there are some good campsites around Akers, so we can plan on stopping in that area the first night. That will give us about seven miles on day one and will provide the day paddlers with a convenient takeout. On day two we'll shoot for a campsite below Pulltite. That will leave us with seven or eight miles for the final day and will accomodate those pesky day paddlers. On day three we'll take out at Round Spring and leave a derigging crew there while others head to Cedargrove to retrieve the truck.

Here are some thoughts regarding campsite logistics.
Grub: I don't think group meals will work too well under the circumstances, and by group meals I mean one or two people procuring and cooking for the group. I've done that plenty of times and don't mind it, but this time I don't wanna. We can do potluck dinners and every family/individual/mutt for him/herself at breakfast and lunch, or we can do every.....self at all meals, or we can do something else I'm not thinking of. Speak up and tell me your thoughts. My floating buddy (Mark) and I will likely bring a four burner stove, table(s), water pot (percolator with no guts), cooking utensils, at least two DOs, charcoal and chimney, a grill, and other kitchen stuff. All of this will be fair game as available. I won't have extra water as I only carry enough for drinking during the day and boil river water for coffee and cooking.
Everything Else: I'm sure this doesn't bear mentioning, but........... Bring your own shelter, sleeping gear, TP, etc. In addition to the aforementioned kitchen items Mark and I will bring a shovel, gloves and wood processing tools.

This is the plan I think makes the most sense, but that doesn't mean someone else can't chime in with other ideas. Unfortunately given the circumstances I am resolved that a longer float just isn't in the cards this time, so if that's something some of you want to pursue just keep in mind the party will shrink below Round Spring. That said, I believe some folks who frequent the Pnet message board but not this one are considering some additional river time, so if you're interested I'll be glad to put you in touch. Let's hope the weather cooperates. :crossed:
You come too.
Robert Frost

fzburk
ArkMoTenn Chapter President
Name: Mark

Post by fzburk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:14 pm

Is this paddle still in the planning?

I'm interested, but not familiar with the area.

Any beta would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Mark
SYOTW

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:27 pm

Hi Mark. The trip is still on. The Current is pretty well all class I but I'll confess I haven't paddled this section. It's a beautiful Ozark stream that has good flow because it's fed by large springs. Really neat river. The section we're floating is about 26 miles. We plan to launch late Saturday morning and take out early Monday afternoon. We'd love for you to join us. If memory serves you're in Jonesboogie so the best bet would probably be for you to meet us in Hardy, but we can iron all that out if you decide to go. What else can I tell you?
You come too.
Robert Frost

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:16 am

Deuce,

Clan Crawford paddled Akers' Ferry to Pulltite last spring. Good flow with a few easy shoals. Be sure to explore Cave Spring, it's on the left about 1/2 way (5 mi. I think) between Akers' and Pulltite. You can paddle right into it from the river. Really cool place. Good scenery all along this section. Wish we could join you but, Felicia's Doc (carpal tunnel surgery in Dec.) says wait until March to paddle. Want to hear a trip report about the section above Akers' when y'all get back.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:19 am

Thanks Chris. Sorry you guys can't make this one, but I'll give you a raincheck. Little Deuce is itching to get out there this spring so I hope to make a habit of this.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Just checking in one last time. We plan to meet at Round Spring around 9:30 tomorrow morning to set shuttle. Mark (or anyone else), if you decide you're able to join us please call me at five0195one8six3five and we'll get it all squared away. I'm ready! :canoe:
You come too.
Robert Frost

Al Donaldson

Post by Al Donaldson » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:57 pm

All:

Luke should have stories galore, regarding:

1) Items left behind;
2) Equipment manufactured on the river;
3) Manufactured equipment sliding into the river (never to be seen again);
4) Newly manufactured replacement equipment involving native woody plants; and
5) General raft and canoe behavior in a 20 mph + headwind.

What an epic tale will be told!

Go, Luke!

Regards,

al, ana. bob and carol ( Iowa and Pennsylvania semi-participants )
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Ave.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
alandonaldson@cfu.net
(319) 277-3194

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:17 am

Hey, thanks for warmin' 'em up, Al! I know the real reason you float with me is the incomparable entertainment value I provide. In case anyone is wondering, serviceable oars can be manufactured using frame rails, livery paddles, cam straps and Gorilla tape. However, I can verify first hand that said serviceable oars do not, I repeat NOT, float. More on that later. First, the cast: Deuce in his daughter's purple Mad River Explorer, new friends Kinneth and Trenton Wallace in their newly acquired Arkota, Mark Seabaugh (my main mostest floating buddy) and his son Jack in a fourteen foot Star raft, a few otters, numerous birds of prey, and a herd of wild horses.

Friday night before Saturday's predawn departure Mark and I began rolling the raft for loading. It was still inflated because we had poured Flexseal Raft Sealant Kit into the tubes the previous Tuesday and I wanted to be sure it was cured by Friday. The instructions say it's important to exchange the air several times to release solvents. I did exchange the air a couple of times, but apparently they really did mean several, because when we started rolling it was mighty tacky in there. I was concerned that it might not reinflate, but under the circumstances we decided the thing to do was roll, load and take our chances, but I couldn't shake my trepidation, so later that night I took it upon myself to load the frame that goes with my raft just in case. In order to do that I had to remove the oars, which I leaned against the fence confident that I'd remember to strap them back on top of the frame for transport. Need I say more? Four hours into the drive I looked back at the trailer for the 7800th time but from a different angle and espied an empty spot that should have been occupied by oars. :wht:

We arrived at Cedargrove around 11:00 (the time I had told Al we'd probably launch) and commenced the gong show that is our rigging procedure. Al won't admit it, but I know he was eyeing my new paddloars. I told him the patent was already pending, but I don't think he believed me, so I charged Mark with preventing him from getting too good a look until we could get them out of R&D and into the patent phase. I think he took me a little too literally, but more on that later. Al and Ana were very gracious and good humored throughout the debacle and we finally hit the water around 12:30. We all stopped for a late lunch below Welch spring, then they left us because there were others waiting for them at the takeout. We straggled down to Akers later that afternoon, and since we had already resolved to camp in that area Kinneth, Trenton and I went ahead to find our home for the night. We had a nice fire going (hand sanitizer squirted on leaves will burn long enough to ignite a big pile of sticks FYI) by the time the raft came into view. As soon as they were within ear shot Jack proceeded to snitch on his dad. It seems Mark had reached for another beer against his son's counsel and one of my beloved paddloars slipped into the cold depths of the river never to be seen again (at least not by us).

Undaunted we proceeded to set up camp, which Al might posit resembled the town of Eminence both in size and appearance. Mark cut a sycamore sapling (don't tell the ranger) for a new oar shaft then started dinner while I set to work on dessert. We frogged our sides with steaks, taters and banana cake around a white man fire and watched our party dwindle slowly as one after the other drifted off to bed. The next morning was chamber of commerce beautiful. The Donaldsons and their friends Bob and Carol paddled up to camp around 9:45 as we were attempting to recover from the morning's gluttony. We shoved off an our later for an oustanding day of floating including a long stop for photos of us all paddling/paddloaring/sycamoaring :ROFL: into and out of the cave. I can honestly say the previously recounted 36 or so hours are the best I've ever spent float camping.

I chatted with a couple who had hiked into the cave and they advised me that Monday's fifty percent chance of scattered thundershowers had become a ninety percent chance of rain and winds in excess of twenty mph. We held council at Pultite and determined the sensible thing would be to push as far as possible the rest of the day so we wouldn't be forced to battle the weather any longer than necessary on Monday. The Wallaces and I finally pulled up to a spot at 5:45 Sunday evening and settled in to await the arrival of Mark and Jack. Once they made it in we unloaded as little as possible and had a late dinner and hit the sack. The next morning they took a head start for Round Spring, which turned out to be under two miles down river, so our plan had worked out well. The rain never materialized, at least not while we were still in Missouri, but the wind was as bad as feared. I had loaded bow heavy in anticipation, but it was still a battle. Kinneth and Trenton were trimmed a little better since they were paddling tandem, so hopefully they didn't struggle as much. Mark said he and Jack fared better than expected. Their head start must have allowed them to miss the worst of it. I later learned the sycamoar had escaped his grasp under further dubious circumstances but floated a little better than the paddloar with EMT shaft and was subsequently recovered. We've resolved to preserve it intact for posterity.

We rendezvoused at the take out and Mark, Jack and Trenton derigged while Kinneth and I went after the trucks. A few hours later we were loaded and strapped down. We said our goodbyes and hit the road. I was looking forward to a burger and ice cream in Mammoth Spring (I highly recommend Jilly's Diner on 63 if you're not in a big hurry). We waddled out of there and hit the road for home, surprising our families by arriving well before dark.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Al Donaldson

Re: Current River Trip Report

Post by Al Donaldson » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:41 pm

All:

If Luke and crew managed to get to Round Spring ANY time on Monday, they did a great job, considering the headwind. (...and considering the "oarrible" situation with the raft propulsion...)

Hats off to 'em.

--al--
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Ave.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
alandonaldson@cfu.net
(319) 277-3194

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:34 pm

Great trip report Luke!

Jim

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:17 am

Sounds like one trip you'll be talking about for years to come Duece. :myday"
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:20 pm

Luke thank you for the report. It caused a combination of :confused: :ROFL: :poke2: :whistle: :clap: :crazy:
But I must say, it is trips like this that are remembered and any of us who have spent any time at all river camping can relate. We all have our stories.
Just remember: Crisis+Time= :ROFL:
Thank you for the report and for making me smile.
Last edited by Richard on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

Social Media