Looking for river to spend week on, May 25-31

Recreational and touring boaters

gds81
Name: David Schieffler

Looking for river to spend week on, May 25-31

Post by gds81 » Tue May 05, 2020 10:49 pm

Every May my we float/camp the Buffalo from Ponca to the White River in 6-7 days. Since the Buff is currently closed to overnight trips, we're looking for some new water. May 25-31, looking for a river where we can approach our typical mileage +/-100, ideally water that isn't very dependent on rainfall (which probably eliminates Mulberry, Big Piney, etc.). We're intermediate paddlers, all canoes no kayaks, looking for something with a nice mix of pools, runs, and class I-II+ in either AR or MO. Any suggestions? Have never floated the Current/Jack's Fork, looks great for desired mileage but perhaps a little slow at Class I? Have only previously floated the Kings from Rockhouse to the farm below Trigger Gap, am intrigued by idea of doing whole thing but understand AR74 down to Marble is very dependent on rainfall. Am also intrigued by upper Ouachita, but how high up can one reliably launch (McGuire's Access? Hwy88? Acorn/hwy71?)? Thanks in advance.

rockbeaverfork

Re: Looking for river to spend week on, May 25-31

Post by rockbeaverfork » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:08 pm

I'm also curious about the upper Ouachita. the Forest Service has this map posted. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 288894.pdf

I assume the closest gauge is maybe at mt ida? Anyone know a relative range for safe floating? Thanks in advance!

Social Media