Two Brohters Arkota

Paddling gear and boat review

Al Donaldson

Two Brohters Arkota

Post by Al Donaldson » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:47 pm

Good day.

When Ana and I came south for Rec School, we made a short detour over to Garfield (Avoca, actually) to test paddle the Arkota that Louis and William at Two Brothers are putting out. I was a bit impressed by the boat, as it came closer to my "ideal" 16 footer than any I've seen recently.

But, being a picky %@**, I really wanted a red boat and wished to install my own seats and thwarts, so I asked Louis to let me know when he'd have a red one in stock. He did so, and a couple of weeks ago, we headed down to pick up a "nearly bare" hull.

Then I got to thinking that I'd surely like to spend the weekend down in Arkansas paddling and not working on a boat, so I asked Louis and Bill to make me another one (this one in blue...), but with some significant outfitting changes.
They were willing, so I sent the following specs:

1) Widen the canoe to 36” by installing a wider portage thwart at the center position.
2) Move each seat 12” closer to the center of the boat.
3) Eliminate the thwart behind the portage thwart and install a shorter one 20” in front of the bow seat.
The intent of the changes:

The widening of the boat serves two purposes:

1) Moving the gunwales out serves to increase the final stability by forcing the hull walls out in the center. This change allows much more aggressive heeling of the canoe, as its resistance o heel increases as it is leaned over farther. (There is a tiny increase in initial stability, but that is of little importance, at least to this paddler.)

2) Due to the geometry of the hull, the widening also pulls the bow and stern of the boat up, increasing rocker. Since there is no industry standard for measuring rocker, I cannot report the “before” and “after” rocker with any meaningful numbers. This change allows the boat to turn more effortlessly. For what the fact is worth, the increase in rocker should also make the boat somewhat slower and make it track less well, but these characteristics are also of no importance for my purposes.

The centering of the paddling positions serves to centralize the mass of the paddlers in the canoe, reducing rotational inertia: this makes the boat spin with less effort and stop spinning with less effort. Most tandem canoes are set up with the seats rather far out from the center, making the mass of the boat similar to that of a barbell in configuration: this spacing makes for more cargo room in the center but hinders any turning capability of the canoe.

NOTE: Bill and Louis at Two Brothers Canoe have set the original seats in a much more centralized position on their stock Arkota than most manufacturers have done, but I wished it to be “even more so.”

With the seat changes described above, the need for an additional center thwart (for hull stiffness) went away. I had the bow thwart installed to give the bow paddler a place to anchor gear and to use as an assist in entering and exiting the boat.

Louis and Bill managed to get these items set up, and we picked up two boats (one to the above specs and one unoutfitted) on Friday, September 17.

Eric Esche, Ana and I put the modified boat onto Beaver Lake for its first outing the next morning: we tried it paddling tandem with two different sets of paddlers and all three of us paddled the boat solo (kneeling or sitting, as each preferred, using the bow seat with the boat turned backwards.) The results exceeded my expectations.

Padded tandem, the canoe turned almost as well as a dedicated whitewater boat but seemed to retain quite a bit of glide (not usually found in whitewater hulls.) The final stability was such that, even paddling an unfamiliar boat, we had little hesitation in heeling the boat until the gunwales touched the water.

On Saturday and Sunday, we got to test the canoe on Big Sugar Creek, the Elk River and on the Buffalo. The initial impressions gained on the lake held true when river paddling, as the canoe seemed to be right at home, especially when the going got tight in the quicker sections with obstacles.

Since bringing the canoe home, I've moved the center thwart another six inches back from the bow seat and will shortly replace it with a true kneeling thwart for more balanced solo paddling. I've also replaced the original 1/4” seat, thwart and handle carriage bolts with #10-24 stainless machine screws for easier removal and lighter weight.

All in all, the Arkota has far exceeded my expectations, as I had despaired of finding a currently-manufactured 16' canoe that would exhibit the turning capabilities of a whitewater boat while retaining the low profile of a lake boat. The Arkota does all of that and more, for a price that is quite astounding (The most similar canoe is probably an Esquif Canyon, at roughly twice the price plus freight!)

By the way, the Arkota is not a lightweight. The brothers use a much thicker layup of Royalex than anybody else does nowadays. This does add to the weight, but it also makes for an incredibly stiff and strong hull.

If you happen to be looking for a river tandem, be sure to look the Two Brothers Arkota over and give one a test paddle before deciding. If the characteristics that you are looking for are described above, it might just be the right boat. And the brothers just might be willing to outfit it your way.

Be well.

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Ave.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
alandonaldson@cfu.net
(319) 277-3194

Jaytee
Name: Julie

Re: Two Brohters Arkota

Post by Jaytee » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:52 pm

Based on my expertise, I would just like to add that Al is indeed a "picky %@**."
:crazy: :poke:

And it was great to paddle with him while they were down here.

Wildwood
Name: Jan Johnson

Post by Wildwood » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:17 pm

It was fun watching him leave a blue plastic trail down that stretch of the Buffy. :shock: Just a chip here and there, as the water was pretty low. Sure is a pretty boat. :clap:

Jan
Jan Johnson

"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave intending to arrive safely in an attractive, well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a paddle in your hands, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Al Donaldson

Post by Al Donaldson » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:27 pm

Grasshopper (Jaytee), you have learned well...

How is the search for the elusive solo river camping canoe coming, Jaytee?

I'd suggest that you think of speed as the LAST consideration for that type of boat (don't like to disagree with folks, but...) I've seen a good paddler, with little effort, move an Old Town Disco 169 solo past hard working tandem folks in very "fast" tripping canoes. And you have shown the kind of willingness to work on technique that will get you to that point.

If you haven't selected the "right" boat by the next time we come down, remind me to bring the Millbrook Souhegan down for you to paddle.

Jan:

There is something delightful about hammering a new boat into rocks -- ya gotta break them in correctly. In reality, I was impressed with the soft edges on you guys' rocks -- we tend towards much sharper ones up here in the frozen northland.

But I agree: the Arkota is one of the better looking canoes (if one cares for that sort of thing) to come out since Ralph F designed the Canadienne many years ago.

Be well...

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Ave.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
alandonaldson@cfu.net
(319) 277-3194

Dave Thomas
Name: Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:21 pm

Sa-weet boat Al! I especially like the color. Oh yeah, I need to give the boat builders Bill and Louis kudos too. Having a boat custom built and outfitted to your own specifications is definitely a cool thing. Arkansas is very fortunate to have multiple canoe companies that offer that. I haven't had the opportunity to paddle a Two Brothers - Arkota before. Based on the similar hull designs and details, it would probably behave much like the Mohawk - Intrepid. I didn't see any knee pads in your boat. If you're interested, Mohawk Canoe Co. offers hand cut 8x10x1, 8x12x1, and contoured kneepads that start at only $20 (shipping included). For more details on kneepads and other handmade outfitting gear, visit Mohawk's Outfitting Store at: http://www.mohawkcanoes.com/accessories.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mohawk_kneepads.jpg
mohawk_kneepads.jpg (1.39 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
mohawk_contouredkneepads.jpg
mohawk_contouredkneepads.jpg (1.83 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
Last edited by Dave Thomas on Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paddle on,
Dave Thomas
dthomas@mohawkcanoes.com

Lupe
Name: Heather Huckeba

Post by Lupe » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Al Donaldson wrote:I'd suggest that you think of speed as the LAST consideration for that type of boat (don't like to disagree with folks, but...) I've seen a good paddler, with little effort, move an Old Town Disco 169 solo past hard working tandem folks in very "fast" tripping canoes. And you have shown the kind of willingness to work on technique that will get you to that point.
Ah, so if I had only been willing to work on my technique, then I could have made my little Solo 14 keep up with Cowper's Rendezvous. I admit, I worried that it was all operator error. If I only I knew better technique...

Then a funny thing happened. Cowper and Debo got matching camo Solo 13 and Solo 14 canoes: just like my Solo 14 canoe. The darndest thing happened! Suddenly, I could keep up with them just fine. So it just goes to show: I guess they don't have such good technique either. :!: :poke: :lol:
I've heard that into every life a little of it must fall,
but you'll never catch me complaining about too much of that southern rain.
~ Michael Timmins, Cowboy Junkies

TBC
Commercial Member
Name: Louis Shaw

Post by TBC » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:39 am

Al,
We are pleased you are enjoying your new water sleds. Thanks again!

Louis

Social Media