Cancelled

Organize your paddling trips here, or find out about upcoming trips you may want to join

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Cancelled

Post by Deuce » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:46 am

Some uninformed sheeple refer to National Current River Day weekend as Presidents Day weekend. Those of you discerning enough to know the truth are welcome to join our annual trip Saturday, February 14th through Monday, February 16th.

First we must address the elephant in the room. I have fully considered the implications of a Valentine Day launch, but I'm here to solve that problem for you because I'd rather light a candle than curse your darkness! All you have to do is tell your significant other (assuming he/she is the type to hold missing Valentine Day agin' ya) your desire can't be contained another 24 hours and you must have that romantic evening Friday night. You're welcome! :thumbup:

Now that that's out of the way on to important matters. At present we intend to run from Cedar Grove to Round Spring. As anyone who has made the questionable decision to join one of these expeditions will attest, all plans are subject to change until we're on the water. :confused: We'll plan to assemble at the Cedar Grove access Saturday morning around 10:00 in order to rig and be on the water by 11:00. Those of you who have joined us before know this means we'll arrive at the Cedar Grove access around 11:15 and be on the water by 12:30.

As always there will be a diverse fleet comprising rafts, canoes and kayaks. Might be an inner tube for all I know. We don't discriminate. There will be kids along, so if you got em bring em. They make these trips extra special and are mighty handy to have around when the wood pile has been depleted or dishes need washing. They're also very good at finding hork sign.
Y
Our pace will be very relaxed. We generally travel around thirty miles total, stopping to camp between 3:00 and 4:00 unless the spirit moves us to go farther and launching between 10:00 and 11:00 the next morning. There are many opportunities for short side hikes to very cool sights. We'll take them all.

If you haven't done the Current, or if you have done the Current but not in winter you should strongly consider joining us. It's a different river this time of year. It's a class I stream that requires a modicum of boat control but shouldn't give anyone problems. The drunks are in hibernation (except for the ones in our party :poke2:) and the critters are ready to put on a show. Expect to see plenty of eagles and other birds of prey in addition to the usual four legged friends, and you haven't lived til you've heard a coyote concert while bellied up to a big gravel bar fire under God's planetarium. One word of caution; if you're fortunate enough to encounter a hork do not approach under any circumstances.

It's too soon to discuss meals since we don't have a bead on personnel but at the least there will be plenty of prep table and stove space available as well as cooking utensils.

As always details will be provided as they materialize, but if you have questions post them here, email or PM me or even feel free to call or text 501-951-8635 and I'll do my bestest to provide you with the answer(s) you crave.
Last edited by Deuce on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Richard

Re: National Current River Day Is Almost Here!

Post by Richard » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:41 pm

:myday" I am putting my name on the list. Zoe says it will depend on the weather for Patrick and her. Thank you Luke for all you do.

P.S. I aint worried about no Horks . . . ets them coonacorns thet worry me. :ROFL:
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:44 am

Richard wrote: :myday" I am putting my name on the list. Zoe says it will depend on the weather for Patrick and her. Thank you Luke for all you do.

P.S. I aint worried about no Horks . . . ets them coonacorns thet worry me. :ROFL:
The thing one must watch for when coonacorns are around is their propensity to pull giant ice flows off bluff faces and into boats. :wht:
You come too.
Robert Frost

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:59 am

:myday" That was my observation as well. With the emphasis on "Giant".
We are all afflicted with Cognitive Dissonance. The greater our religious, social, financial or political affiliation, the greater the affliction. We hear what we want to hear. We believe what we want to believe. Truth becomes irrelevant.

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:47 pm

Richard wrote: :myday" That was my observation as well. With the emphasis on "Giant".
I can't fault that particular coonacorn for her behavior as I know where she gets it.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Miner Paddler

Post by Miner Paddler » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:20 pm

New water, old friends? We're in.
I came, I saw, I left little, where hell are my glasses?

Deuce
ACC President

Re: National Ozark National Scenic Riverways Day Is Almost H

Post by Deuce » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:02 am

Don't correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is Washington's Birthday was co-opted to accomodate the commemoration of other presidents too. Typical nanny state meddling. Don't want any of the other dead presidents' feelings to be hurt by any exclusionary holiday practices, but I digress. In keeping with this new inclusive mentality the authorities have determined it would be appropriate to rename National Current River Day National Ozark National Scenic Riverways Day. Furthermore, the authorities have determined that in order to engender confidence in this decision it would be fitting for them to make an immediate and meaningful gesture in support of it. Therefore, in light of this recent development we have resolved to move the Current River trip to the Eleven Point. (Also the Current's too low.)

We will launch at Greer Spring Saturday and run down to a high bank island just above Horseshoe Bend Float Camp where we'll set up housekeeping. Some will stay there two nights while others will head to the takeout Sunday. The island is pretty big and will offer plenty of entertainment including really good wade fishing.

It's winter time and will feel like it this weekend but at present the forecast isn't too bad and the Eleven Point is a really special river, so consider joining us!

Questions (other than questioning my sanity which is as rhetorical as a question can be)? You know where to find me.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Social Media