Possible new purchase advice please

Open Discussion

Miner Paddler

Possible new purchase advice please

Post by Miner Paddler » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:06 am

I found a garage kept 2000 one owner Old Town Cascade. The wife and I want to up our skills in Eddie turns surf play, etc. and go beyond canoe camping on the Buffalo. Anyone think 875.00 is way to excessive to land an endangered ww boat as the Cascade? With loss the of Royalex it seems a good find for us. Thoughts please. See you at school.
I came, I saw, I left little, where hell are my glasses?

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Re: Possible new purchase advice please

Post by Deuce » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:38 am

It's true Royalex is extinct, but its replacement, T-Formex, is in production and there are boats made from it on the water now. That should deter would be gougers but many of said gougers may not have gotten the message yet. I wouldn't call the seller a gouger necessarily, but $875 for an eighteen year old obscure canoe is a bit excessive IMO. That's nearly half the cost of a brand new T-Formex boat. I think $600 should be about the top provided the boat's immaculate including the outfitting. I think you can do better. Happy hunting!
You come too.
Robert Frost

Randy Dodson

Post by Randy Dodson » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:05 am

Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I have owned an OT Cascade for the past 20 years, and would gladly pay 875 for another one if it was in mint condition. Mine is still going strong but has hundreds and hundreds of hard miles on it, and the royalex is still in better condition than newer boats I own or have owned.
If you choose not to buy it, please send me a PM to let me know how to contact the seller.
If you choose to buy a new canoe, the Esquif Pocket Canyon is the closest thing to it and they are making those in T-Formex.
Parrot Head Paddler

Miner Paddler

Post by Miner Paddler » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:09 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback. Had a wonderful road trip to Atlanta Ga with the wife; spent more than I wanted to on the boat. In general it a decent boat -more scars than I would want, the scars are neglective abuse scars, but I had made the drive so it was coming home. So, Heather and I are ready to play. Now to find some willing yakers at Rockport to play safety boats for swimmers working the learning curve...
I came, I saw, I left little, where hell are my glasses?

Randy Dodson

Post by Randy Dodson » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:15 pm

Congrats on a really fantastic tandem WW canoe. I've had mine on many rivers up to class III+ both tandem and solo. I've also taught tandem classes at Canoe School in it. It's a great boat to surf folks at Rockport who've never enjoyed the pleasure of surfing. Hope you enjoy it as much as much as I've enjoyed mine. :canoe:
Parrot Head Paddler

Social Media