Lower back problems

Open Discussion

ejbarton
Name: Eli Barton

Lower back problems

Post by ejbarton » Thu May 19, 2016 3:04 pm

I've been having significant lower back pain, and I believe it is made worse by my kayak outfitting.

I paddle an old Dagger Redline (similar to an RPM), and it's outfitting is super basic. Hard plastic seat, basic backhand, and none of it has much adjustability. I've done some testing and I think the main problem is the back band. I think I'm going to replace it with an IR Reggie backband or something similar. Does anyone have any backband suggestions, or suggestions for other ways to alleviate my back pain?

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Re: Lower back problems

Post by Deuce » Fri May 20, 2016 8:28 am

Can't help you with outfitting although it sounds like your plan for that will help. However, there are some physiological things you can do. First, if you're carrying any extra baggage around the waist line get rid of as much as possible. I'm not assuming you do, just saying if you do that's a (the) major contributing factor. I know from experience. Second, start stretching before you paddle. There are some great lower back stretches that feel so good you'll want to do them all the time, even when you're not about to paddle. Child's pose is a dandy. Google if you're not familiar. My description would probably just be confusing. Another is the scorpion. Lie on your stomach and rotate one leg at a time over the other with your toe pointing toward the ground on the other side of the straight leg. Keep everything from the waist up as flat on the ground as possible. Hold for a LONG time then switch legs. Do the exact same thing on your back. Those three will help a lot, but you also need to pay attention to the glutes and hamstrings which are likely part of your problem. Lie on your back and place one leg over the other in a figure four position. Lock your hands around the shin below the leg that's not crossed and pull it toward your chest. Hold a long time then do the other leg. Repeat. Feels good! There are lots of others but those four will help a lot.
You come too.
Robert Frost

ejbarton
Name: Eli Barton

Post by ejbarton » Fri May 20, 2016 10:03 am

Thanks a lot. I will definitely try some of those stretches.

-Eli

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Fri May 20, 2016 10:38 am

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot to mention core exercises. They strengthen the rest of your midsection thereby reducing stress on your lower back. Just be sure to do them right or they'll make things worse. Planks and dead lifts are two good ones. If you have access to a personal trainer one session would be sufficient to get you pointed in the right direction on this stuff. It would be $40-$50 well spent.
You come too.
Robert Frost

JB2012
Name: James

Post by JB2012 » Fri May 20, 2016 4:49 pm

And, there is also this other kind of boat, called a "canoe." They are a lot more comfortable.

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Tue May 24, 2016 12:38 pm

JB2012 wrote:And, there is also this other kind of boat, called a "canoe." They are a lot more comfortable.
Then you only have to deal with knee problems and feet falling asleep.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Social Media