OKC Whitewater Park

Open Discussion

Gordon Kumpuris
ACC Communications

OKC Whitewater Park

Post by Gordon Kumpuris » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:24 pm

Posting this for a new ACC Member. The Oklahoma City Boathouse Foundation
--------------

The city of Oklahoma City is building a huge, dual channel "pumped" whitewater park, to be managed by the Oklahoma City Boathouse Foundation.
Here is a link to updated construction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyVK...ature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I recently moved to Oklahoma City to build the team of staff to operate the course. We are scheduled to open to the public in May 2016. We will run the rafting operation and kayak instruction operation very similar to most commercial outfitters without having to run shuttle basically. The course be class II - IV and will be completely variable, thus giving us ample opportunity to build great surfing waves and holes....right in downtown OKC. We're building a restaurant/bar and stage in the park.

Based on the possible guest attendance and through-put as well as the proforma, I will have plenty of raft guide and kayak instructor jobs for the 2016 season and beyond. I have planned for 3-4 salaried/management positions in raft and kayak departments that I'm now accepting applications and interviewing for in the coming months. My goal is to have the management team in place by late winter 2016.

I will also be seeking 15-25 veteran raft guides and 5-10 kayak instructors interested in guiding/teaching in Oklahoma City for 2016. We will start teaching raft guiding to locals as soon as we have water, but the park will need several skilled/veteran guides to bring the river culture to Oklahoma City and make this project the real deal. The citizens of OKC are fired up, so we need good people to deliver a killer experience.

If you have any interest and/or want to hear more about the project feel free to shoot me an email...
Dave Hepp dhepp@okcbf.org

And here is a link to our website and career page:

Careers - Boathouse District

Thanks and please spread the word!! We'll be surfing in OKC soon...
Skoboten!

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Re: OKC Whitewater Park

Post by okieboater » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:31 am

Big Time congrats to the boaters and most importantly the citizens of Oklahoma City for making this facility happen.

Gonna be world class and open up Cowboy Country as a destination for white water fun!

Well done to all who made it happen and yes I am impressed!
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

panicman

Post by panicman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:14 pm

Looks like i will be wearing out I-40

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:08 pm

Awesome! Can't wait to tell people about the beatdowns I took in OKC. :ROFL: Cereally though, that's an amazing accomplishment and I really look forward to seeing it firsthand. Hope it's a huge success for a long time. Congratulations to a neat town.
You come too.
Robert Frost

djrottman
Name: Don

Post by djrottman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:14 pm

Has this type of facility ever been explored here in the Little Rock market?

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:26 pm

If memory correct, Fish did a lot of work on an Arkansas WW park in several places around the state.

maybe Fish will jump in or someone in Fayetteville who remembers more than I do will.

Having worked to create a WW Park here in Tulsa for longer than I can remember, it takes a bunch of support from local citizens and organizations with lots of money to help finance WW Parks. With money being the most difficult thing to get done.

Oklahoma City got the project done. Siloam Springs along with the Walton Foundation did the same.

Rest of us will keep on working.

Meanwhile, please join Panicman and me on I-40 and the Tulsa to OKC Turnpike next summer.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Social Media