Feed back on Siloam Spring Kayak park

Open Discussion
Charles1967
Name: Charles

Re: Feed back on Siloam Spring Kayak park

Post by Charles1967 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:44 pm

panicman wrote:1 more thing. Maybe drop a few more in stream boulders a bit up river of the features creating some small eddys that people could use to practice eddy turns/peel outs ect.
Like that idea. Wouldn't even mind seeing one below the second feature [not TOO close] for a good catch spot. :thumbup:
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

Heath

Post by Heath » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:22 am

I have not been to the park, but, isnt there side channels that allow water to pass through? Seams to me that those channels should only start coming into play at much higher water levels. If blocked of at these lower/ normal flows, it would force more water through the designed feature, this would make for a much more dynamic feature as well!

Im going to use dierks as an example and something to think about. At 200-300 cfs there is a small wave up by the camp grounds. 15ft or so wide with a foam pile all the way across. Low angle wheels and spins both directions. ( loops ) have been done there at 200cfs Anything over 350 and the wave is gone.

The 1st wave/ hole is best from 250-400 any hole move you can think of can be done there!
This feature is narrower by about 5ft or so, that raises the pool level above to help create more drop, also deepens the feature. Above 400 and the feature is flushy and hard to stay in.

At the same time, at least you guys have something close that runs year round!!

paddledog

Post by paddledog » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:17 pm

The side channels are fish ladders that must run all the time.
They do make good places to direct rookies that only want to
float down to 59.
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fish

Post by Fish » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:07 pm

I've been there twice with my kids, coming down from Kansas City - this is an amazing thing for NW AR (wish I'd have thought of it years ago... ;) )

From a safety standpoint, there should be better signage for the general public. Wear PFD, discussion of high water hazards, hazards of diving or swimming headfirst, etc. Also, the bottom drop has some rock/concrete that can and does scrape/bruise folks at lower flows - and maybe presents an entrapment hazard - that should be addressed soon.

From a kayak playboating standpoint, top drop is good at the low-meduim flows I've seen so far. Vertical moves possible behind the wave, but not great. Main wave is excellent for surfing, not too friendly for spins. Eddies are very good for access to the wave and will park a number of boats - well designed. Lower feature needs some work at lower levels to be any good. It's not an easy or friendly feature for beginner-intermediates (too shallow, not easy to access, not retentive), and it's not great for advanced boaters since vertical moves are difficult/risky. Narrowing the chute down would help for normal summer flow, and cleaning up the ledge/rock at the bottom to make it smoother and improve the transition to deeper water would help too.

I've seen folks wanting a campground, but with the beautiful Lake Wedington 20 min away, seems to me that's covered. And a splat rock is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how to do it without creating a problem for joe-average-canoer who is just trying to make it down the rapid upright. A tricky proposition, but if it can happen would be fun to have.

Overall, a great park for the area - I'll be heading down every chance I get.

mgood

Post by mgood » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:12 am

Fish

There currently is a rock in the runout- it's just taking more plastic off than I would like. I'm dreaming of something smooth to get my dizzy on, not blasted rock.

I had an idea yesterday. Maybe raising the second pool would solve some of the problems with the second feature? It would make the hole deeper and this would be great for the low summertime flow. The ledge itself would still need to be narrowed/leveled out. It could also (possibly) make a third feature on the runout of the second pool. At the right level, there is a wave underneath the bridge upstream created by some key rock placement- we could get another wave out of raising the pool. Just an idea...

Robbie
Name: RobB

Post by Robbie » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:53 pm

Steve, thanks for the report tonight on the Siloam Springs KAYAK Park. Good things happening! :clap:

RobB

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:07 pm

I couldn't make the meeting. What great news did 'Dog have?-M-
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

paddledog

Post by paddledog » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:12 am

magicmike wrote:I couldn't make the meeting. What great news did 'Dog have?-M-
We all voted you to be the official park "Shuttle Bunny".
You are to wait at the bottom gravel bar and carry everyones boat back to the top for them.
Or something like that.......
Really I will post back here soon, there is a laundry list of things both approved and suggested
for the park. No time this morn.......

arkansas-santa1
Name: Jerry Roller

Post by arkansas-santa1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:42 am

I couldn't make it last nite, too tired from cutting wood.

I thought Mike was already the shuttle stud , at least he helps the old and infirm carry their boats to the top. Can't wait to hear about the changes. Love the Ford looking forward to getting back soon.

paddledog

Post by paddledog » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:50 am

Ok, here is the laundry list.
It is broke into two groups.
1. These are the things approved of at last Safety Committee.
Cooking will be by permit only. Sounds bad until you consider the charcoal ashes that have been poured into the landscaping. If you wanted to have family cook out, get a free permit.
No fishing - It is too hard to control around swimmers and boaters and nobody wants to deal with the tackle left hung under the water. The park is 600 feet of a very long river.
No glass containers in the park. Not in the parking lot and of course not in the river. Broken bottles and booties don't mix.
Pets. All pets must be under physical or voice control.
Regulating the intersection north of the park. The last turn on pavement is a Y that has no regulation. A yield sign will be put on the road that comes in from the West. Just be aware when approaching the intersection.
The city would like to partner with us and others on a regular late spring party. This would be planned as an annual event. Working title is - Whitewater Awareness Day - This would be similar to the Grand Opening that was canceled. Target audience would be both encouraging out of area paddlers to attend and introducing wanna-be paddlers to a safe environment to try boating.

2. These are items that have been suggested to the city by the engineers on their one year check up.
Fix benches in changing rooms.
More picnic tables on the rise river right below the second feature.
Shade awning over porta-johns.
Raising to level of the second pool by aprox. 18". And further evaluation of the debris below the second wave.
Raising the level would not only bring the water up to meet the slab but also move the wave a few feet downstream to help clear any dangers.

These are most of the items.
If you have any feed back let me know and I will address them at the meeting tomorrow. (10/2)
Post back here or PM me.

adamm
Name: adam

Post by adamm » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:09 pm

Raising the level of the pool will make the bottom feature a wave more than a hole. Is this what they are going for? I hope not. Having a hole feature has been awesome, and with a little bit of work it could be made to be really sweet. A place where we can learn more than just how to front and back surf. Loops, cartwheels and the like have been done out here with the right water level. I hope this will be a place where the paddler can continue to grow and learn instead of having two separate waves to practice the same skills.
"Ok... set safety and watch me get stupid." Pierce

Social Media